dvd burning question

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by iza, Mar 20, 2007.

Mar 20, 2007

dvd burning question by iza at 4:31 PM (803 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. iza
    OP

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    I have a pioneer 111D, and memorex 12x DVD+R's... First does it normally take such a long time to burn a DVD?? okay, I'm useing nero 7 (newest?) and i used nero vision to burn 8 episodes of the boondocks onto a dvd... well, of course it starts off okay, but the picture slowly falls behind the sound.... i'm also using an old dell computer with only 128megs of ram... any solutions/ideas? thanks!!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sound going out of sync is usually the fault of VBR audio (normally MP3) and the inability of default AVI splitters to take it, as for the long time nerovision is a transcoder so yeah time will be a problem.

The best solution unfortunately is to demux the audio and redo it as CBR audio before serving it into your encoder.

This thread details some stuff you may want:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=45787&hl=author

3. iza
    OP

United States
    i will definantly check out dvdflick when i get home... but could you explain a little more about the 'VRB Audio', 'AVI splitters', 'transcoder', ' demux the acount/redo it as cbr b4 serving it'? lol.. i know thats alot, but i'd appreciate it..

4. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    VBR= variable bit rate, basically as stuff may not be quite as complex throughout (one section could be something like a chant whereas the next is a guitar solo) you do not need to waste space compressing the simple stuff either saving space overall or quality for the complex stuff.

Transcode, it involves converting one form of compression/encoding to another (i.e. DVD to mpeg4, Wave to MPEG1 audio layer 3 (MP3) or even BMP to Jpeg) or changing the degree of compression (one of the functions of nero recode, DVD shrink and the like).

AVI splitter, AVI stands for audio video interleave and is a way of merging audio and video into a file. The files/concepts used in merging audio (sometimes more than 1 stream), video and subtitles are known as containers, common ones being MPEG, AVI, OGG, MKV, RM/RMVB, FLV (youtube video amongst other things), Vob (DVDs), WMV, ASF, MP4 and quicktime and I suppose around here DPG. A splitter is simply something that then seperates the required streams and sends them on for decoding.

AVI was defined many years ago and did not age well with new concepts like subtitles, variable frame rate and variable bit rate. A few individuals decided to implement them anyway to their tools and splitters though which caused and still causes headaches such as the one you are seeing.

Demuxing is the action of removing a stream from a container (muxing on the other hand is adding to a container), there are a few tools to do this for most containers but if you load it up in virtual dub that will probably be the best bet, hit audio and check full processing and then choose your compression (make sure video is set to directstream copy) before hitting save as AVI.

5. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    memorex are the worst quality media, iv burned 30+ ps2 games and they all crapped out in less than a week

6. iza
    OP

United States
    well, they were free... and even if they do crap out... it's the best thing to learn on right?

so, useing virtual dub or DVDflicks will allow me to maybe edit some of these settings, and provide a 'in-sync' dvd? if so. which settings would i look to change?

In the beginning, all seems alright, but by the 3rd episode, hell, maybe even the second (i didnt watch that one), the sound is way ahead of the video.... would i need to adjust the sound compresion?

7. iza
    OP

United States
    i hate to bump this, but does DVD Flick allow for basic menu creation? i didnt see it when i was burning the first volume... the first volume looks to be alright(4 episodes in...) but, i cant skip forward by chapter, i'll let me skip back to it, but i cant skip to the next one (action unavailable), on the second one, i enabled a chapter creation at 'every video source'. will this solve my problem and allow me to skip between video files on the DVD as skipping chapters?

8. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have not used DVD flick since early release candidates so I doubt I can be of much help, a quick scan through of the sites suggests you are not in luck though.

In that case it gets a bit more complex (i.e. you probably need to click more than 10 times), might I point you towards http://www.dvdplanner.com/help_files/index.html or http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl

You will have to encode your own streams (although you might be able to get away with using DVD flicks), if it comes down to using the former I suggest using either HCEnc or QuEnc (both available from the same site):
    http://www.bitburners.com/Software/Downloa..._Encoder_v0.19/

9. iza
    OP

United States
    would it walk me through encoding my own streams? or like you said, could i some how save it from dvdflick into a dvd format (?) and just process that through the dvdauthor to make a menu for it?

Sorry, i'm at work, so i cant test it, so i'm trying to get all my info. before getting there, since one disc took like 7 hours on my slow ass comp...

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    You will end up with an AC3 stream (maybe dts, MP2 or wave/PCM) but I suggest using AC3, this is your audio.

m2v is your video stream.

You simply add these in the appropriate places (both sites I linked have good guides to it), add a menu and hit go.

As for actual encoding you are not likely to get a simple walkthrough (the apps that do are damn expensive or nearly useless) both of those apps are AVIsynth based (HCEnc also takes d2v input but that is really only needed for TV rips you have done yourself and DVD rips). HCEnc is probably the easier route for this as you can do a lot of the hard stuff (resizing, ensuring compliance etc in app).

Of course if you already have the DVD (and are happy with the quality) you can simply demux the video using DGIndex and remake it into a DVD (such a course of action will perhaps take 10 mins first time through):
    DGMPGDec:
    http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html

I realise this is getting fairly complex fairly quickly but once you have done it 3 or 4 times it will start to become second nature.

11. iza
    OP

United States
    on the doom9 site, it says it should only burn 15 at 4x, is the rest of the 7 hr time for encoding and all that fancy techno jargon? will those tools speed that up at all?

but i know my comps old, and i dont think the hd is on par as far as access speed is concerned (it slike 8 yrs old), could that be why it takes so long? and would getting another internal hd remedy this? or would i need new cables/motherboad or anything like that to get the advantage of a 7200rpm drive?

also, lets just say i have a new dvdrip(already in it's directories), do i need to do anything to get it to play, or just burn it the same way i am these individual video files, or do i need to make it into an iso or something?

12. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Video encoding is probably the most demanding task a computer can do (only CAD and possibly computer games come close).
    With regard to the HDD upgrade, I doubt that it is HDD access delays limiting rate of encoding but a big drive is usually useful for all things video (especially DVDs as MPEG2 is not the most effecient standard).
    I would have to have model numbers of your motherboard before I could say definitively but you will probably need to upgrade it if is that old (if you have a USB 2.0 port either onboard or via card then an external drive usually pays dividends).
    Of course if your machine lacks RAM then virtual memory usage will cause some slowdown.
    The tools I linked are regarded as some of the best available: there are a few marginally faster commercial encoders at serious price points but unless you really really want to do this often there is no point).

If you have a DVD in directories (video_ts and some players insist on audio_ts as well with .vob, .ifo and .bup files in the video_ts directory) then you can burn those straight to disc (make sure to keep those directories able to be seen from the root of the disc though)).

"burn 15 at 4x", I do not quite follow, for most purposes burn as fast as your media will allow and if it is bad do it again at a slower speed.

13. iza
    OP

United States
    sorry, i meant burn a dvd in 15 minutes...
    yea, my RAM is only like 128megs, i got another stick, but it wouldnt fit... my slots have two indentions in them, and the one i got only had one indention.... any clue as to what ram i should get to fit this?