DVD drive keeps ejecting discs back

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Polanker, Mar 15, 2008.

Mar 15, 2008
  1. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    I'm having a really big problem with my Wii. The Wii has a Wiikey (1.9g) and 3.1U Wii firmware. It is a LAUNCH Wii and I had the Wiikey installed by someone else back in June 2007.

So yesterday at a friend's house I was playing my SSBB backup fine. I stopped playing because we went to go eat. Then we came back and I wanted to try the Wi-Fi mode in SSBB. So I set up the Wireless connection then it asks me to "Perform a System Update?" after the connection test. So I put yes because I read here that the newest 3.2U firmware doesn't mess up the Wiikey.

Then I tried to load the SSBB backup in the Wii menu and get a "Cannot read disc error". I look to the Wii to eject the disc and see that it is not on the bed (where we left it) but on the floor instead. I guess it must of slid off when my friend sat on the bed. But the bed is very low so I don't think the Wii fell hard if at all since we didn't even hear that it had fallen.

So I pick up the Wii, press the Eject button and the disc ejects, then goes back in the drive and then ejects again and falls to the floor. It does all that with one press of the Eject button. And trying to put any disc back in the drive yields the same result of the drive ejecting back the disc.

The only time the drive won't eject the disc back out is on the black warning screen when you power on the Wii, but I'll still get a "Cannot read disc" message in the Wii Disc channel.

Discs I have tried:
    GCN backups: Do NOT work
    Wii backups: Do NOT work
    Retail GCN games: DO WORK
    Retail Wii games: Zelda works, but Wii Sports does NOT work.

What could be wrong with my Wii? I already opened it up and see that the Wiikey is still secure inside and not loose.

2. MelonSmasher

Newcomer MelonSmasher Advanced Member

Netherlands
    take care of your wii. It may not fell hard but those small hardware things can easily break. Did you check if you wii drive is correct in your wii. I dont know if it works but maybe you can use the update disc for wiikey.

3. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    After some more testing, I noticed that the Wii will stop spinning the disc right after I inserted. The only exception being for Twilight Princess and retail GCN games.
    So is there something I can do to fix my DVD drive since it's obviously busted now?

4. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    the gears, and their axles, that drive the Wii loading mechanism are simply not stout enough. Our launch Japanese Wii made the occasional grindy-crunchy sound from time to time right from the start, then eventually the drive failed. When it happened, the disc went in amongst a cacophony of crunches, then wouldn't eject. I got inside (it had already been modded, and sending it back to Japan for repair wasn't a realistic option anyway) and found one of the axles in the drivetrain had snapped off clean. I repaired it, but the damage from all those gears crunching was already done. After a few more days of successful operation, teeth started breaking off the gears. These teeth are pitifully small (about .5mm in width, 1mm long), and the mechanism as a whole is simply too delicate for a console for kids.

We've bought another Wii, and so far it is smooth and silent when loading. My kids have received some very explicit instructions about how to insert discs and that there should never, ever be any reverse force against the pull of the loading mechanism once it starts sucking the disk in. But if this one also goes bad, it will not surprise me even a little. At least this time we'll have warranty. I won't mod this one due to the failure we already had with the other.

The Wii is Nintendo's best console ever, but it does not live up to their rep for durable hardware.

5. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    I tried using a Retail SSBB disc and it WORKS great. So I would assume that the problem is with my Wiikey now?

6. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well if the disc stops spinning then the drivechip didn't allow the disc.

Check your connections.

7. stuffed

Newcomer stuffed Member

Israel
    Dear Polanker....

I just had the same damn problem!!!
    after updating to 3.2, the wiikey stopped working...
    and all had to do with SSBB....

Same things happend to me...
    discs were ejected like you said and nothing was read...
    not even originals...
    after very much nerves, i took apart my wii to learn that nothing is wrong with the chip wiring...
    in order to fix your problem you have to do the following thing... I did it as a desperate measure before going to the mod shop and IT HELPED!

It seems that there's a bad mix including the following things: Wiikey 1.9g firmware, nintendo 3.2 firmware and SSBB game...
    The only thing and eventually saved me was the recovery disc 1.9b...

NOW THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! YOU HAVE TO BURN IT ON DVD-R MEDIA!!! NOT +R NOT +RW...
    I have not idea why is it like that, but its the only way you can fix the problem!!!

Follow the next steps:
    1) burn recovery disc 1.9b on dvd-r media
    2) put and original disc in the wii and turn it on
    3) wait until it appears in channel
    4) take it out and insert recovery disc
    5) wait 10 seconds and reboot
    6) now this is the most important step... system back up WAIT ATLEAST 3 mins.
    7) dont touch anything, you'll see nothing happends and you'll hear nothing...
    8) after 1.5 mins you'll hear the drive initialize
    9) wait another 2 mins just in case
    10) power off...

when you power on your wii should be ok....

i think the 1.9g beta just screws up the drive when combined with 3.2 firmware...

8. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada

Hey Polanker

Let me give ya some good advice [​IMG] Your Wii fell on the *floor* dude. Who knows what damage could've been done. Take your WiiKey out and send the console to Nintendo. Take advantage of the free SSBB issue repair program.

My Wii was ejecting discs like yours after trying to play Brawl retail a few times. It progressed to the point where the disc wasn't going in 100% and wouldn't eject at all sometimes, one even got stuck and had to be carefully pried out. Anyways, I called Nintendo, explainined the current situation and told the tech it was kind of ironic that the problems started with the Brawl retail. He actually told me they've been getting a few calls similar to yours and mine and that since the issues I was having, though rare, may have been caused by Brawl or Brawl related, they'd service my Wii for free. Free shipping to and from is also included as part of the Brawl repair program. He said they'd check it over, do any necessary repairs, and ensure Brawl was working flawlessly. Keep in mind the warranty had long been expired. So yeah, don't worry about them suspecting you of anything shady.

Anyways, I sent it out on a Tuesday and it was there Wednesday. Repairs were done by that Friday and it'll be back in my hands and like new (humming gone too, yay) by this coming Monday or Tuesday. They actually popped in a new drive assembly. The drive is listed as a $75.00 charge with no warranty coverage so I was pretty happy about that. The only thing that isn't the greatest is that my D2A drive will now likely be D2C or newer. Which means the WiiKey won't work anymore, but it's no big deal.

anyways, good luck.

9. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I had the same problem when i had wiikey, one of my wires was touching an other
    I put some tape around every wire and problem was fixed

10. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States

I'm gonna try this and report my results here! I have to get a DVD-R from a friend [​IMG]

11. stuffed

Newcomer stuffed Member

Israel
    you really should.. i was very skeptic about that first...
    mainly because i had no -r medias and didnt think it'll make much differance...
    but then i found some old -r discs laying around and decided to try, and it worked!!!
    i'm just happy it's behind me... never gonna upgrade to 1.9g again...
    today with the tools available, everything could be patched if you do it right.. so no need in buggy beta hotfixes... *spit*!

12. Crescent

Member Crescent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    so how did it work polanker?

13. charkage

Newcomer charkage Newbie

United States
    I had the same problem here when I did the 15% trick on SSBB (J).

Well.. now, when i go play any games (just when u turn ON the Wii in the first time), i have to turn ON the Wii and wait because the driver seems to be reading something and so turn off then turn ON again, so the games works fine.

=)

PS.: Sorry for my English x_x

14. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    I tried it with JVC DVD-R at 1x using IMGburn and it does NOT work.

I have 1 more DVD-R left. Can anyone link me to the 1.9b recover disc that they used?

15. stok3d

Member stok3d Retro Gaming Inc.

Canada
    when the wii automatially spits a disc back out at you it indicates something is physically wrong with the drive assembly, the wiikey has dick all to do with that.

the recovery disc is all over the net, do a google search, although it sounds like your wii's dvd drive isn't long for this world [​IMG] i would wager it won't read DL media either.

16. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    No, my Wii reads and plays legit GCN and Wii games perfectly including SSBB.
    And I also noticed that it doesn't always spit the disc back. But it still does it from time to time.

17. stuffed

Newcomer stuffed Member

Israel
    i used the link i found on the forums...
    did you do all the steps??
    maybe try another media?

coz it didnt worked for me either first time when i used ba media...

18. Polanker
    OP

Newcomer Polanker Member

United States
    What media did you use, stuffed?

19. stuffed

Newcomer stuffed Member

Israel
    actually i used some very crappy media, when i think about it...
    it was some dvds branded "Xerox" that i bought long time ago for 50c a piece...
    maybe you should try again... and make sure you follow the steps i described...

otherwise you should try open the console to check if the modchip is ok, and no wires broke when the wii fell down...
    although i still think its a firmware problem of the chip, because i had the same stuff happend to me and i didnt drop it...
    what did happend is i cut the power off, just as you did to move it...
    i also moved it to my gf's house, where all this shit started...
    so my advice is maybe try again with other media that you have, probably should use a good one i think...

20. stlrivals

Newcomer stlrivals Newbie

United States
    Ok I am having the same problem I have tried the recovery with multiple dvd-r's
    TDK
    SONY
    Verbatim

Burnt with 1x and 4x

All with the same result

I put in twilight princess
    wait for the disk to show up in the menu
    I put in the recovery disk
    wait 10 seconds and reset
    I then wait for 3-5 minutes
    power off
    power on
    eject disk
    and try a backup.
    No luck.

I have tried this several attempts with no luck.

Any ideas?