Duplicate Underscore ROMs

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Cake4all, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Cake4all
    OP

Cake4all Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hello, I'm fairly new to using the EZ-Flash IV (I got it the day Kernel 2.0.2 was released). I have noticed that all of my ROM files have duplicated with underscores at the beginning of the filename, these are all 4KB.

For example I have 'Drill Dozer.gba' that is 8,192KB and a duplicate named '_Drill Dozer.gba' which is 4KB

When I look on my laptop I cannot see these duplicate files, is this normal and can I remove these duplicates in any way?

I am using Kernel 2.01 with a custom skin

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    do you still see theese files in this version?

3. Cake4all
    OP

Cake4all Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I believe so. On the SDCard I see folders called 'PATCH', '.Trashes', '.Spotlight-V100', 'SAVER' and 'GBA' (which I created) there is also a file called '_.Trashes' which is 4 KB

4. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i suggest you to try to format the card, copy back the stuff again, and flash the ez iv again...
    sometimes people get weird behavior after flash a firmware in the ez iv cards..
    if you can, flash the 1.76, and then the 2.02 again

anyway, since the 2.02 was just annouced this could be a case of a problem by the new shiny firmware which they will solve with a new version

5. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    BORTZ likes this.
  6. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    The reason you have these files is because you are using Mac OS. ".Trashes", ".Spotlight-V100", and all files named "._[filename]" are hidden on your computer because they are only used by the OS. You can ignore them, or delete them either from your flashcart or using the terminal (or a dedicated app).

7. Cake4all
    OP

Cake4all Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your help, I formatted this using Disc Utility on my Mac. If I re-format on Windows then insert the ROMs from my Mac will I still get the duplicates?

8. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    I think so, yes. You would need to delete these files using a terminal. Maybe there's also an option somewhere on MAC OS that prevents these metadata files from being created.

9. Cake4all
    OP

Cake4all Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2017
    United Kingdom
    SOLUTION:
    Ended up downloading BlueHarvest to remove all of the unwanted files/folders on the MicroSD card.

Thanks for everyone's help