Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I went and bought myself a new HDD (1TB, woo!
grog.gif
), and I plan to set up a dual boot on it.
Partitioning has been figured out, and I'm completing it as I type this post.

I plan to install:
Windows XP
Vista
Windows 7
Some flavor of Linux/Ubuntu

Now, I've read that XP should be installed first, before installing Vista.. But would this matter at all since I already have the HDD partitioned out?
Would I be okay if I install the OSes in any order? (I don't have an XP disc handy yet, so I have to wait on it before I can install that OS)

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What I did to mine was partition it with a Puppy Linux Live CD then I install the OS's one by one then configured GRUB. I don't think anything else really matters.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah order doesn't really matter, I'd install Xp first, then Vista, then Win7. That's so that one of newer Windows sOS don't screw it up. You can install Linux whenever you want, plug it in between Xp and Vista if you want.

Scathraax

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Golfman560 said:
Yeah order doesn't really matter, I'd install Xp first, then Vista, then Win7. That's so that one of newer Windows sOS don't screw it up. You can install Linux whenever you want, plug it in between Xp and Vista if you want.

Screw what up, exactly? The XP install, you mean?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ZML said:
Golfman560 said:

Screw what up, exactly? The XP install, you mean?
If you install XP last it would replace the bootloader used by Vista/Win 7 and you'd only be able to boot XP. This isn't hard to fix though, but to make it go as quick as possible you should install them with the oldest first.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So long as you don't overwrite the partitions for your windows installs it shouldn't matter which order if you install ubuntu (or another linux variant that uses GRUB) last

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?