Dug up my old dreamcast, but need help

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Crusylicious, Sep 19, 2012.

Sep 19, 2012
  1. Crusylicious
    OP

Newcomer Crusylicious Member

United States
    My DCs manufacture date is April 2000. I got Dreamshell to work. I got Utopia 1.1 to work (I think), but I can't get anything else to work. It just tells me to insert a game disc. When Utopia loads it says to insert a CD and no matter what I insert, nothing happens. I burned the CDI files with disc juggler a few different ways, based on a few different tutorials and it just isn't working for me. Sadly now I'm out of discs and have no idea when I can get more, but in the mean time, is there some kind of common issue I might have that I haven't read about yet? Oh, and I'm in the US with a US console. Games I tried so far: Phantasy Star Online, Shenmue, and Gameshark cdx.

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    you say your burnt the files off with disc juggler and you are using the utopia boot disc? try booting the games without the uptopia boot disc, if the game have 2 tracks they are self booting

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    All Dreamcasts built before October 2000 (except for a few Japanese models) can play burnt games, regardless of whether or not you are using UTOPIA. Try booting just the games, if you fail at that, perhaps your Dreamcast needs a bit of cleaning.

4. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    try to find selfbooting scene iso's like Phantasy_Star_Online_v2_USA_DC-ECHELON or Shenmue_USA_DC-KALISTO
    also discjuggler is crazy old you can use imgburn nowadays.

5. Crimsonclaw111

Member Crimsonclaw111 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Even better, ignore old scene releases and check out ReviveDC's work instead since their rips are fantastic. And yea, imgburn with discjuggler plugins are the way to go imo, never had a bad burn that way.

6. Crusylicious
    OP

Newcomer Crusylicious Member

United States
    I tried with and without the utopia disk as the games I tried indeed have 2 or more tracks. When I get more disks I'll try imgburn.