Dumping GBA VC Saves (am I doing this right?)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Rune, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Rune
    OP

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    I'm trying to dump the save from a couple of GBA VC games I created using the injector tool. Everytime I try to dump them using Decrypt9 or Hourglass9, it generates a blank 32kb save file with nothing inside.
    I can inject saves from my PC into the 3DS just fine. I'm just having a problem extracting them.

Now the method to dump the save is to first load up the game on the 3DS, then close the game straight away. Then fire up Decrypt9 and dump the save file.

Now I'm using a New3DS with Luma on 11.2.0. So I have to load the game, close it, reboot the 3DS, and then use the Decrypt9 payload. The first thing I assumed was that since I'm having to reboot the handheld, maybe that's what's breaking the save dump, and maybe I need to be able to load Decrypt9 right after closing the GBA game without the reboot inbetween (in other words, I need to use 9.2 firmware).
    But for some reason, I can do the reboot, and then inject a save file from my PC and it will transfer over just fine. Which doesnt make sense to me.

What am I doing wrong here?

2. Rune
    OP

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    UPDATE
    So I have 2nd Old3DS that has the same set up (Luma 11.2.0). I installed the same .cia of the GBA VC game and then tried dumping the save file. For some reason everything worked fine. The o3DS dumped the same 32kb .sav file but actually had data instead of 00 when opened in a hex editor. The save then worked on Windows with VBA-M.
    So going back to the New3DS, I thought maybe the micro SD card could possibly be corrupt. So I tried a 2nd SD card with all the files copied over, but the new card doesnt accept a working save dump either.

Which now leads me to think that maybe New3DS' can't dump GBA VC saves. Unless someone else here has any other suggestions?

3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just use JKSM, and be done with it...

4. Rune
    OP

Rune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2017
    JKSM was the very first thing I tried to use to backup the saves. I don't think it works for GBA VC games, I'm afraid. Only actual 3DS games.