OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DSVideo 1.0 released.
a wavelet compression based video player
nickludlam over at gbadev has given word of a public release of DSVideo. DSVideo is a player for a wavelet based compression format.

DSvideo.JPG

icon11.gif
DSVideo homepage

download.gif
GBAtemp download (7z format with .nds.gba version added)

icon11.gif
GBADev thread

The GBATemp download is merely the player and sample video. Command line encoders for linux, windows (.net 3.5 required) and mac (intel) as well as source code for the encoder and decoder are available from the homepage above.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I don't really get the whole video on a 3" screen thing, I have to admit this is damn impressive.

"An entire movie can be compressed into around 400MB."

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Going for my status as resident luddite I have only played with the sample video and it is quite nice (the combination of the camera and jpeg compression from paint did not do it much justice) as .net3.5 can stay well away from my system (I only begrudgingly accepted 2.0 after some really nice apps decided to use). I will take a look at the source if I have time and see if I can knock together something else to do the deed and try again.

The UI is feels a bit odd: it is fairly big at 3 folders/icons per screen and easy to read which compared to DSOrganize, moonshell, flash carts... but for some this is a nice thing I guess.

Compression rates for wavelet stuff in general are not bad and quality is nice too. It will probably not outdo the mpeg1 based DPG for size but for a video to watch on the bus you could do worse.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It says somewhere on the site that it only supports up to 12.5 fps. There was a divx player a while back that did up to 12 fps..so I''m not too impressed. DPG is still the best way to watch..quality may not be perfect but it's not like you should care when you're watching on a tiny screen anyway.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
FAST6191: The icons are probably large so that you can control the player with your fingers.

I must admit that the interface is much, much better than MoonShell. If the player will utilize some proper dithering, it might just become my player of choice. MoonShell, is in my opinion, a horrible mess. Well, I'll probably keep it on my card until I can find a decent stand-alone player like iPod Classic (my aunt bought one for herself and I fell in love with it completely) ...

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Well, I haven't actually have TRIED the DSVideo until now. Either CycloDS refuses to auto-patch it or something else is wrong. Anyways, it doesn't work.
frown.gif

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is this supposed to be better than DPG? Sure, Moonshell has a crap interface, but an entire movie can be compressed into DPG format with a filesize of anywhere from 200MB to 350MB, and with a much better framerate than 12.5fps.

iritegood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I haven't actually have TRIED the DSVideo until now. Either CycloDS refuses to auto-patch it or something else is wrong. Anyways, it doesn't work.
frown.gif

QUOTEDue to the libfat code running on the ARM7 instead of the ARM9, current DLDI patches for homebrew cards might not work. Please let us know in this happens with your card in this forum topic. We may be able to provide modifications to the patch in order to get it working.

We have already come across this issue with the R4, and you can download a pre-patched version from our downloads page. This has been patched to prevent autopatching, as later versions of the R4 firmware include the autopatch functionality by default. The R4 DLDI code modification and the prebuilt DLDI patch are also available in the source bundle.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is a nice concept, I think it would be best to stick with Moonshell until the coder updates this program quite a bit.

Salma

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok guys i have a question or two. All this is new to me. I've recently heard about the memory transflash card etc. for the NDS. Now if i only want to watch a movie or listen to songs from my DSLite, which card should i get a 1 gb or 2gb? I've seen the different sizes from memory suppliers online. ANYONE WANT TO ADVISE ME ON THIS?

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok guys i have a question or two. All this is new to me. I've recently heard about the memory transflash card etc. for the NDS. Now if i only want to watch a movie or listen to songs from my DSLite, which card should i get a 1 gb or 2gb? I've seen the different sizes from memory suppliers online. ANYONE WANT TO ADVISE ME ON THIS?
I depends on how much you want to hold at one time? This is not the correct place for this anyway, go spam up the flashcart discussion forum since it's the place for this sort of question.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
J

Jackreyes

Lol
Anyone know how big an Ipod Classic screen is?
I watch stuff on that all the time
Almost every morning on the school bus.

This app could be good, but not yet, needs more time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.