Dumped GBA Wii U rom on 3DS issue.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by drojman, Feb 1, 2017.

1. drojman
    OP

drojman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2017
    Hi all,

I dumped a copy of Metroid Zero Mission from my Wii U, extracted the gba file and then converted it to CIA file. Installs OK, but when I try to run it I just get a white screen.

However I can get it to work if I patch it with info from a normal GBA rom with Floating IPS.

Just wondering what the reason for this is? The dumped Wii U version works fine in a GBA emu.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Why? Just why? Was it for mad science?

3. drojman
    OP

drojman Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2017
    Yep pretty much. I know there's no real reason to haha, just one of those things that peaked my curiosity.

4. Tapri

Tapri GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    The environments for which the game runs on Wii u isn't the same for the 3ds. The hardware differences and OS aren't going to allow a straight up cia built extra from a Wii u work on a 3ds without a proper porting.

5. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    But it's just a gba rom, and it runs on pc emulators. It should run as a vc inject too.

What you're saying would be correct if this were a wiiu game or something - but as it is a gba rom it's not meant to run on either system (wiiu or 3ds).

Last edited by x65943, Feb 1, 2017
    Quantumcat and SlimPortable like this.
  6. ShadowEO

ShadowEO GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 31, 2009
    United States
    Ohio, USA
    I think @Tapri thought that you meant you were installing a VC CIA for the Wii U onto the 3DS, not that you had pulled the GBA ROM out of a Wii U VC.

As for it not running in a VC inject, that's interesting. I don't know the answer myself, but it may be possible that the WiiU VC ROM has extra features patched into it similar to how the 3DS versions of the Gen 1 Pokemon Games have Wireless Communications patched into them and that it could be causing the ROM to fail on the 3DS since it is lacking said features. However that should also crash the emulator's playback as well unless modern emulators have support for said patches in them (I don't really know if they do or not). :/ I'm curious to this as well now.