dvd brand question...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by modshroom128, Mar 11, 2007.

Mar 11, 2007

dvd brand question... by modshroom128 at 1:06 PM (1,142 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. modshroom128
    OP

Member modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i purchased this from meritline:

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dv...-printable.html

to burn backups for my wii...
    but as a test, i tried burning 2 xbox isos at 4x speed.... and when i boot it up in my xbox a white screen pops up saying disk read error.

then i burned a movie and it worked...

but are these bad dvds that cant burn gaming isos? or could it be my xbox/the Iso file.

i will seriously will be pissed off if its the dvds, because i bought them just for my wii backups...

2. xeorix

Newcomer xeorix Member

Sweden
    It may be you dvd's that is the problem.

I had the same problem with cheap dvd's myself, then i went and bought TDK-dvd's for 2.5$ a piece (!) Ant they work without any problem.

3. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    With the price the DVDs will probably be really cheap. You maybe better looking on GBATemp to see what brands people recommend.

4. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    i have taiyo yudens, depending on the dye used depends on their quality, but taiyo yudens are known for being some of the best media, don't know about the value variety, but if they say value that must mean cheap

5. modshroom128
    OP

United States
    well the movies work... and i heard Taiyo Yuden was top knotch professional quality...

6. h3xx3r

Newcomer h3xx3r Member

United Kingdom
    I've used both Sony & Datawrite mach4 and both work fine I mainly write at 4X but have written at 8X with no problems.

7. modshroom128
    OP

United States
    could it be my dvd burner????

8. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

Anyone know how well Staples brand DVDs work? I believe the prerecorded information said they were fuji-film or something like that. They did work in my Xbox, but I couldn't copy back some files.
    Edit: "Manufacturer ID: FUJIFILM03". I also have a couple "Spin-X" brand DVD-Rs left.

9. tbkonwso

Newcomer tbkonwso Member

United States
    i burned about 30 xbox 360 games with with verbatim dl +r disk, and 20 or so wii games with the verbatim dvd+r disc everyone of them worked.

buy good media...they last a lot longer.

here is a link you can buy from buy.com and use the $10 off google check out to make it 25.99 shipped for 100.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...7662&adid=17662

10. Soybomb

Newcomer Soybomb Advanced Member

What works for us and our burners might not work for you. I'd suggest you use nero's cd-dvd speed program, go to the disc quality tab and do a scan at somewhere around 4x. If you google a little you'll find out to interpert the results. In general you'll be suspect if you see a high number of PI Failures and/or a quality score less than at least 70 something.

In general TY are usually excellent media, but maybe TY and your burner at the speed you're burning at just aren't getting along. If the disc has alot of errors it might work find in some devices but not all.