Hacking dstwo cards can break 3ds?

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, i just bought a used 3ds xl console, the guy has assured me everything its perfect with it, and hes also offering with it a dstwo card.

I know the dstwo card can only run ds games, but is the console in any danger of bricking, or losing online compatibility by using a dstwo card? If so should i simply not use it at all, or is there anything that will garante the console to be 100% safe.

Thanks for the help!

weeandykidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Works completely fine, no issues. As a bonus DSTWO can play SNES and GBA, which you can't get on the eShop. You got really lucky imo!

Reactions: Margen67

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought 2 3ds xl for ridiculous 100€each, with all acessories and charger, both still in warranty, 1 has 1 year and half of warranty the other has 1 year, all because people are rushing for the new 3ds, that card was just a bonus, but i am buying the consoles mostly for monster hunter and pokemon online, so losing the online compatibility would make the console useless for me.

Just to be sure, does the dstwo card installs anything on the 3ds? Or how does it really work?

weeandykidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It emulates a real cart, AFAIK. It won't block online, the 3DS will just think you're playing "Alex Rider: Stormbreaker", an old NDS game.

lPolarisl

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
There is one slight problem with the DSTWO on 3DS, the DSTWO uses an own internal chip which it uses for some apps (like the SNES and GBA emulator), the DS knew when to power up that extra chip, but the 3DS just powers it up non-stop, which means you'll run out of 3DS battery faster when your DSTWO is in your 3DS (even if you're not using it).

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There is one slight problem with the DSTWO on 3DS, the DSTWO uses an own internal chip which it uses for some apps (like the SNES and GBA emulator), the DS knew when to power up that extra chip, but the 3DS just powers it up non-stop, which means you'll run out of 3DS battery faster when your DSTWO is in your 3DS (even if you're not using it).

Well but being that ds normal games werent that graphical demanding it must still hold fine between the 3-6h of batery no ?

Acnemanz

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to go online with my DSTWO (when the servers were still up). And they haven't blocked the DSTWO for ages on the 3DS.

I have the N3DS which is waiting for gateway support so (thanks to my DSTWO) it is currently a dedicated DS.

The DS games (IMO) look a bit crap in the XL. It might look much better in it original resolution.
Instructions here. And I believe the time to do that would be when booting into the DSTWO

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well thats interesting, never heard that before

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have also noticed a drastic drainage of my 2DS battery when a game cart is inserted and sleeping. Official carts drain me at about 12 hours, but my R4i 3DS Gold (RTS) cart drains me at only 8 hours, and no cart (or ejected partially) gets me almost 2 days of sleep time on a single charge.

I wonder why the Actel ProASIC 3 chips won't enter a proper sleep mode and stop drawing power when not engaged in-game.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to go online with my DSTWO (when the servers were still up). And they haven't blocked the DSTWO for ages on the 3DS.

I have the N3DS which is waiting for gateway support so (thanks to my DSTWO) it is currently a dedicated DS.

The DS games (IMO) look a bit crap in the XL. It might look much better in it original resolution.
Instructions here. And I believe the time to do that would be when booting into the DSTWO

Just tried the original resolution trick with my N3DS XL (held down Select while booting an old DS game). Gotta say, while I can certainly understand why a lot of people would like this, I personally found it to be a little annoying, hard to see. And with my DSTWO, playing GameYob with the DS-scaled screen meant that the emulator was displaying ROMs at original GameBoy resolution, since I didn't scale the image up in the settings. Dunno if you've seen how much actual screen space an original GameBoy game takes up on a N3DS, but it's tiny.

TL;DR: It's a cool feature if you're a stickler for original resolution (and there's nothing wrong with that :) ), but it didn't suit my taste. Still a neat trick, though.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
My dstwo was good while it worked. Then one day it just stopped being detected for no reason. I would say try a better made card...dstwo is poorly made IMO.

I'm selling my unusable dstwo if anyone's interested in the card internals or if they would know how to fix it.

Locke644

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldn't have any problems with the card. Used my DSTWO in my old 3ds for quite some time and never had a problem. Also has compatibility w/ the N3DS which is always a plus if you wanted to upgrade.

Yes, DSTWO can PHYSICALLY break the 3DS's cart slot.

Now this I've never heard of. I'm guessing from a faulty card?

mrGREEK360

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dstwo doesn't break anything, iv ejected my DS two upwards of 1000 times between my 3 3ds and it pops out fine and no sign of wear to the slot, it might be slightly bigger but it's not going to break anything. Do we have proof that anyone's slot broke from a dstwo and not just one guy because that's not a wide spread issue. I eject my Ds two about 2-3 times a day, and have yet to see a problem, including my new 3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol