nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After reading the review this morning, I'm glad I chose to get a DSX and not wait for an AceKard. The only nice thing, it seems, is the use of microSD cards, which I do hate that DSX doesn't support. But I'd rather have download play support, better support for ROMs, and excellent homebrew support.

AceKard still has to prove itself and still needs updating (as does DSX) so it'll be interesting to see what happens as more Slot 1 solutions become available.

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The review was pretty negative in general, with all its problems it's weird it still got 7.5, I would have it given it closer to 5/10. It sounds like a real pain in the ass to use.

Not that I really care about slot 1 cards since I want GBA support, plus the benefit of longer battery life I thought they'd have doesn't seem to be the case.

jamezco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i'm praying so hard that X9 wont turn out like the acekard ... if not i am like so going to get a SC lite or something

nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't really seen my battery life affected too much -- a little bit, but not much. I did turn the LEDs down on the DSX.

X9 has a nice compatibility list. It'll be a war between the X9 and the DSX it seems. AceKard, unless they do a major update, will fall off the radar in no time.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You're kidding right?
the X9 has the worst compatibility of all the slot-1 linkers (excluding the original ninjapass with builtin memory which had close to 0% compatibility)

- For the pirates whose only purpose is to have as many games as possible on the same unit, who do not care about homebrew (msn, mails, multimedia, doom, lucas art games, emulators...) and who want to spend the least money => I recommend the acekard.

In any other case, I recommend to either wait (for the microninja, not for the X9) or to get a DS-xtreme.

MajinGohan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the X9 will be good, I might even consider buying one as extra storage to my G6
tongue.gif

Helmut

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I would personnaly go for a DSX since it has a very good homebrew support and very good compatibility. And it can use download play in any situation.
It's the most promising slot-1 card IMO and it can be used under any OS. Too bad it's more expensive.

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Sorry, the DS-X can't use download play in any situation, although it has the best supported use of download play of the whole bunch. I recommend you check out the compatibility list out there for a real eye opener.

As Costello said, wait for the microninja, which I'm eagerly awaiting to hear more about, as well for a more comparitive all-round slot-1 solution. To people that want it all now, with bells, whistles (and lights!) you can't really go wrong with a DS-X.

If you already have a slot-2 solution, and want a cheap and dirty compliment for your pirating needs, I think the AceKard is a great option.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i'm praying so hard that X9 wont turn out like the acekard ... if not i am like so going to get a SC lite or something

I'm afraid I have to disappoint you on that one.
- X9 has the same shitty "I don't know what save-type I should use"-problem.
- The interface of X9 is the most horrible you've probably ever seen, it's DOS-like and just horrible, also after you selected your rom you have to select the save game which belongs to that rom too and all in a long list of all file types.
- Where the Acekard has as a good point the 100% compatibility, the X9 doesn't, popular games like Pokémon and Metroid won't work according to the wiki.
- Their support forum is terribly lame, their FAQ is a rip-off of the one from DS-X resulting in things like:
QUOTE said:
Q: Does Drag and Drop functionality work on a Mac and other Operating systems except Windows?
A: Of course Our device is fully mass storage spec compliant, and should work with any operating system which supports this standard (It uses MicroSD cards)
And also on that forum, they filter the names of other company's resulting in making posts about comparisons or questions if it supports save files from other carts a real pain in the ass, and it's just damn childish and hard to take such a company serious.
- Talking about the company... their from (a clone of) this card, aren't they?
ohmy.gif

QUOTE(jpxdude @ Nov 27 2006, 05:48 PM)Sorry, the DS-X can't use download play in any situation, although it has the best supported use of download play of the whole bunch. I recommend you check out the compatibility list out there for a real eye opener.

As Costello said, wait for the microninja, which I'm eagerly awaiting to hear more about, as well for a more comparitive all-round slot-1 solution. To people that want it all now, with bells, whistles (and lights!) you can't really go wrong with a DS-X.

If you already have a slot-2 solution, and want a cheap and dirty compliment for your pirating needs, I think the AceKard is a great option.
With in any situation they mean to unflashed ds's. But you're right that it doesn't support all games. On the other hand, NinjaDS didn't support it at all, and since MicroNinja is just a small variant of it, I don't think it will support download play either. *-)

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty happy with my SCLite and 1GB microSD. I'll look at Slot1 when the dust settles, like maybe about this time next year.

edit: I decided I should add to this post, because the above comment isn't really as on-point as I meant it to be. I know generally you wouldn't answer "neither" to someone's question of whether to buy this vs. this, but that's my answer. Right now, as of the end of November 2006, I wouldn't buy any new Slot 1 device. I might buy a good Slot2 kit in anticipation of using it in conjunction with a Slot1 product in the future, but I wouldn't buy Slot1. It's still too soon. Supercard, M3/G6, Ewin and EZ(?) have hinted at Slot1 products coming, but they haven't been officially announced yet. But the announcements will come, and given the position these companies currently hold in the market, I think its worth the wait to see what they come up with. Also, when Supercard and M3 do release a Slot1 card, the DS-X is going to see its first true competition in its market niche, and will need to respond, with either a price cut or increased capacity. Either way, consumer wins (unless consumer already spent his wad).
Some people are early adopters and have to have it now. I prefer buying the right thing once, and with these little toys we like, that usually means waiting for mature development.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I'm glad you got a DS-X too. An Acekard would be wasted on someone like you. (Since you don't want it to play DS games.
dry.gif
)

Please try and stick to FACTS when you post though...I think you'll find the DS-X doesn't have 100% download play, especially since it doesn't even have 100% DS Rom support!!! ("better support for Roms" ROFL)

It's still early days for the Acekard, and of course the software etc will be improved in time. The simple fact is that it does everything that it claims to do, which is more than can be said for any of the other slot 1's.

I'm still more than happy with my EZ4 lite
wub.gif
, but since Acekard acts like a passcard (and again works 100% with all carts G6, supercard, EZ4 etc) I will probably get one just for that feature!!! Also the fact that it plays ALL DS Roms will come in handy when coupled with a 2GB micro-sd card.

Anywayz enjoy.
grog.gif

TeraS

Trophies
XP
Country
i brought a Supercard Lite rumble rather than X9 as there were loads of bugs reported. currently im using homebrew and backup games on it and its fabulous.

currently im waiting for the slot 1 of supercard and m3 and then i will upgrade. slot 2 is good for now. m3 and supercard have been in the DS Scene for quite sometime now and they will have a good advantage than the other slot 1 cards avaliable.

My prediction is the the slot 1 from m3 and supercard will be released by mid-feb

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
The cards (Acekard, X9) have only just come out. Wait for some good software/firmware updates & things might look a bit more rosy in the future. Just sit tight & enjoy the ride.

Safari user FTW!
smile.gif

I have a macbook, but played with my bosses top of the range 15.4 MB Pro all yesterday...so powerful!

putamierda

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
- For the pirates whose only purpose is to have as many games as possible on the same unit, who do not care about homebrew (msn, mails, multimedia, doom, lucas art games, emulators...) and who want to spend the least money => I recommend the acekard.

That's me, I only care about the compatibility, I couldn't care less for homebrew or anything else, so acekard is really my choice.
If the software is unstable, I can deal with that (hopefully there will be an update) and if I have to waste time with the program and searching for the type of savegame, well, too bad, you can't have it all.
If the proprietary system can’t handle fragmentation, I don't care, with 2gb of room, I can spare some.

I can still remember using my x-changer with it's parallel port and it's software, it took forever to transfer some gbcolor roms.

xchanger_64mset.jpg

That's why it makes me laugh when people whine about loosing 3 seconds without drag & drop or stuff like that. (hell, if I can have it too, I won't complain) but as I've said before, for me a 100% compatibility guaranteed beats any other feature.

So that's why for my taste and needs, acekard is much better than any other solution out there (at the moment).

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
héhé, it's always the same, everytime a new flashkit comes out ppl complain, the just can't wait for fw upgrades or better support.

It's getting bored
tongue.gif

Ds comes out ppl complain
dslite coimes out ppl complain
neostuff comes out ppl complain
supercard supports nds, ppl complain
m3, came out, ppl complain
g6 comes out ppl complain
ds-xtreme comes out ppl complain
acekard comes out ppl complain
ninja x9 comes out ppl complain
Whatever flashkit i forgot, ppl complain
new flashkit comes out ppl complain even if it could have 100% nds and homebrew support and runs clean nds with drag and drop, ppl will always find something to complain
tongue.gif

For all those ppl that always complain go here! -> http://www.howtocomplain.com/ http://www.pakin.org/complaint/

I complain cause ppl complain!

http://www.pakin.org/complaint?firstname=C...aphs=3&gender=c

(Note for ppl, The complain on this link will never be the same
tongue.gif
so nobody read the same complain it complain about
biggrin.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr