Hacking Dual-USB HDD and USB Ethernet/Wii Speak problem SOLVED

Anon2098

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the Wii only has 2 USB ports which makes using Wii Speak or USB Ethernet a problem when using USB-powered HDD's which require 2 USB ports. You can connect an external PSU but that leaves the HDD running 24x7. Here is my solution, I give you GC5V!

You hack a USB female connector and a GC gameport plug together - Voila, 5 Volts!
yay.gif

It works really well! Simply connect the 5volts in the USB cable (usually red cable) to the GC 5V (usually yellow) and the USB gnd (usually black) to the GC gnd (usually green) - takes about 10 minutes.

]-[

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Awesome job!

You know what, I had exactly the same idea, however I didn't know how much power the GC ports could provide, nor do i have the patience or skill to put it into practice.

Another idea I had was, using the sensor bar port. I have a wireless sensor bar (they are cheap) so this port is free and looks pretty simple.
How much power does that provide?

Also, cheap gc extension cable could be used http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19116

ps: this adapter is awesome! http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21329

pps: not trying to advertise dx lol.

dodol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious what you guys using that needed 2 USB power ? I use WD120GB and it work with just 1 USB power.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Sonic4Ever said:
This thread contains epic win.

It really does, easy cheap and a suuuuuuuuuuuperb post being that it's the guys first post
biggrin.gif

dodolJust curious what you guys using that needed 2 USB power ? I use WD120GB and it work with just 1 USB power.

Some HDD's use 2 USB sockets.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
some HDD's CAN use 2 usb sockets, as some older usb sockets don't provide enough power. AFAIK with the wii that is never necessary..
and connecting other usb devices still crashes the usb loader.. so........
wink.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I did the same thing and it seemed to work fine (I plugged in a USB wiimote charge pack and the charging light went on).

However later i checked the wiimore battery and it hadn't improved charge as far as i could tell.

mellow.gif

well, either it's not supplying the right amount of power, or this charger won;t work with it for some reason... I don't know because I'm not really in the know how about these things, very amatuer.

micric100

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
but it's not just for hdd's that use 2 usb ports. The lan adapter doens't work even if you have a hard drive with one port. To make my lan adapter work, do I plug it into the gc port or do I plug the usb hdd into the gc port and the lan adapter in the back?

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
The GC port is only providing power, nothing more. Plugging anything into the GC port exclusively will just power the device and nothing else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.