1. sieroi

OP sieroi GBAtemp Regular

Title, really.

This is the first time I've encountered anything like this in a commercial title- after running into some freezing issues about 50% of the time whenever the "Talk" option is selected in the final case of Trials and Tribulations on my 32GB microSDHC card, I tried running it from a 2GB card on a hunch- and it's working fine.

I've got my 32GB card formatted as FAT32/64k clusters, and the 2GB card formatted as plain old FAT/32k clusters, if that's relevant.

Just curious if there's anything in particular that might be causing this to happen- I've never had an issue like this with any other title so far, and even this game had absolutely zero issues until the final case, easily 10+ hours in.

2. jDSX

jDSX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    What is the class of the 32gb sd card? Read speeds vary from card to card and you could also have a fake one which is a possibility of the 32gb one. Also what is the brand?

3. sieroi

It's a Sandisk Class 4. The first thing I did when I set it up was verify its write speeds/capacity- they're both in line with expected values.

Worth mentioning that I've been able to reproduce this kind of issue with the "Another Super Mario 3D" Mario 64 DS romhack- it's only playable on a non-SDHC card, with the DSTwo.

The thing that's odd about the Phoenix Wright case is that the majority of the game plays perfectly fine- the issue only manifests itself in the very final part of the game.

4. jDSX

jDSX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You need a class 10 for playing games of off, there is a big difference in read and writes between class 4 and class 10 SDs I had the same exact problem with mine ( kingston class 4 16gb) my games would freeze randomly and lock my 3ds up. Get a class 10 mirco sd if you can. Also could be a fake SD too do not buy them online (I cannot stress this enough) I buy mine at a major retailer like best buy in stores.

Last edited by jDSX, Dec 17, 2015
  5. sieroi

But you really don't need a Class 10, though- I've played dozens of games through from start to end without a single problem. =\

I mean, it might well be a speed thing- but it seems strange that it's not been an issue even once elsewhere, even in significantly more intensive games.

6. As far as I remember, the only game that really had issues with SD card class speed was Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
    Even that got fixed later down the line though and I don't think it's really been an issue at all with more recent flashcards, like DSTwo or any of the R4 clones with Wood R4 (or AKAIO on AK2.)
    I remember when Team Cyclops fixed the freezing problem for that game on lower class microSDs and I was like wooo that's really cool!

Last edited Dec 17, 2015
  7. jDSX

jDSX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I am ruling out either fake sd or defective after re reading what you posted. Maybe something AP related since I am not sure about a PW game.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - freezing, frequent, Phoenix