Dual partition hdd for wbfs and gc games

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bwbsparky, May 3, 2014.

1. bwbsparky
    OP

bwbsparky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Enid, Oklahoma
    In my original setup I was using a 250GB hdd that I had scuttled from a laptop. I formatted it to wbfs, loaded my back-ups, everything played fine and the world was at peace. I wanted to reclaim the hdd and put it back into the donor laptop so yesterday I bought a 500GB Toshiba, successfully partitioned it with Win7 disk management, made a wbfs partition and transferred all my backups to it. I fired up the Wii this morning and USB Loader GX hung while trying to load the USB device. It's probably something simple but I'm still trying to figure out wtf happened.
    That brings me to the purpose of this post; I would like to use the other partition for GC back-ups. I don't need the full 500GB solely for Wii and my 32GB SD card is roomy enough for all my other emulation needs. I know the partition needs to be FAT32 format, I'm just trying to figure out if the wbfs partition needs to be first in line so either Wii Flow or USB Loader GX will see it properly or if there's something else I'm missing. I'm sure it's been done before, so if anyone out there has done this successfully and would be willing to share their secrets, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

Black Wii 4.3U, Wii Flow, USB Loader GX, Dios Mios

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I strongly suggest getting rid of the WBFS partition and switching fully to FAT32 . A FAT32 partition can store all your Wii and Gamecube games, all of your homebrew and multimedia, WBFS is outdated, obsolete and prone to fragmentation issues, cue complaints from all the people who haven't moved on and fight the losing battle in keeping WBFS alive.

RubenCantuVota likes this.
  3. bwbsparky
    OP

bwbsparky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Enid, Oklahoma
    Right on. So I'll be able to have 1 500GB partition and be able to drag-and-drop all my wbfs files and not have to muck about with propriety programs like WBFS Manager, etc.?

4. bwbsparky
    OP

bwbsparky Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Enid, Oklahoma
    Thanks, Foxi4, it's working like a champ!

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Exactly. Drag-and-drop works perfectly fine, but it's still advisible to use Wii Backup Manager in case the game needs splitting or converting.
    Welcome to the future. :P On a serious note, you're welcome, I hope everything will work fine. ;)