[DSTWO] Is there a way to change the DS Startup Banner?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by ChrisTheEmpoleon, May 20, 2011.

1. ChrisTheEmpoleon
    OP

Newcomer ChrisTheEmpoleon Member

United States
    I'd like to edit my DSTWO's startup banner from Fish Tycoon to something else.

Is this possible, or is it hard-coded in the card itself?

--CT

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

it is very hard

3. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    it's in the firmware, so no

however the latest firmware has changed it to alex stormrider if you're on a DSi, or just "dstwo" if you're on a ds lite/phat

4. DSdonkey77

Member DSdonkey77 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I love that mine doesn't hide itself in my lite anymore!

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://gbatemp.net/t278137-ds-dsi-3ds-hacking-f-a-q

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    How do you change it from Fish Tycoon? Easy.
    1. Copy the newest firmware (v1.09) to your microSD.
    2. Boot your DStwo and flash the firmware.
    3. Reboot your DS on successful completion.

Congratulations, you changed it from Fish Tycoon to Alex Rider (or dstwo if you're on a DS lite)! And not only that, but you also made it compatible with the 3DS!

7. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Why did they have to make it keep the Fish Tycoon icon even on a DS/Lite?

8. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    It would be great if they released a tool that would let us bypass the protection with whatever game we wanted (that was not already blocked) that way you could choose your icon from any game!

(Yes i'm fully aware it won't happen for many reasons, but still would be awesome)

edit: typo

9. Terminator02

United States
    they didn't, it's "dstwo" now with a custom icon in firmware 1.09

10. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Releasing a tool to do that would be bad on a few fronts

1) You can only use a subset of icon anyways because of the way the exploit works. Generally those games that pre-date the DSi but there are also a few other requirements.
    2) Each icon used is in essence an 'exploit' that can be blocked in the future. There's no sense in releasing all your exploits at once so Nintendo can block them all at once.
    3) If ANY Nintendo product was used as the icon, then you can be sure their lawyers would be decending on every single retailer out there for copyright infringement. Right now only the games owner could make such a claim. If you threw a Zelda/Metroid/Pokemon game as the icon, you could easily get copyright injunctions on the flashcart and squash it into oblivion.

11. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The way these bootloaders work is they have enough of the ROM in there to boot and then they exploit the ROM ASAP once it has booted, by replacing files in the filesystem of the ROM with hacked versions to trigger an exploit. They cut out as much of the ROM as possible, leaving only what is necessary to get the DSi to boot it and then to run the exploit. When updates come, they check the addresses within the file systems that have been used for exploits to make sure they contain what they actually should, and that's when a new ROM exploit is needed. For a tool as you suggest, the company behind it would need an exploit for EVERY ROM in existence, which would take AGES to make, and may not even be possible in all ROMs. In addition, this would give Nintendo the opportunity to get the necessary addresses for every possible ROM exploit, meaning an update could (theoretically) block every one. (Note that this is unlikely, as storing an address for every single ROM would probably take quite a bit of storage space, and finding the necessary address for a particular game when it is loaded would dramatically increase the loading time for games with such a large list to search I believe)

12. jamesaa

Member jamesaa The Prince of Insufficient Light

United Kingdom
    Hence why i said for many reasons I knew it wouldn't happen. Was just to lazy to list them.

13. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Congratulations on completely missing my point.
    I was talking about the earlier firmwares.

14. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Oh Jesus Christ! Right here! This! Best piece of assistance ever! Now I know that in order to alter the DS2's header, it doesn't requre any skills at all because it's just 'very hard'.

On topic, if you were able to change it, you'd probably end up bricking your card or stopping it from working on your DSi.

15. Terminator02

United States
    well your wording didn't make it seem that way, no reason to be harsh about it

16. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Well, if you were able to change it, you'd know what you're doing and it wouldn't brick anything or stop anything working. As for your comment about the skills required: You need to be able to exploit a ROM, embed the exploit within the ROM's filesystem, strip out as much of the ROM as possible, work out how the bootloader on your card works (none of these are documented AFAIK), work out how to install a new bootloader (probably reverse engineering an "official" bootloader update for your card), hack the ROM into a form that will work as the bootloader, then code an installer for the bootloader. A lot of work just to change an icon [​IMG]