Hacking Dumpin dooders! (WII)

NetixRiqua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yowza!
I just think that dumpin a wii game is pretty friggin easy... dont you just put the dvd into your dvd drive then dump it usin ultra iso (or dvd decrypt) and UHA it good n' post that you dmped it to gba temp... and upload it to *Somesitethatidonthaverightstotalkabout*.org ... or are teh DvDs triangle?

(oh i just wrote it becoz i wanna get it tsted)

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why PS3 has a weakness...it utilizes the ISO file system which allows it to be easily burned...the reason why Gamecube took so long to mod because of its unique files system. The only way to dump the game was directly from the GameCube connected to the computer only until recently I think. It may hold true for this too.

MaD_mAnIaC

In a mad world, only the mad are sane
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it's still not possible do dump gc games in a pc drive i think,so i doubt we'll be able to dump wii games this way any time soon....

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same with the Xbox. I was stupid and I thought I could dump an Xbox game by using Alcohol 120%. Turns out that I have to chip my xbox and then run the game dumping program. Same thing will happen with the Wii. Connect the console to PC. Run dumping program. Dump image onto PC.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
does the PC drive detect the inserted disk or does the drive don't even react to it ?

if the drive detect it (spin and light on), can Isobuster read physical data ?
isobuster don't use Windows driver to access the drive.

That's just an idea, but I think other people did already test it.

NetixRiqua

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
... damn.. i dont even use linux... and if it doesnt save me.. gimme a saw so i can cut off the rear part of the cd and maybe then i can make somethin.. but the other day i just copy pasted a PS2 game to my computer and rared and called it .iso then i opened it with daemon and made a normal image file out of it using ultra iso... and i gave it to my cousin on his birthday... dunno if it works.. didnt had time to test it
tongue.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
... damn.. i dont even use linux... and if it doesnt save me.. gimme a saw so i can cut off the rear part of the cd and maybe then i can make somethin.. but the other day i just copy pasted a PS2 game to my computer and rared and called it .iso then i opened it with daemon and made a normal image file out of it using ultra iso... and i gave it to my cousin on his birthday... dunno if it works.. didnt had time to test it
tongue.gif
What a crap birthday present!

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually... The file system on a disc has nothing to do with it's readability in a PC drive.
It's probably just a non-standard disc, physically unreadable by a normal drive. Just like the GameCube discs are backwards.

The 2nd half of your statement (except for the phsyical part) proves that the first part of your statement is false.

GC discs are infact just utilising a different file system, which is exactly why they can't be read using a normal pc drive (that, and I don't know if the standard firmware of dvd drives allows to read the data backwards, but thats still a software restriction, not a hardware restriction). If you could tell the drive to start at the outside and read inwards + understood the file system, pc drives would have no problems what so ever.

At a guess the Wii probably uses the exact same filesystem (or very similar) to the gamecube. Once its possible to boot homebrew and access the Wii's drive functions, we'll be able to dump discs just like with the GC.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, yes, I checked and see that I was indeed wrong about the backwards thing.
But it still must be some kind of hardware restriction, bits are bits and they would be copyable in raw mode if there wasn't some special hardware involved.

A file system can only stop you from doing something useful with the data, not from copying it.

Frz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
frz.cc
XP
Country
Gambia, The
*agrees* File System has nothing to do with the possibility to read or copy the disc in question
If the GC discs are really outside to inside (I thought this was just a myth) then exactly this is the only thing stopping us from copying them using normal PC drives. Wii discs surely are differnt from GC discs else we could copy them using the existing gc homebrewn software

Suranwrap

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What about dumping the Wii image with a gamecube? Im not sure if they use the same format, but if they do maybe it can read the disc and be dumped to an ISO, i will try it tonight.

I know that the game wont play in a gamecube, but maybe it can still read it.

Stokesy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...If the GC discs are really outside to inside (I thought this was just a myth) then exactly this is the only thing stopping us from copying them using normal PC drives...

I think that gamecube discs are actually read from the outside in. If you have ever run a gamecube game with the cover off, you will see when you initially play a game, it reads from the very outer edge of the disc.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah, yes, I checked and see that I was indeed wrong about the backwards thing.
But it still must be some kind of hardware restriction, bits are bits and they would be copyable in raw mode if there wasn't some special hardware involved.

A file system can only stop you from doing something useful with the data, not from copying it.

From the wiki article on the GC:

Contrary to popular belief, GameCube discs are not physically read any differently from a standard DVD disc, but are encrypted with a key derived from the Burst Cutting Area, a 'bar code' unreadable by most DVD drives.

I'm currently not aware of any dvd drive that allows me to just 'dump whatever you read' to a file directly unless it is aware of the disc to begin with (ie. if I put a damaged disc in the drive which the PC refuses to recognise, that is, reports no disc, then I'm unable to get the drive to dump it). When you put in a GC disc, it is unable to verify what type of disc it is (is it a CD/DVD/-R/+R/RW/etc...) then the drive fails and reports that no disc is inserted to the operating system.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What about spin direction of the disks? Disks usually spin clockwise, right? Would it be possible for Nintendo to have developed a drive that spins disks counter-clockwise, and therefore unreadable in a normal drive?

Even if data is read from the outside in (which has it's advantages when it comes to seek speeds), software could be written to read the bits on the disk and just reverse them in order to make a copy. But if the drive can't spin counter-clockwise, who knows how impossible that could be to read.

I would think that for compatibility purposes the Wii spins in the same direction of the GCN. Damn, Nintendo is good at preventing piracy (flashcarts aside)... Why don't the other guys do this sort of thing?

[just read above post... ok, so forget about what I said]

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm curious as to how the 'disc spinning backwards' myth propogated since it's very clear that it doesn't given this is simply proven by opening the drive while the disc is spinning.

travis134

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he meant that the disc is read backwards (From the outside of the disc to the inside)

Nintendo has it's own patented file-system, it encrypts it's games, the discs are XOR-Encoded with a constant cyphertext and is transparently decrypted by the disc controller when reading from the DVD.

They also have a barcode to authenticate discs. Pretty full-proof

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think he meant that the disc is read backwards (From the outside of the disc to the inside)

Nintendo has it's own patented file-system, it encrypts it's games, the discs are XOR-Encoded with a constant cyphertext and is transparently decrypted by the disc controller when reading from the DVD.

They also have a barcode to authenticate discs. Pretty full-proof

While I'm not saying it wouldn't hinder piracy, XOR encryption is barely an encryption (tthe key is stored in the barcode) and given the barcode is human readable (I'm not saying we can instantly read the key, but you can see the barcode easily) it definitely wasn't the biggest initial setback in regards to copying the games. If I remember correctly, the Xbox used a 2048 bit digital signature to sign its code, which is much more substantial than XOR. It's possible that due to Nintendo using RSA to encrpyt the secure area on DS games, they've also got similar measures in the Wii code.

"drive that spins disks counter-clockwise"

Thats the line I was referring to in particular.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night