Tutorial  Updated

Dump and Backup Wii U Legit VC Games (For use with Haxchi)

If you want to backup your legit eshop VC games that is used with Haxchi, so that you can install it again sometime if you are banned from connecting to eshop, you can do it in 2 ways.

For this tutorial, I will be using Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! USA version

Prerequisites :

1. Python 2.7
2. FW.img file
3. Some Wii U homebrew apps : Homebrew Launcher, CFW Booter + FW.img, ftpiiu_anywhere, Wup Installer Y Mod
4. Some Wii U tools on PC : Wii U Ticket Info, Funkiiu, your favourite FTP application (I used FlashFXP)

Simple Way

1. Buy that game from eshop
  2. Prepare USB storage, and format it using your Wii U
  3. Copy that game to that USB storage
  4. Done

Hard Way

1. Buy the game from eshop
  2. Run Homebrew Launcher - use browserhax
  3. Use FIX94's tik2sd to download its legit ticket
  4. Run Wii U Ticket info and open tik2sd folder and find Brain Age
    DLCSg1L.jpg
  5. For Brain Age it is located at folder 004 and the ticket itself is 00000003.tik , and the size is 696 bytes exactly.
    V8pzQOe.jpg
  6. You can delete this game from your Wii U
  7. Run Funkiiu, find Brain Age and download it
    sAFRI2z.jpg
  8. Move the downloaded files into your install folder on your SDCard
  9. Run CFWbooter on Wiiu - I use Dimok's SysNAND Iosuhax
  10. Run Wup Installer Y Mod and Install the game on SysNAND
  11. After installing, run the game, make sure it runs correctly (because it is still running on CFW)
  12. Run tik2sd, dump its tickets one more time
  13. Compare the size of 00000003.tik file inside 004 folder, you will see the differences. The size is now 1,544 bytes
    Fdo6rqL.jpg
  14. To check, open the ticket with Wii U Ticket Info and you will find that for that single file there are two embedded tickets
    YWEt69K.jpg
  15. Run ftpiiu_anywhere, and explore to /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/0004/
  16. Replace the fake 00000003.tik (which is 1,544 bytes) with the legit 00000003.tik (which is 696bytes)
    H3Aiwl6.jpg
  17. Reboot your console
  18. You regain your legit Brain Age game

FAQ

Q : Can I directly replace the title.tik inside Brain Age folder file which is downloaded with Funkiiu with 00000003.tik (renamed to title.tik) and then install it directly with Wup Installer Y Mod?

A : You cannot. Wup installer Y Mod will gives you error because the legit 00000003.tik is only 696 bytes. Wup Installer can only install title.tik which is 848 bytes

Q : So, what is the purpose of this tutorial if you can do it in easy way ?

A : Well, I do it for fun, for experiment. Actually, with hard way, you could save the installation folder which is downloaded with Funkii U and legit 00000003.tik which is dumped with tik2sd to any folder in your PC and you dont need a dedicated USB media for storage.

Links to files

You can browse any homebrew apps at http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/

Funkiiu : https://github.com/llakssz/FunKiiU
Funkiiu GUI : https://github.com/dojafoja/FunKii-UI/releases/tag/v2.1.5
Wii U Ticket Info : http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/xDcfwW80/file.html

I am not responsible for any bricks

Original concept : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tik2sd-...ts-to-your-sd-card.451172/page-4#post-6894181

Thanks to @FIX94 @DaBlackDeath @cearp @dojafoja @dimok @Greggen@Yardape8000

Last edited by sthetix,

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, but if I copy it to my usb, will that mess with Haxchi? I mean, obviously when I install Haxchi I will unplug the USB. But after Haxchi is installed, if I plug my USB back in, which has New Super Mario Bros. in addition to all my other games on it, will the Wii U freak out because it has New Super Mario Bros. on the USB and Haxchi patched over New Super Mario Bros. on the NAND?

sthetix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Wait, but if I copy it to my usb, will that mess with Haxchi? I mean, obviously when I install Haxchi I will unplug the USB. But after Haxchi is installed, if I plug my USB back in, which has New Super Mario Bros. in addition to all my other games on it, will the Wii U freak out because it has New Super Mario Bros. on the USB and Haxchi patched over New Super Mario Bros. on the NAND?

Well, soon as you download that legit games from eshop, just copy to your usb storage. - just for backup purpose only.
for your case, i think you must have another usb storage.
one for your haxchi, and the other one for backup only.

Last edited by sthetix,

xstationbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Q : Can I directly replace the title.tik inside Brain Age folder file which is downloaded with Funkiiu with 00000003.tik (renamed to title.tik) and then install it directly with Wup Installer Y Mod?

A : You cannot. Wup installer Y Mod will gives you error because the legit 00000003.tik is only 696 bytes. Wup Installer can only install title.tik which is 848 bytes

And if i use HexEdit that "00000003.tik" and fill with "20 20 20 20 20" in place of "00" zeroes, until reach 848 bytes? it will works how like "dummie files" inside of .tik.
It is like fill the empty space with some words until have that 848 bytes.
What you think about this idea?

sthetix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
And if i use HexEdit that "00000003.tik" and fill with "20 20 20 20 20" in place of "00" zeroes, until reach 848 bytes? it will works how like "dummie files" inside of .tik.
It is like fill the empty space with some words until have that 848 bytes.
What you think about this idea?

i havent tried that. at least i wont try that.
FYI the original tik is 696 bytes. if you think you can edit that to 848bytes and you successfully install it, and works, report it here.

Reactions: xstationbr

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, soon as you download that legit games from eshop, just copy to your usb storage. - just for backup purpose only.
for your case, i think you must have another usb storage.
one for your haxchi, and the other one for backup only.
I tried putting the USB with New Super Mario Bros back in, and what happens is the Haxchi icon is replaced with the New Super Mario Bros icon, but the text when I hover over it still says Haxchi. Booting that icon up loads New Super Mario Bros with all my old saves intact. After removing the usb the Haxchi icon comes back, and boots to the Homebrew Channel, no problem.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

sthetix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I tried putting the USB with New Super Mario Bros back in, and what happens is the Haxchi icon is replaced with the New Super Mario Bros icon, but the text when I hover over it still says Haxchi. Booting that icon up loads New Super Mario Bros with all my old saves intact. After removing the usb the Haxchi icon comes back, and boots to the Homebrew Channel, no problem.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

i guess you have one game but installed on two location , one at sysnand and one at usb correct?
one haxchi and one legit game share the same ID or key.

i always store the original vc game on usb flash drive and i never put that usb on my console unless i need to reinstall.
i installed haxchi on sysnand

easyonme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@sthetix
HI sthetix,

I was wondering if you can clear out a doubt I have regarding your procedure to backup a legit VC DS game to be used for Haxchi. I'm interested in backing it up on the cloud for safe keeping specifically for the purpose of being able to reinstall it if tomorrow:

1)Nintendo takes it down from the eshop.
2)My NNID gets banned.
3)My WiiU gets banned (I'm not sure if they ban the hardware too).
4)I buy a second WiiU and want to duplicate my setup keeping this WiiU exclusively offline (meaning never logging in the NNID).

Now you say the procedure is useful if in the future you are banned from connecting to the eshop, but as I understand it, the backup can only be restored on the WiiU paired to the account that bought it. But if you are banned from eshop, aren't you also unable to sign into your account on the WiiU? In other words, if I do the backup, get banned, format my WiiU (or get a new one), will I be able to restore it?

I would imagine that the only reason why a working illegal 'legit' backup isn't out in the wild is because, as you explained, the tik that you extract is unique and tied to the purchasing account, so sharing a copy of it would require sharing the account credentials as well. Is that correct?

If so the question remains: if my account is banned (or Nintendo shuts down network access for the WiiU), can I restore this backup an a unit that was never linked to said account (or the same unit I purchased it on, but after going through a format)?

I hope what I am asking makes sense :-p

Cheers,

Last edited by easyonme,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now you say the procedure is useful if in the future you are banned from connecting to the eshop, but as I understand it, the backup can only be restored on the WiiU paired to the account that bought it. But if you are banned from eshop, aren't you also unable to sign into your account on the WiiU? In other words, if I do the backup, get banned, format my WiiU (or get a new one), will I be able to restore it?
The ticket is console-specific, but it is not user-specific. Back it up. You retrieve the install files from NUS now so you'll have those later too.

The real way that you should do the restore is the same way that eShop would do it. Run the install with no title.tik in the install directory. That install will use your existing ticket under /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps. The only reason you'd need to replace the ticket is when it gets deleted by visiting eShop from a new ID after the purchasing ID has been deleted from the console. If that happens, add the legit ticket's bytes to the ticket file under /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps. Don't replace that file unless you know that the only ticket in the file is the one for the app you're trying to install, and that it somehow got corrupted.

Kngihtstorm15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to backup your legit eshop VC games that is used with Haxchi, so that you can install it again sometime if you are banned from connecting to eshop, you can do it in 2 ways.

For this tutorial, I will be using Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! USA version

Prerequisites :

1. Python 2.7
2. FW.img file
3. Some Wii U homebrew apps : Homebrew Launcher, CFW Booter + FW.img, ftpiiu_anywhere, Wup Installer Y Mod
4. Some Wii U tools on PC : Wii U Ticket Info, Funkiiu, your favourite FTP application (I used FlashFXP)

Simple Way

1. Buy that game from eshop
  2. Prepare USB storage, and format it using your Wii U
  3. Copy that game to that USB storage
  4. Done

Hard Way

1. Buy the game from eshop
  2. Run Homebrew Launcher - use browserhax
  3. Use FIX94's tik2sd to download its legit ticket
  4. Run Wii U Ticket info and open tik2sd folder and find Brain Age
    DLCSg1L.jpg
  5. For Brain Age it is located at folder 004 and the ticket itself is 00000003.tik , and the size is 696 bytes exactly.
    V8pzQOe.jpg
  6. You can delete this game from your Wii U
  7. Run Funkiiu, find Brain Age and download it
    sAFRI2z.jpg
  8. Move the downloaded files into your install folder on your SDCard
  9. Run CFWbooter on Wiiu - I use Dimok's SysNAND Iosuhax
  10. Run Wup Installer Y Mod and Install the game on SysNAND
  11. After installing, run the game, make sure it runs correctly (because it is still running on CFW)
  12. Run tik2sd, dump its tickets one more time
  13. Compare the size of 00000003.tik file inside 004 folder, you will see the differences. The size is now 1,544 bytes
    Fdo6rqL.jpg
  14. To check, open the ticket with Wii U Ticket Info and you will find that for that single file there are two embedded tickets
    YWEt69K.jpg
  15. Run ftpiiu_anywhere, and explore to /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps/0004/
  16. Replace the fake 00000003.tik (which is 1,544 bytes) with the legit 00000003.tik (which is 696bytes)
    H3Aiwl6.jpg
  17. Reboot your console
  18. You regain your legit Brain Age game

FAQ

Q : So, what is the purpose of this tutorial if you can do it in easy way ?

A : Well, I do it for fun, for experiment. Actually, with hard way, you could save the installation folder which is downloaded with Funkii U and legit 00000003.tik which is dumped with tik2sd to any folder in your PC and you dont need a dedicated USB media for storage.

Links to files

You can browse any homebrew apps at http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/

Funkiiu : https://github.com/llakssz/FunKiiU
Funkiiu GUI : https://github.com/dojafoja/FunKii-UI/releases/tag/v2.1.5
Wii U Ticket Info : http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/xDcfwW80/file.html

I am not responsible for any bricks

Original concept : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tik2sd-...ts-to-your-sd-card.451172/page-4#post-6894181

Thanks to @FIX94 @DaBlackDeath @cearp @dojafoja @dimok @Greggen@Yardape8000

Hello sthetix, can make a video for this tutorial, it is more understandable than reading the text.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins