Dumb and Dumber To

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by VashTS, Oct 10, 2014.

1. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    was just talking about it with coworkers, I think its going to be great!

Anyone else hyped for this movie?! I got free tix from work too, so even better!

I think I figured out the ending...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

would be epic if this is it!

2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I've watched the original film countless times but this sequel is looking like it'll be a disappointment, though I'll still give it a try. On the trailers it's noticeable they're trying to feed off the jokes that were on the original film but recycling the same jokes just doesn't work well if they're misused.

3. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    i dont think jim carey and jeff daniels would take the roles if the scripts werent tight. the jokes are going to be redundant but thats the style of this movie, childish humor at best.

4. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    There's two problems with the trailer:

1) The phone scene they don't like 'dumb' more so like mentally challenged because they're right next to each other and hear themselves so there's no excuse to how dumb they'd be to not recognise the voices.

2) Lloyd stole Fraida from Harry and considering they might've had sex he could be the father of the child that was born, yet Fraida addresses Harry as the daddy. Incest? Only time will tell.

The film will be crazy stupid fun but that doesn't give them a free pass to the flaws that have already showed up.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    The previous 2 films used really childish/stupid humor, just like this trailer. Not really looking forward to this, though that's probably more because I've seen the previous 2 films hundreds of times before and the jokes got extremely old.

6. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    maybe its just me then, i guess I'm the only one who still loves this series.

the 2nd one was lame, except the bob saget scene.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I mean, when I first saw the movies they were pretty funny, it's just over the years I've seen them so many times that the appeal is just completely gone.

8. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    The odds it'll be good are about one out of a million.

9. VashTS
    OP

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY

SO YOU'RE SAYING THERES A CHANCE!!! YEAH!!!

10. WiiCube_2013

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Dumb and Dumberer is considered part of the 'Dumb and Dumb' Series? My god, that was absolute dogshit that no one should ever watch.

11. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I love the first one. I mean, I'm biased, since it's one of the video tapes I always had around the house growing up, but it's as quotable a film as they come, and a little too... relatable at times (Then again, my grandpa found it in a garbage bin, so maybe that's saying something).

But yeah, I don't have much hope for the sequel. Both of them look out of it at this point, and the trailer was pretty lame. Besides, how many sequels released 20 years after the fact have ever turned out good? The phone bit is inspired, though.

I never thought I'd see someone complaining that the protagonists of "Dumb & Dumber" are too dumb.

12. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    How many sequels have been released 20 years after the fact in general (particularly ones with the original cast)?

13. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

There's a list here of long-delayed sequels.

Going only by original castmembers/continuity (and stretching the time a bit), we get The Lost Boys: The Tribe, Land of the Dead, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Hobgoblins 2. Not exactly good company.

14. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I think it's only fair to add in Star Trek to the list. It may not have been a TV show originally, but the movies did follow the same continuity and with the same cast. Of the movies you listed, though, which of them were following good movies rather than the series being crap to start with?

Also, it doesn't look like Land Of The Dead has the same cast as the previous movie in that series.

15. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Well, we're just considering films. Even if we weren't, the gulf between the Star Trek series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture was ten years, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a meandering turd of a movie. The gap between Nemesis and Star Trek was only 7 years.

Hence the "continuity" tag. George Romero wrote and directed as he had for all the other films in the series, so I think it's worth the technical pass anyway.

16. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I don't know why the gap felt longer. Also, I like the movie. It stays true to what Star Trek stands for far more than the reboot.

Oh, I thought you meant they satisfied both the cast and continuity.