Homebrew DSTWO+ user to BS9 CFW performance questions

hazric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been using a DSTWO+ with my N3DS for the past 10 years or so and just softmodded my machine (latest firmware 11.14.0-46U) following the entire tutorial at 3dshacks for 11.14.0 on a non-XL N3DS

All installs kicked off without a hitch, but I'm noticing a whole lot of new issues with my existing GBA/SNES/GENESIS ROM's.

My DSTWO+ performance wasn't the best, but it played all of what I had.

With TwilightMenu++ and its emu's however, although the performance is better, I'm getting a lot of ROM's that aren't playing at all, some that play properly after crashing once, aspect ratio glitches, ROM's not detecting, fan-translations with text appearing out of order, Retroarch 1.9.1 (the newest one) not even starting, just a lot of inconsistent performance issues

I read up on some bugtrackers for Retroarch and it looks like Retroarch is only guaranteed to work flawlessly for firmware 11.9.0 and below?

So I'm just wondering how finicky the boot9strap mod really is. I've mostly only heard raves about N3DS softmodding now so wondering what's escaped my purview. Is 11.14.0-x firmware too current and should I be downgrading for best consistent performance across the board? Should I not be using TwilightMenu++?

Darkshadow1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Been using a DSTWO+ with my N3DS for the past 10 years or so and just softmodded my machine (latest firmware 11.14.0-46U) following the entire tutorial at 3dshacks for 11.14.0 on a non-XL N3DS

All installs kicked off without a hitch, but I'm noticing a whole lot of new issues with my existing GBA/SNES/GENESIS ROM's.

My DSTWO+ performance wasn't the best, but it played all of what I had.

With TwilightMenu++ and its emu's however, although the performance is better, I'm getting a lot of ROM's that aren't playing at all, some that play properly after crashing once, aspect ratio glitches, ROM's not detecting, fan-translations with text appearing out of order, Retroarch 1.9.1 (the newest one) not even starting, just a lot of inconsistent performance issues

I read up on some bugtrackers for Retroarch and it looks like Retroarch is only guaranteed to work flawlessly for firmware 11.9.0 and below?

So I'm just wondering how finicky the boot9strap mod really is. I've mostly only heard raves about N3DS softmodding now so wondering what's escaped my purview. Is 11.14.0-x firmware too current and should I be downgrading for best consistent performance across the board? Should I not be using TwilightMenu++?
I am not sure if Downgrading will improve your performance at all or not, the emulators while they will run the game, but the problem is not all games are working at the moment and I have no doubt they will be fixed in the future, I would recommend staying with DSTwo if they work well otherwise you can use injections as injections have a higher compatibility then any emulator but it will not have a lot of features.

Last edited by Darkshadow1997,
Reactions: hazric

hazric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... otherwise you can use injections as injections have a higher compatibility then any emulator but it will not have a lot of features.

This I've noticed yes, NSUI installs is the one thing that came out on top mostly as expected. Real cool

So I guess we're all still very much at the forefront of softmodding and work still needs to be done? Totally fine if it is, I'm impressed with the mods as they are, just wondering if the emulation performance of older consoles was due to versioning issues on my end and experienced by no one else

Darkshadow1997

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
This I've noticed yes, NSUI installs is the one thing that came out on top mostly as expected. Real cool

So I guess we're all still very much at the forefront of softmodding and work still needs to be done? Totally fine if it is, I'm impressed with the mods as they are, just wondering if the emulation performance of older consoles was due to versioning issues on my end and experienced by no one else
Everyone has their own issues, it more or less depends on the config of your device or injections and some cases your CFW as one example is if I use the latest Luma the NTR selector does not work but if I use the one complied with a cheat plugin loader then that works. It took me messing with a few options as well as try patchs to get RTC to work on some Pokemon fan games. My advice, try different combinations to see if your games work or not.

Last edited by Darkshadow1997,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Perhaps you could clarify where exactly you read that? The changes between 11.9.0 and 11.14 were mostly minor security patches and I would not expect major shifts in compatibility.

In any case, I understand that the 3DS port of Retroarch in particular is not particularly well-maintained.

D

Deleted User

I've been running Version 11.14.0-46U on my New 3DS XL USA since it came out and if your goal is to run Emulators for GBA, SNES and Genesis then, from experience, I wouldn't recommend either RetroArch nor TWiLightMenu++.

Run GBA from mGBA and all the others from their respective stand-alone Emulators.
Better yet, if you have MicroSD space to spare, use 3DSBank and dedicate a whole new 3DS Menu just for Console Injects, which work the best and have the best 3DS support, including Menu icons and Save States.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Run GBA from mGBA and all the others from their respective stand-alone Emulators.
Eh? I understood the general consensus was that GBA games ran much better as VC injects (or open_agb_firm, which is basically the same thing), or possibly from TWiLight Menu (via GBARunner2), unless you need the specific mGBA features.

D

Deleted User

Eh? I understood the general consensus was that GBA games ran much better as VC injects (or open_agb_firm, which is basically the same thing), or possibly from TWiLight Menu (via GBARunner2), unless you need the specific mGBA features.

I believe you're correct on both counts; I use mGBA so that my Pokemon saves can be interfaced with PKSM.
All my other GBA ROMs are Injects.

As much as I want to appreciate GBARunner2, the whole process of getting to my GBA ROMs is slower than what I want, especially since I run TWiLightMenu++ with 250+ NDS Titles.
Additionally, mGBA released an Update just a few days back, which should keep it abreast of other GBA Emulators.

Last edited by ,

hazric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to keep TWLM++ just for GBARunner2, installed the other emulators separately and I'm happy to say I'm never going back to that DSTWO+. Performance has never been better

Thanks to everyone for their input

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs