Dungeon and Dragons! rawr!

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by BoneMonkey, Mar 6, 2008.

Mar 6, 2008
  1. BoneMonkey
    OP

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    ok i never played dungeons and dragons but after the news of the creator died i decided to check it out im reading the players hand book and it looks kinda cool

does anyone here play it ? is there a way i can play online with ppl ?

i also played the D&D game demo online and loved it ! is this how the game is played ?

http://www.wizards.com/playdnd/playdnd.asp

2. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The only thing i can think of is the one on winkawaks [​IMG]

3. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    the d&d creator guy died? sucks

bet that guy got laid a lot in his lifetime though [​IMG]

4. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
  5. neveras

Member neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Not sure what the demo is online, but more than likely it teaches the basics.
    I've been playing it and other rpg games like it for ages.
    As for online you have multiple choices, if you'd like the long drawn forum style you have places like:
    Role Play Online which has a good mix of games including DnD.
    DND Online Never been to this one, but it seems pretty popular.

Myself I tend to use SupTG to find and run games using
    mIRC or a Virtual Desktop like Fantasy Grounds. (Fantasy Grounds especially is fun for the ability to use maps, tokens, roll dice etc.) Since I know your a member of a particular other forum, take a look at /tg/ and if you wade through the trolls and 40k stuff there's usually some good DnD stuff.

6. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    what games do you play nevareas

7. neveras

Canada
    Tabletop wise, pretty much a bit of everything.
    Mostly hovering around Dungeons and Dragons, a touch of World of Darkness (Modern day supernatural stuff Vampires, Werewolves and Mages {oh my}), Shadowrun (Cyberpunk style game), Dark Heresy (Warhammer 40k), and a good metric ton of things. I pretty much play them all, it's my little drug, and coming from a huge gaming city (Montreal) there's lots of good stuff going on here.

Any questions about it, feel free to hit me up, i'm pretty friendly and quite enjoy introducing people to my hobby.

8. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, he had a wife and six kids.

9. Tenshigure

Newcomer Tenshigure Member

United States

Okay...what the hell was that...WotC is on crack for making something that ridiculous, lol.

I've played D&D for about 7 years, starting just before 3rd Ed came out. In some aspects...yes, I suppose that is how the game is played, but to be perfectly honest the dice and the character sheets are only guides, the rest is honestly all in you and the DMs head (at least how we played). That's not to say 'chuck the rules out the window,' but adjusting them according to your playstyles is exactly what you need to do to enjoy yourselves.

Now as far as playing online is concerned, your best bet would be to use the IRC channels out there to find a group. Also, there's a popular app out there called OpenRPG that allows you to virtualize this tabletop (but to be honest, you shouldn't need a table unless you have a real rules lawyer on your hand [​IMG]). Get it at http://www.openrpg.com/ and browse the forums there to find a group to play with.

Personally, I'd recommend holding until 4th Ed comes out in a few months, because WoTC is supposed to be introducing a new system called D&D Insider through Gleemax.com, which with a premium charge allows you to not only view PDF versions of the books you buy, but also can group up with people through the official site to play with. I honestly wouldn't put it past them if they have what are called "Living World" mods running through Insider so you can have a ready group at any time (note: if you've ever played Live-Action Role Play through World of Darkness from White Wolf, Living World is the same basic idea...worldwide D&D).

Above all else though, nothing beats the experience of playing the game in person. I recommend finding a comic book store in the area and find out when the local group plays. Most DMs that I know of are more than willing to bring in new players at any point.

10. neveras

Canada
    Wholeheartedly Agree, check out forums and the like as well for games that can be going on in your area, I don't have any on hand, but there are resources on hand. Check them out.

11. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    right now im on the rizon IRC server in the #neoanarchist room

they are going to have a game of shadowrun tonight at mightnight est so im going to observe and see how it is

:-)

12. neveras

Canada
    Shadowrun is good fun. Still one of my faves to play.

13. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States

Shadowrun is EPIC. It's a cross between the movie Johnny Mnemonic and Lord of the Rings. Shit man. You have elves hacking into laser turrets controlled by vampires. IT WILL BLOW YOUR FEEBLE FUCKING MIND!

14. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I know.

...that's why I said that guy got laid a lot in his lifetime [​IMG]