Dstwo corrupts files on memory card - 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Marcus McFry, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Marcus McFry
    OP

Marcus McFry Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2013
    United States
    So I've formatted my 32gb memory card many times & installed the fw & nds games onto the card no problem. launch the dstwo & loads and displays games fine (at first) try a game or two, play for a little bit exit by pressing home and power down. When I turn it on & go to the menu the files start becoming corrupted with weird renames and extensions with weird file sizes as well. On one occasion only having 1-3 games completely wiping out the others.

I have no idea what is going on. Is this a bug in the firmware or maybe I have received a defective dstwo which I hope isn't the case. Anyone else had this happen? there a stable lower firmware that I should install instead of the latest release. I don't care about many of the features I just want to be able to play without fear that it'll corrupt my files & I have to start fresh again.

2. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    My first guess would be a defective or knockoff memory card. But that's just a guess. Did you buy it in an actual physical store or some random online site?

3. Marcus McFry
    OP

Marcus McFry Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2013
    United States
    no, purchased online. Having a knockoff shouldn't matter much, unless that is defective. I have a knockoff memory card on an R4i gold and everything works fine, no corrupt files no problems with gameplay, which has me question if it's with the dstwo or the firmware bugs.

4. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    What markings are on the card, where did you get it? How exactly are you formatting it?

5. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    have you tryed other micro sd cards?

6. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    The problem with knockoffs is that that they are often manipulated in some way to appear larger.
    eg. a 32GB card that really is the same 4GB over and over again
    there are tools to check for such things

Nebuleon and Rydian like this.
  7. Marcus McFry
    OP

Marcus McFry Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2013
    United States
    I'll have to check with other cards & see if it gives me the same problems or not. I looked through those links you posted, how would I go about checking if the card has been manipulated into looking like a 32gb & which one is best for it? thx

8. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Nebuleon likes this.
  9. Nebuleon

Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I also highly recommend h2testw. See if your card is really something like 128 MB but faked to appear to operating systems as 32 GB.

I estimate the correct size to be 128 MB after reading your post, which states "1 to 3 ROMs stay, the others become corrupted".

For future reference, Supercard questions, even on a 3DS, are better asked in /NDS/Flashcarts/Supercard. ;)

Syphurith likes this.