Dump Spyro Skylanders Figurines

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something similar occurred to me with the Pokémon Rumble figurines: is it possible to dump the information from the NFC chip inside the figurines and then flash it onto a programmable NFC card?

If so, wouldn't it be possible to just flash whatever figurine you wanted onto the card without having to buy all the figures?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like twinretro says, they use rfid chips. Theoretically if you dumped the data to one of those with the right frequency it would work. Activision is super lawsuit happy though, so all the investigation into it was more or less shut down. You can still get the program that allows you to dump figure data though. You can change stats and stuff with it but not what figure it is since that's read only on the figure.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe that Skylanders use the same tech.

Nintendo uses NFC, while Skylanders, I believe uses RFID.

Like twinretro says, they use rfid chips. Theoretically if you dumped the data to one of those with the right frequency it would work. Activision is super lawsuit happy though, so all the investigation into it was more or less shut down. You can still get the program that allows you to dump figure data though. You can change stats and stuff with it but not what figure it is since that's read only on the figure.

NFC is a subset of RFID.

Either way, I'm interested to take a look into this.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
a few year ago Brandon Wilson did try something but Activision did not like that at all.
http://www.brandonw.net/
skylanders portal documentation
Thursday, October 27th, 2011 6:35PM

If you haven't heard of the game Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, do a little reading about it. It's a PC/console game that comes with a USB "Portal of Power" accessory that reads/writes to toys with RFID tags in them. When you place a toy on the portal, the character it represents magically appears in-game and you can play with it. The game also stores stats, upgrades, etc. to the character so you can take it with you wherever you go.

Why am I talking about it? Because I documented the protocol it uses, and the encryption method used to store data on the toys.

I plan to work on emulating the portal using an 84+/SE or 89Ti for all the major consoles. And for the Xbox 360, it's especially interesting because I'll have to work around the Infineon security chip that protects the Xbox 360 from third-party USB peripherals.

I could go into further detail, but then I'd sound more and more crazy, so perhaps I'll wait until I get basic portal emulation working. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: And here come the Activision lawyers! Suffice it to say, I've been shut down, so uh...nevermind. :)

allanj87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used ocarina to trick the Wii into thinking trigger happy was spyro on the original game did a few other characters too but then I got bored and moved on

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.