DSTwo: can iPlayer stream movies via wi-fi?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by 3xkrazy, Jun 2, 2013.

1. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Hello,

I'm thinking about picking one up, but the ability for it to stream movies through a DLNA setup is a must. Modchipcentral retailer states that iplayer can "stream music and movies," but the offical description doesn't mention that.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks.

2. Porobu

Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Sep 12, 2009
    i dont know if it can stream them but DSs wifi is really slow, its only 802.11b and max is 1Mbit IIRC

3. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    Ah, that's a bummer. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if development advances following Gateway's release.

4. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    Why would you want this anyway? Even if such function for (3)DS flashcard existed,
    I doubt that they are stable at all.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Even the best Android apps and hardware can't stream things properly... LOL

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The problem with streaming on the DS is mostly the dswifi lib - it doesn't take full advantage of the DS's wireless chip as far as I know and you only really get to use about 2mbps (according to the library's creator, info on the library can be read here). This transfer is further gimped by the speed of the DS's cartridge slot and then gimped the third time by buffering into RAM.

For all intents and purposes, streaming can be achieved on the DS... at speeds of a couple frames per second, as shown by VNC software available on the system or Costello's own DSHobro. It's not really possible to stream things like movies efficiently, music would work, but video? Not so much. It'd have to be heavily compressed or you'd have to buffer the entire stream to the SD card and then play it from there, but this'd take a lot of time and naturally wouldn't be "live" which is the whole point of streaming.

Rydian likes this.
  7. 3xkrazy
    OP

3xkrazy GBAtemp Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    United States
    ^ Thanks for the detailed input.