Hacking Dusted off the 'ol PS3 and need some guidance.

markg87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my PS3 away in the closet about 5 or 6 years ago lol... The blue ray drive went out at the time so I just bought an XBOX and its sat there ever since. Ive been reading up on jailbreaking the system (to enable loading games from an external HDD) lately and cant really find an answer to my question. Ive noticed a lot of guides say to update to 3.55 then proceed with installing a CFW. The current system firmware is 2.0. Im not entirely sure how to go about getting the 3.55 OFW to install, could I just install the CFW over the 2.0 OFW? I do apologize if this question has been asked previously, I looked back through about the first 20 pages and tried to search with no results. Thanks in advance for any help.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I put my PS3 away in the closet about 5 or 6 years ago lol... The blue ray drive went out at the time so I just bought an XBOX and its sat there ever since. Ive been reading up on jailbreaking the system (to enable loading games from an external HDD) lately and cant really find an answer to my question. Ive noticed a lot of guides say to update to 3.55 then proceed with installing a CFW. The current system firmware is 2.0. Im not entirely sure how to go about getting the 3.55 OFW to install, could I just install the CFW over the 2.0 OFW? I do apologize if this question has been asked previously, I looked back through about the first 20 pages and tried to search with no results. Thanks in advance for any help.
You probably could. If I were you I'd just install 3.55 CFW first, then 4.46 CFW.

However, you said that Bluray drive went out no? I don't know if you can update that PS3 with broken Bluray drive (definitely not with OFW, not sure about CFW).

markg87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet,

Thank you for your reply. Could you explain why you cant update with a broken blue ray drive? You can do the updates with a USB storage device correct?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trumpet,

Thank you for your reply. Could you explain why you cant update with a broken blue ray drive? You can do the updates with a USB storage device correct?
OFW runs a series of diagnostic before updating firmware. If a component fails the diagnostic (like Bluray drive), it won't update.

I'm not sure if CFW has this diagnostic disabled.

markg87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should be more specific, it will take the disc it just wont read it. Not sure if that makes a difference, perhaps it would pass the test since it isn't completely "out". If that makes any sense.. lol

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well just try updating if you want its not like you can use your PS3(for disks)

i do remember that the ps3 will turn on without a blu-ray drive in it but and app or game you have on your xmb will boot to a black screen.
i know this because when i installed my e3 flasher i left out the bluray drive but i don't know if its the same as having a semi working bluray drive in the ps3.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should be more specific, it will take the disc it just wont read it. Not sure if that makes a difference, perhaps it would pass the test since it isn't completely "out". If that makes any sense.. lol
http://rebug.me/

Download 3.55 CFW here and put it on your USB flash drive. Only way to find out is to test it.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't alot of gams still require a disc (any disc) in the Blu-ray drive to load properly? I haven't had great success with disc-less loading on most of my PS3 backups, but idk if that improved with later updates to Multiman.

Anyway, if you do download any 3.55 OFW to install, just be careful and make sure it is legit. There are some fake ones floating around.

markg87

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, thanks again everyone. I went ahead and installed Rebug 4.46.1 straight over the OFW and had zero issues. I found that Iris Manager is the best as far as disc-less loading goes (at least in my experience so far) just have to adjust some of the settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol