Dual booting XP and Vista - GParted

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Prime, Jul 17, 2008.

Jul 17, 2008
  1. Prime
    OP

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    With help from Salaman i'm going to install a cracked version of xp along side vista.

i'm going to follow this guide also: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_a...uide.htm?page=2

but it says i have to install Gparted (i don't have the vista dvd) but when i download gparted i get no .exe to run. WTF am i to do?

2. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

It runs in Linux.

What you want to do is download an ISO of Knoppix and boot that from your BIOS. It'll run Linux right from the DVD without touching your hard drive. There is a bundled program called "Qtparted" that will do the same job. If you want to be dangerous/use non-free software, you can also repartition using a Windows program like Partition Magic.

3. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have ubuntu on dvd can i use that instead of knoppix?

4. coolbho3000

Maybe, I don't have much experience with the Ubuntu LiveCD though. You'll have probably have to install the repartitioning program from within it.

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I've done this on a friend's laptop just yesterday.

Here's exactly what I've done.
    1) Under vista, I installed this app: Vista Boot Pro ( http://www.vistabootpro.org/ )
    2) I ran the app and made a backup of the "Vista BCD" , this is optional but if you fuck up your xp install it could be useful I guess
    3) I installed XP on the same partition as Vista, but in a different folder.
    IE:
    c:\windows => vista
    c:\xp => XP
    4) Once XP & drivers are all installed, I installed Vista Boot Pro again, under XP this time. I added a new boot item ("Windows Legacy") and in the boot settings I clicked "update boot sequence" or something.

Past this point, when I reboot the laptop I'm given two choices - XP or Vista. You also get to choose which OS you want to be booted by default.

I recommend following a "Vista Boot Pro" tutorial, this tool is a gem.

6. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    You don't really need to do that. Just install XP on one partition (use a boot disk, just search for BartPE at the bay, sort by seeders, download, burn, boot in PC and create partitions) then install Vista on the other. Vista's bootloader will preserve XP.

7. coolbho3000

In the same partition?

Sounds inefficient, but it might work.

8. elenar

Member elenar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's a problem when you install XP after Vista, so to make it simplest possible reinstall both, XP first then Vista. Using different partitions for both OS and also a 3rd partition for storage, for data safety.

If that's not feasible for some reason, you could install XP on a seperate partition and use Vista Boot Pro to change your boot settings and include your XP install, so that when you boot up you'll get the same set of options to select which OS you want to use (which is Vista's bootloader, incidentally) as if you had followed my first set of instructions.

9. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks costello, i'll follow your guide.

10. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

ah, that I didn't know. I followed a Vista boot pro and they only mentionned "Install XP over Vista".
    Didn't know what that meant, but I assumed I just shouldn't install XP in the same folder as Vista, lol

11. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, the tutorial I followed told me to download the live CD. That way it boots on startup and you can do everything from there.
    But everything seems to have been answered here anyway. Oh, and warning, you'll end up just going back to XP, I guarantee so.

12. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  13. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why don't you just use the utility in Vista to free up space for a partition?

Go to Computer Manager and use the Disk Manager there to resize the Vista drive.

14. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    vista already has a partition utility in disk management that you can instal XP on
    no need to rely on other programs

but the program is a little hard to work with
    it only allows a certain amount of room on its main partition with vista