Hacking Dump flashcart rom

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to dump the rom/firmware of a flashcart? I specifically want roms for DSTwo+ and r4i Gold 3DS. I'm not asking about game roms, I'm asking about the flashcarts themselves, hoping to reverse engineer them and turn them into 3DS flashcarts.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A few people have headed down that path, dumping the apparent ROMs that is. Two main issues, the second by far being the bigger one
1) The flash cart may choose to present something different between a DS and a DSi/3ds, and also at different stages of booting (power on vs when the user selects a game/homebrew for instance).
2) Most DS flash carts do not run a ROM as much as a custom chip inside them (FPGA and CPLD classes rather than microcontroller), or something even more fancy. Said things being encrypted and protected nice and good as that is the same thing a would be clone company would need to access to make. This is what allows it to translate calls for the flash cart, save, cheats, text readers, SD card, handle anti piracy protection/checks for the dsi and 3ds stuff and so forth.

Why would you want to make them 3ds flash carts anyway? DS flash carts function somewhat differently to 3ds retail carts, I know that did not bother gateway so much but at the same time it seems custom firmwares have got to an acceptable level so it would be an awful lot of effort for no great gain.

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few people have headed down that path, dumping the apparent ROMs that is. Two main issues, the second by far being the bigger one
1) The flash cart may choose to present something different between a DS and a DSi/3ds, and also at different stages of booting (power on vs when the user selects a game/homebrew for instance).
2) Most DS flash carts do not run a ROM as much as a custom chip inside them (FPGA and CPLD classes rather than microcontroller), or something even more fancy. Said things being encrypted and protected nice and good as that is the same thing a would be clone company would need to access to make. This is what allows it to translate calls for the flash cart, save, cheats, text readers, SD card, handle anti piracy protection/checks for the dsi and 3ds stuff and so forth.

Why would you want to make them 3ds flash carts anyway? DS flash carts function somewhat differently to 3ds retail carts, I know that did not bother gateway so much but at the same time it seems custom firmwares have got to an acceptable level so it would be an awful lot of effort for no great gain.
From my experience, being able to load all the games from one organized menu is a gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Same
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    oh cool, I saw Space Invaders on that Nintendo Syl :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent
    +1
    What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on? :unsure:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's Amazon prime
    Cool. I got Prime
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    prime deez nuts
    okies :D put 'em here :O
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The mutated Axolotl was awesome
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bet you don't pirate game either
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They really wanna get the head
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    legit nobody irl knows I'm trans(it hasn't been long enough yet)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Be really careful out there. There are people who use trans people to their advantage, and its really sad in general. :(
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    also scary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Bunjolio, Online.