Hacking Question Dual-boot - SXOS 11.0.0 + Atmos 0.20.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot have both latest firmware Atmosphere + SXOS on chipped Mariko.
Upgrading Mariko sysNAND to 12.0.2 and beyond will break SXOS working emuNAND for good.

My son's Switch is a Mariko w/ Sysnand 11.0.0 and the latest Atmosphere + SXOS work fine. The only limitations for Mariko switches are you can never update your sysnand beyond 11.0.1 and you can't use any of the dual boot setups that use the RCM payloads. Updating Atmosphere's emuMMC to the latest firmware version also works just fine.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did some tinkering here... Don´t know tour specifics but may help you
Haven't looked over whatever has been discussed but if that's some sort of guide please make sure to mention whether or not if it's for Mariko or Erista switches. What works for Erista does not necessarily work with Mariko switches especially RCM payloads.

Lutfi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My son's Switch is a Mariko w/ Sysnand 11.0.0 and the latest Atmosphere + SXOS work fine. The only limitations for Mariko switches are you can never update your sysnand beyond 11.0.1 and you can't use any of the dual boot setups that use the RCM payloads. Updating Atmosphere's emuMMC to the latest firmware version also works just fine.

Did you already updated your Mariko AMS Emunand to latest FW? Then is SXOS still run on emunand/sysnand afterwards?

I had Mariko FW 11.0.0 sysnand previously, and used to play AMS & SXOS on SYSNAND by swapping SD Card. Then I tried dual boot tutor from someone, with option AMS on SYSNAND & leave SXOS on Emunand. It works but with manual replace boot.dat, doesn't work with sxos boot.dat then payload->hekate->launch-> sysnand nor emunand (to open AMS). IT WORKS ONLY IF YOU REPLACE BOOT.DAT WITH AMS BOOT.DAT (only 10 kb size instead).

Then I tried to update my sysnand AMS to FW 13.0.0 by using Daybreak, wonder if I can have Bluetooth audio function and XCI benefit on the otherside. The result, only AMS running on both sysnand & Emunand. SXOS leave blank screen after use its boot.dat, I haven't tweaked with hekate.ini (will let you know I want to and I had done). Maybe somebody can try this too and find the solution for having those goddamn feature (Bluetooth & XCI, even you're not caveman you definitely want it)

Lutfi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
@raging_chaos Please let me know if you updated the AMS emunand to FW 13.0.0 with your AMS sysnand leave at FW 11.0.0.
This is the snapshoot of my research.

Attachments

• 2402d066-f67a-448e-a17b-e540bbec3a3b.png
    2402d066-f67a-448e-a17b-e540bbec3a3b.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 3ab2f063-ddc7-44f3-8afe-63ac76f4c315.png
    3ab2f063-ddc7-44f3-8afe-63ac76f4c315.png
    362.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 8c6cea68-d8d6-4b7f-bdf0-65a077fcec73.jpg
    8c6cea68-d8d6-4b7f-bdf0-65a077fcec73.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 91

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IT WORKS ONLY IF YOU REPLACE BOOT.DAT WITH AMS BOOT.DAT (only 10 kb size instead).

AMS does not have a 10kb boot.dat , that is SX's boot.dat from SX Gear. You need SX Gear's boot.dat to boot Hekate/Atmosphere. You need SX Core's boot.dat to boot into SX Core's OS. You cannot setup dual boot on Mariko systems at all with just one boot.dat and chain loading through Hekate. Every post you see where it's working is because it is an original RCM Erista v1 Switch. Mariko cannot load RCM payloads, you will never be able to dual boot the way you have been reading. Manual swap of the boot.dat file is the only way unless you write homebrew application to swap the dat and shutdown the system.

As for your second question FW 13.0.0 is working just fine on the Mariko Switch with SX Core and I can still manually boot into SX or Atmos.

Lutfi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I did downgrade firmware on SYSNAND from 13.0.0 to 11.0.0 but SXOS still couldn't run, both on sys nor emu.
Tried Stardust and hekate.ini still shows blank screen. But AMS run smoothly with notice on boot the device took longer (about 1 minute) to show first boot logo (blue led light blips until switched to green). I think it's time to forget SXOS on this device forever.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AMS does not have a 10kb boot.dat , that is SX's boot.dat from SX Gear. You need SX Gear's boot.dat to boot Hekate/Atmosphere. You need SX Core's boot.dat to boot into SX Core's OS. You cannot setup dual boot on Mariko systems at all with just one boot.dat and chain loading through Hekate. Every post you see where it's working is because it is an original RCM Erista v1 Switch. Mariko cannot load RCM payloads, you will never be able to dual boot the way you have been reading. Manual swap of the boot.dat file is the only way unless you write homebrew application to swap the dat and shutdown the system.

As for your second question FW 13.0.0 is working just fine on the Mariko Switch with SX Core and I can still manually boot into SX or Atmos.
There are custom boot.dat files. One that boots atmo. Supposed to work on mariko too..
I did downgrade firmware on SYSNAND from 13.0.0 to 11.0.0 but SXOS still couldn't run, both on sys nor emu.
Tried Stardust and hekate.ini still shows blank screen. But AMS run smoothly with notice on boot the device took longer (about 1 minute) to show first boot logo (blue led light blips until switched to green). I think it's time to forget SXOS on this device forever.
You can keep sxos for just usb loading even on mariko....you can have seperate emunands. Seperate cards or 2 on the same card.

Last edited by mikefor20,

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are custom boot.dat files. One that boots atmo. Supposed to work on mariko too..
If you're referring to the ones that require modification with python scripts and cracks SX's license, those do not work with SX Core/Lite chips.

If you're referring to the 12kb boot.dat that loads whatever payload is defined in boot.ini, that is from SX Gear.

Only Erista (including patched Erista w/ SX Core) can chainload the 28kb SXOS.bin file through Hekate in true dual boot fashion. Mariko cannot since the bin is meant for RCM injection.

Mariko can directly boot to Hekate with the 12kb boot.dat file, but you cannot then chainload into SXOS because that is an RCM payload and Mariko cannot inject RCM payloads. Hekate also cannot chainload the boot.dat that is used for SX Core. The only option for Mariko users are to manually swap the boot.dat file with homebrew and restarting the console or manually launching the Hekate payload through SX Core's payload option.

If there is some magic boot.dat that launches into Hekate and allows for true dual boot setups on Mariko + SX Chip the way RCM Erista then I'd like a link to it. As is only my Erista Switch can dual boot, the Mariko I mess with cannot and requires manual swapping of the boot.dat.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're referring to the ones that require modification with python scripts and cracks SX's license, those do not work with SX Core/Lite chips.

If you're referring to the 12kb boot.dat that loads whatever payload is defined in boot.ini, that is from SX Gear.

Only Erista (including patched Erista w/ SX Core) can chainload the 28kb SXOS.bin file through Hekate in true dual boot fashion. Mariko cannot since the bin is meant for RCM injection.

Mariko can directly boot to Hekate with the 12kb boot.dat file, but you cannot then chainload into SXOS because that is an RCM payload and Mariko cannot inject RCM payloads. Hekate also cannot chainload the boot.dat that is used for SX Core. The only option for Mariko users are to manually swap the boot.dat file with homebrew and restarting the console or manually launching the Hekate payload through SX Core's payload option.

If there is some magic boot.dat that launches into Hekate and allows for true dual boot setups on Mariko + SX Chip the way RCM Erista then I'd like a link to it. As is only my Erista Switch can dual boot, the Mariko I mess with cannot and requires manual swapping of the boot.dat.
Not the cracked version. Not sx gear. A custom boot.dat.

https://bfy.tw/Rt07

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posting that cheeky link in a reply isn't helpful, however here is a link to a thread that says the exact same thing I'm saying. Warmboot methods of dualbooting do not work on Mariko. A custom boot.dat doesn't do anything differently than the one from SX Gear other than having a payload injected into it vs booting one that's defined in boot.ini. A custom boot.dat also doesn't change the fact an SX Core Mariko can't reboot to payload nor inject one to dualboot into SXOS from Hekate. The only way to boot SXOS on an SX Core Mariko is to use the boot.dat meant for SX Core. No python script I've seen anywhere can modify the boot.dat used on SX Core (unless something has changed in the last few months), those all modify the boot.dat used by SX Gear and can only be used to boot into Hekate/Atmosphere on Mariko.

I have the original v1 unpatched RCM Injectable Erista, a chipped SX Core patched Erista, and an SX Core chipped Mariko, I pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here where as you only have an Erista. Out of the three the only one that can't chainload SXOS through Hekate is the Mariko because it cannot inject RCM payloads. If you have information to a project that does chainload into SX Core's boot.dat through Hekate and works specifically on SX Core Mariko for others to use then please post it, beyond that I'm not going to waste any time researching something I've already found a solution to using self written homebrew.

By the way all you are doing is trolling and your posts will just end up being deleted. It's clear you have no experience with Mariko and it's limitations when it comes to RCM payloads and reboot to payload injections. Writing a limited guide (with text that is obnoxiously large) that only works for Erista does not equate to knowing what you are doing with Mariko.

To clarify no one is asking how to boot into Hekate nor how to setup dual hidden nands in this thread. The last question was how to boot into SX on Mariko after setting up Atmos and from within Hekate's boot menu (which you cannot do on Mariko).

Last edited by raging_chaos,

cokacole69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever partition of the sd you want to use as a "dual boot" leave on sd. Move files to a temp direcrory and remove leftover partitions. Sx to boot hekate. Use backup tools and click sd raw emummc at bottom, back up all the raw gpp ad boot0 and boot1 from original emunand then restore them to that extra partion . Then recreate prexisting partitions using emummc create in perhaps another or Linux our Android wheratever sx. Good luck!

acho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So i was messing with this last night with my Mariko switch,
Ill try and make this as clear as i can.

from what i noticed reading though this and some other documents i found online , as well swapping to Atmosphere.
There is only one way to dual boot that i found witch will require alot of memory,
make a emunade in sxos (or have one) , leave untouched,
instead of swapping out the boot dat file for inorder to boot directly into hekate for atmosphere (included in Sx_Gear_v1.1).
leave the boot.dat alone. (sxos_3.1.0_beta Boot Dat)

Youll have to navigate though the menu to find payloads and then you can boot into hekate ,
make a system nand backup in Hekate even if you already made on in SXos and keep it on your pc

From there normally you would Migrate emuMMC from sxos,
instead youll have to make a new emunade of your internal system.
That should allow you to boot into Atmosphere via Launch

Now if you updated your sxos Emunand though ChoiDujourNX like i did (not the internal system)
and want to migrate your sxos emunand to atmosphere , youll have to do something to get it to work right
the system backup you did in Hekate grab the boot0/boot1 and replace the boot0/boot1 in your emunand
simply replace the files in your sxos/emunand/ folder (if you're using a file based emuNAND)

ChoiDuJourNX corrupts your boot0/boot1 and will prevent you from being able to boot into emuNAND on Atmosphere.
Hekate also has this function for EmuNAND. If you use that, please be sure you're NOT flashing SysNAND

from there you should be good to dual boot both systems, with additional steps.

Basically Sxos will behave normal and anytime you want to boot into Atmosphere,
youll need to Boot to the sxos Recovery menu , Navigate though the menu to payload ,
Boot up Hekate ,then that should allow you to boot the atmosphere emunand from the launch menu.

the Pkg1 decryption failed! error , i managed to fix this by going to hekate then tools ,

click the second touch option and dump Package 1/2.

If you get a failed to match warmboot with fuses - sleep mode wont work .
Thats because the emunad you made is not updated to the latest firmware
This is a system check to see if fuse match the up to date.
Youll have to use daybreak to Updated your emunand
https://github.com/CTCaer/hekate/issues/616

There might be a easier way to dual boot then the way i just described , but this worked for me and can revert back if i wanted to.
Haven't run into any problems atm and tinfoil/hombrew still works n all

my internal system firmware is still 10.2.0 , i have not updated it cause im sure if it would not boot sxos anymore even though it has a mod chip i dont think it would due to sxos boot.dat not being updated

one last thing that im trying to find out but im sure it would, i just want to find more proof ,

if i did update the system internal to 12.1.0 , it would still boot to Hekate , the sxgear package is a bypass to boot to another .bin file (Hekate)
I would like to achieve the same setup with my Mariko, 11.0 Emunand SX OS; 13.2 Atmosphere emuMMC(newly created not migrated) ; 11.0 Clean Sysnand. Right now I already have those set up, but I am changing the boot.dat to switch between the 2 Emunands so would really like to know how you are able to chainload to boot to AMS emuMMC with a SX OS boot.dat.

I have followed your steps up to the Launching to AMS CFW-EmuMMC but it gave this error
Pkg1 decryption failed!
BEK is missing!
Failed to launch HOS!

then I proceeded to tools>dump package1/2, got similar error

Found pkg1(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Pkg1 decryption failed!
is BEK missing?

so I'm stuck here but noticed there is this hekate_keys.ini thing that I can attempt.

[Prod]
mariko_bek =
mariko_kek =
package2_key_0a =
master_key_0a =

I understand I need my keys so I have dumped my keys and checked my prod.key. I could find the values for package2_key_0a and master_key_0a but not mariko_bek and mariko_kek. Are there other values in the prod.key that I can use for the bek and kek?

Would really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

acho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
ArgonNX has a mariko mod. Or use tesla with fastcfwswitch. I don't have a mariko to test but they say it's working.
I have looked into it but unfortunately after spending quite some time, it didn't work for me though I might be doing something wrong on my end. I might be giving another go in the future.
I tried your guide but it did not work either and most likely only works with Erista units.

Warmboot methods of dualbooting do not work on Mariko. A custom boot.dat doesn't do anything differently than the one from SX Gear other than having a payload injected into it vs booting one that's defined in boot.ini. A custom boot.dat also doesn't change the fact an SX Core Mariko can't reboot to payload nor inject one to dualboot into SXOS from Hekate. The only way to boot SXOS on an SX Core Mariko is to use the boot.dat meant for SX Core. No python script I've seen anywhere can modify the boot.dat used on SX Core (unless something has changed in the last few months), those all modify the boot.dat used by SX Gear and can only be used to boot into Hekate/Atmosphere on Mariko.

I have the original v1 unpatched RCM Injectable Erista, a chipped SX Core patched Erista, and an SX Core chipped Mariko, I pretty sure I know what I'm talking about here where as you only have an Erista. Out of the three the only one that can't chainload SXOS through Hekate is the Mariko because it cannot inject RCM payloads. If you have information to a project that does chainload into SX Core's boot.dat through Hekate and works specifically on SX Core Mariko for others to use then please post it, beyond that I'm not going to waste any time researching something I've already found a solution to using self written homebrew.
This seems to be the logical explanation as to why quite handful of guides floating around do not work with Mariko. @raging_chaos reached out to me and kindly shared his self written homebrew app. Upon testing, setup was very easy, almost idiot-proof even. I must say it works exactly how I want it to without any issues whatsoever.

Until another and better solution comes out (if ever), this for me is the best and the only working temporary solution for Mariko users currently looking to switch between SX OS emunand and Atmosphere emuMMC with very minimal hassle. This homebrew app will also save you the wear & tear impact on the card reader and the microsd itself resulting from frequent ejecting and inserting of your microsd. If you are interested, please reach out to @raging_chaos via PM, I am sure he will be more than happy to help.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Looks like the thread has reached a happy conclusion, users who have a similar issue know who to reach out to. Time to lock it up, before we have more arguments over what works and what doesn’t. If @raging_chaos wouod like to share his app (which apparently can be very helpful!), I encourage a public release in a separate thread (if you’re comfortable with sharing it with the community). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: