Hacking DSTwo Supercard: the safest choice?

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading many topics around the forums, I came to the conclusion that Supercard DSTwo might be the safest choice for the future, even if I buy a 3DS game that forces me to update my 3DS firmware.

I have a few doubts, though:

1º Does Supercard update its firmware fast after 3DS releases a new firmware? Also, how long did they take until they released the firmware to play on 3DS 4.5.0?

2º Is it the fastest cart updating its firmware?

3º What exactly IS Auto AP Bypass? I already read about it, but I haven't quite understand yet.

4º Does it use the same type of cheats and saves as R4i does?

I had already bought a R4i Gold, because back in the DS generation R4 was the leading choice, but I understand that now things have changed and DSTwo has surpassed R4i. Thanks in advance!

Wii15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. They update within a few hours
2. one of the fastest and it works on every supercard dstwo
3. it auto bypasses piracy on nds games (like the no exp ap from pokemon)
4. it uses the usrcheat.dat cheat file, so yes

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1 - Yes, often within 24 hours. I think the longest wait was three days (opposed to other carts where they usually update within a week, but sometimes a few weeks).

2 - If you mean in how long it takes the team to release updates, like I said within 24 hours often happens (happens with other carts as well at times). If you mean the actual update process, it only takes a minute, you stick a file on the MicroSD, let it run, and wait for the progress bar to complete like all the other current carts.

3 - Auto AP bypass allows newer games with new AP to run until the Supercard team can put out an EoS (software/kernel) update that fixes them, but it does this at the cost of disabling cheats and soft-reset for that game as long as it's running in clean/special/bypass/whatever mode.

4 - Pretty much every modern flash cart can use the usercheat.dat database file.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 - Yes, often within 24 hours. I think the longest wait was three days (opposed to other carts where they usually update within a week, but sometimes a few weeks).

2 - If you mean in how long it takes the team to release updates, like I said within 24 hours often happens (happens with other carts as well at times). If you mean the actual update process, it only takes a minute, you stick a file on the MicroSD, let it run, and wait for the progress bar to complete like all the other current carts.

3 - Auto AP bypass allows newer games with new AP to run until the Supercard team can put out an EoS (software/kernel) update that fixes them, but it does this at the cost of disabling cheats and soft-reset for that game as long as it's running in clean/special/bypass/whatever mode.

4 - Pretty much every modern flash cart can use the usercheat.dat database file.

I'm so ashamed that I didn't buy Supercard right away and instead bought R4i Gold, if it's that good! I can't believe they update their firmware so fast, it's awesome!

About the Auto AP bypass, it basically nullifies the AP of the said game until a new kernel version is out, but we can't use cheats on it?

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best thing about the dstwo is not the emulators, but how fast their updates release. I have both a dstwo and a r4i gold and I am still waiting for the r4i team to release their latest update for the lower revisions.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is there more than one cart version of DSTwo, like R4i Gold (which has .cn, .com, .eu, etc)? Because I was totally screwed when I ordered it without knowing there were multiple versions.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
And is there more than one cart version of DSTwo, like R4i Gold (which has .cn, .com, .eu, etc)? Because I was totally screwed when I ordered it without knowing there were multiple versions.

There is only one DSTwo. Probably because it is too expensive for there to be knock-offs.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ what does this even mean?

I mean that there are too many R4i Gold versions and revisions. I ended up buying the .eu version without knowing that there were other versions and that this one was took so much to update its kernel. But that's also my fault for not doing a deeper investigation.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I mean that there are too many R4i Gold versions and revisions. I ended up buying the .eu version without knowing that there were other versions and that this one was took so much to update its kernel. But that's also my fault for not doing a deeper investigation.

I see, so you wanted to know if the DSTWO had multiple versions, well no, there is only one DSTWO from one website.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

One more question: Will I need a DS/DS Lite/DSi to do that update thing, just like R4i Gold needed?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There's not multiple versions of the R4, it's that there's multiple clones. Each site is run by a different group of people, all trying to cash in on the word "R4".

These things are from China, and China doesn't give two shits about copyrights or trademarks.

One more question: Will I need a DS/DS Lite/DSi to do that update thing, just like R4i Gold needed?
You only need an old DS to update if you updates your DSi/3DS further than the cart supports.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/315784-flash-carts-and-dsi3ds-updates/

EyeZ

Trophies
XP

No, it can update itself.
However, it is safer to update on an older DS and therefore recommended.

As metroid maniac said, it is more preferable to update on a DS console as updating the other method (if done incorrectly) could brick your DSTWO.

Nerozone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it. I think I've got it all covered. Is there any topic talking about the cares we must have with our carts (more specifically, DSTwo) so that they don't brick?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
These things are from China, and China doesn't give two shits about copyrights or trademarks.
Actually they do care - they do take efforts to prosecute copyright violators. They closed down around 20 "Apple" stores in one year for that very reason.
Of course, this says nothing about the hundreds or thousands of other "Apple" stores left in the country. Or any of the other areas in which China famously mass produces ripoff products.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it