Dual band wifi 5GHZ can't connect to ftp.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help, I can't seem to use any FTP or device connection tools like filezilla on my 5GHZ wifi. It works fine when I switch to 2GHZ wifi but not on 5GHZ. I don't know how to fix it. Nothing works, Filezilla, or chromecast. Does anyone know how to fix this? Most things suspect is cause windows 10 but I dunno for sure. I just know is annoying to keep switching to 2GHZ every time I decide to use chromecast or Filezilla when I want to use 5GHZ for the better network performance. :unsure:

LineoftheDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno how it could be a Win10 issue..... I did recently have an SMB/Lanman issue but that was because windows patched it for security. I don't see how a band would click that off on the OS side unless if it was something stupid like Private/Public network w/ Windows defender (2ghz you marked private, 5ghz you marked public). Have you mucked around with your router settings? Preamble, Beamforming, Access Control, Firewall? do you have rules in place for host IPs?

what kinda router do you have?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried forwarding the ports? This usually isn't necessary for local networks, but I've had to do it with a few routers.
How do I do that, and is it required especially for home networks? :unsure:

I only ever used port forwarding for stuff like game console online play that requires it, I tried to get better nat type, since mines is always second best but I never figured out how to make it different so I just accepted it since it wasn't a huge deal.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Go to your router's firewall settings. It may have a standalone option for port forwarding/triggering. You'll add the local device's(') IP to it along with the port you're trying to connect to. This site will help you get to where you need to be.
https://portforward.com

To check if it's properly open, run the server you're trying to connect to (like FTPd on your 3DS), go to this site, and enter the port.
http://canyouseeme.org

Last edited by Joom,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to your router's firewall settings. It may have a standalone option for port forwarding/triggering. You'll add the local device's(') IP to it along with the port you're trying to connect to. This site will help you get to where you need to be.
https://portforward.com

To check if it's properly open, run the server you're trying to connect to (like FTPd on your 3DS), go to this site, and enter the port.
http://canyouseeme.org
I don't get why I would need to do this when other such things never suggested it. The wii u FTP or the TCP gecko, or anything else like it never mentioned anything about it.

It only mentions having the two devices connected to the same network wifi connection which it is (with the only exception is my pc on 5GHZ and the game console on 2.4GHZ):unsure:

I thought port forwarding was only for online gaming for people who use fire wall to block stuff from working and need to enable it to have access.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't get why I would need to do this when other such things never suggested it. The wii u FTP or the TCP gecko, or anything else like it never mentioned anything about it.

It only mentions having the two devices connected to the same network wifi connection which it is (with the only exception is my pc on 5GHZ and the game console on 2.4GHZ):unsure:

I thought port forwarding was only for online gaming for people who use fire wall to block stuff from working and need to enable it to have access.
Maybe the 2.4 and 5ghz wifi networks are set up as isolated from eachother in the router settings. I have no idea what the setting would be called on your particular router, but it should be fairly obvious once you see it.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

Like I said, it's usually not necessary, but some routers are dumb. I really don't think it'll help, though, but it's worth trying I guess.

Also, what's said above is possibly more likely. The network is probably split for whatever reason.

Last edited by Joom,

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I dunno how it could be a Win10 issue..... I did recently have an SMB/Lanman issue but that was because windows patched it for security. I don't see how a band would click that off on the OS side unless if it was something stupid like Private/Public network w/ Windows defender (2ghz you marked private, 5ghz you marked public). Have you mucked around with your router settings? Preamble, Beamforming, Access Control, Firewall? do you have rules in place for host IPs?

what kinda router do you have?
Hey, did you ever fix that SMB issue? I use Windows 10 and I've been struggling to get SD Management to work. Thanks.
EDIT: Fixed.

Last edited by SnakeOil992,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, it's usually not necessary, but some routers are dumb. I really don't think it'll help, though, but it's worth trying I guess.

Also, what's said above is possibly more likely. The network is probably split for whatever reason.
How do I know that? My 5GHZ android can connect to my 2.4GHZ 3DS and wii u with no problem. I'm just convinced is a pc thing. :unsure:

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey, did you ever fix that SMB issue? I use Windows 10 and I've been struggling to get SD Management to work. Thanks.
You're better off opting for FTP. The 3DS's SMB client is horribly dated. If you're worried about getting banned for whatever reason, set your DNS to 0.0.0.0. You'll still be able to connect to your local network, but DNSs won't resolve.

SnakeOil992

Walking bruh moment
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You're better off opting for FTP. The 3DS's SMB client is horribly dated. If you're worried about getting banned for whatever reason, set your DNS to 0.0.0.0. You'll still be able to connect to your local network, but DNSs won't resolve.
My OCD kicks in with everything relevant to my devices. I just want everything to work perfectly and I can't really explain it.

Reactions: Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
My OCD kicks in with everything relevant to my devices. I just want everything to work perfectly and I can't really explain it.
I fully understand.
How do I know that? My 5GHZ android can connect to my 2.4GHZ 3DS and wii u with no problem. I'm just convinced is a pc thing. :unsure:
Strange. Have you tried tethering your Android device via USB to see if it still happens?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise