DV6000 ON FIRE

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Hellow, Jan 11, 2010.

Jan 11, 2010

DV6000 ON FIRE by Hellow at 5:27 AM (1,533 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Hellow
    OP

Member Hellow GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    soz to kinda lie to u in the heading, but my DV6000 HP laptop has been burning my legs lately like, the heat made by it burns to touch.
    the heat caused, makes my computer crash and turn off, usually when i use something that uses alot to run but sometimes just out of no-where itll just crash.
    ive thought about re applying thermal paste, but its the whole computer not just a small area. so i dont know if that would help at all.
    any thoughts on what to do.
    BTW
    this problem only started after my laptop got a virus that somehow made it past my anti-virus software, the virus deleted parts of the operating system rendering it un-usable, i sent it to some computer place to fix it, and they did but now it just fries itself all the time.

2. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    I had a similar problem some time ago. My laptop was "burning" too. I suggest you send it to company to fix it.

3. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    did you end up fixing the problem yourself, just ship it to get fixed, or just live with it?

4. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

perhaps you could open up your laptop and clean the fans... dust can do more damage than you'd think!

5. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    I opened the side of my computer (My old one) and shot all the dust out of my computer with a powerful vacuum (I wouldn't recommend it) and some metal things flew out.

Removing dust is good,but don't use something that powerful.

6. wyndcrosser

Member wyndcrosser GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Windows/linux laptops GET HOT!!!!!!!!! apple's new laptops are smaller and cooler. IF you put a damn hot making device on your lap, it gets hot you....

So confused why this is a topic.

Wynd

7. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    thanks for the help. NOT
    obviously the heat isnt a problem, i can fix that, by not putting it on my lap. what i cant fix is the fact that it crashes and didnt used to do that before i got the virus.
    and actually it crashed about 5 minutes ago im on my sisters laptop atm and ive got my laptop under a fan lol

8. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    oh and im abit scared to do that because i do have a habit of breaking things without intension

9. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    HP dv6000 and dv9000 have really poor build qualities. Its always something with these two laptops. If its not overheating its static building up and stopping your pc from booting or the solder connecting the monitor to the graphics card cracking.

I don't really know what to say to you... You just got unlucky with a really bad laptop.

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Does it have AMD or Intel processor? There is a manufacturing defect with the HP Pavillion dv6000z series (AMD processor) laptops.
    It will eventually cause your laptop's wireless card to break and possibly also the display. Call HP and have them repair it for free, there is an extended warranty program for this laptop.

11. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    yes it has intel centrino duo, and i have never heard of this extended warranty feature last time i rang hp for support with the virus my warranty had run out, and i had only had it for over a year.
    so what everyone is saying is a few years ago i bought a 1500 dollar, soon to destroy itself hunk of junk?

12. DeMoN

United States
  13. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    That is why they use compressed air.

anyway, dust may be the issue, but no one can argue that the HP has crap build quality, your pretty much out of luck here, send it over to HP if its still under warrenty, if not, make sure to buy a new laptop, a better one.

14. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    well me being in australia and owning and buying the laptop in australia change me being able to do this? and thanks

15. Hellow
    OP

Australia
    oh and im not experiencing any of those problems, its just the heat that triggers a safety mechanism to crash the computer as to save it from melting anything.

16. DeMoN

United States
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/au/en/contac...t.html#section1
    I think your best bet would be to call the first number that's listed.
    Make sure to explain that your laptop's problem involves overheating and that it qualifies for the extended warranty program. But be warned, they will probably try to talk you out of using the program, so be adamant.

17. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    I will be straightforwards with you: the way I solved my issues with the DV6000 series was exchanging laptops. I suffered with that shit for a year, going from issue to issue, starting with a DVD drive that broke on its third week of use, and ending with random black screens that came and went for no reason, coupled, of course, with the insane heat that made my fingertips burn whenever I was forced to use its awful trackpad - and the random freezes!

Please find a way to get rid of that piece of shit and stop buying HP. They used to be a good brand, but that was way back in the day. I have an LG laptop now and couldn't be happier.

18. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    I feel ya, I have a Dell XPS M1530 which are notorious for over-heating and shutting them-selves off. Had it for over a year, and even though I undervolted the CPU which is supposed to keep it cooler, it still gets to ~80C sometimes, and if it gets to around 82C, it shuts off.

Kinda gay.