Hacking DSTWO Battery Life is Great!

nathancnc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, first let me setup the current situation. I have a DSTWO with a 16 GB microSD card, all in a DSi XL that also has a 2GB SD card (if that is of any difference).

I am also a huge fan of the original Digimon series. Original meaning adventure 01 and 02..... everything after that does not interest me at all....

So in my small apartment it is pretty dark usually, which i don't mind so much. Anyway

So I have my DS on the lowest screen brightness (which is plenty bright in this room) and I have been watching Digimon episodes one after another from adventure 01. All of this is from Moonshell.

Each episode is about 20 mins long, and so far I am at episode 31. All off the battery. So that means from a full charge my DSi XL has been going for 31x20mins= 620mins....which is 10 and 1/3 hours

I'm impressed. And if you are wondering; yes I have been watching my DS for 10 hours straight.....so what?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Imperssive.
I have a Supercard Two as well it seems to have really trimmed the time off the DS Lite to be honest with you.

Also off-topic, the video player should be realsed for the Supercard Two soon, so you won't have to convert your movies to .DPG anymore!

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You realize that for DSi XL on lowest brightness with a legitimate cart have a battery life that is between 13-17 hours. So that fact that you are getting 10.5 hours means that SCDS2 took away at least 2.5 hours of joy juice. Also someone did a test and concluded that SCDS2 only shines in power conservation when it comes to video playback.

xXVisionZXx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fell asleep with my DSi xl (im currently using an R4i gold) and my battery didnt run out i fell asleep around 9:30PM~10 pmish woke up at 6:30 Am I wonder how long is my battery gonna last when i get my DSTWO...
ohmy.gif

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
Ok, first let me setup the current situation. I have a DSTWO with a 16 GB microSD card, all in a DSi XL that also has a 2GB SD card (if that is of any difference).

I am also a huge fan of the original Digimon series. Original meaning adventure 01 and 02..... everything after that does not interest me at all....

So in my small apartment it is pretty dark usually, which i don't mind so much. Anyway

So I have my DS on the lowest screen brightness (which is plenty bright in this room) and I have been watching Digimon episodes one after another from adventure 01. All of this is from Moonshell.

Each episode is about 20 mins long, and so far I am at episode 31. All off the battery. So that means from a full charge my DSi XL has been going for 31x20mins= 620mins....which is 10 and 1/3 hours

I'm impressed. And if you are wondering; yes I have been watching my DS for 10 hours straight.....so what?

the dsi xl is supposed to last 10-13 hours with the lowest screen brightness and wireless communications turned off.
any cart can play video (with moonshell) so you're really not using the gpu on the supercard.
basically, you're using as much energy as i would be if i was watching digimon on my dsi xl with my acekard.
so it's not really fair to judge it by that. try playing a GBA game and measuring that, or even better; an SNES game.

also keep in mind that the dsi xl has the longest lasting battery out of all the dses, and not everyone has a dsi xl.

10 hours is still impressive though. makes me love my dsi xl that much more
biggrin.gif

StarWolf3000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm using the DSTWO on my old DS Phat, in mid 2009 I had to replace the battery for the first time since I bought my DS in 2005.
Playing games or running homebrew with the DSTWO allows me to run it for ~2 hours, with my AK2i it is about 3 hours (both situations without sound).

The battery consumption of the DSTWO is really heavy, because I can play games from original cartridges for at least 8 or more hours (depends on sound and cpu/gpu calculations).

Running the DSTWO in standby (over night for example) needs the power supply to be plugged the whole time, as it charges the battery the whole time, even when in standby. The battery itself needs about 3 hours to charge from empty to full.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
nathancnc said:

the dsi xl is supposed to last 10-13 hours with the lowest screen brightness and wireless communications turned off.
any cart can play video (with moonshell) so you're really not using the gpu on the supercard.
basically, you're using as much energy as i would be if i was watching digimon on my dsi xl with my acekard.
so it's not really fair to judge it by that. try playing a GBA game and measuring that, or even better; an SNES game.

also keep in mind that the dsi xl has the longest lasting battery out of all the dses, and not everyone has a dsi xl.

10 hours is still impressive though. makes me love my dsi xl that much more
biggrin.gif
A brand new DS Lite lasts longer

nathancnc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
A brand new DS Lite lasts longer

No it does not, I just got a brand new one, and it crapped out after a little more than 6 hours with a DSTWO

EDIT:

QUOTE(trumpet-205 @ Oct 28 2010, 06:11 PM) Correct. Battery life goes like this

DS Lite > DSi XL > DSi > DS Phat (with backlight on)

You are wrong too.

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
DSTWO is the most battery power consume in the DS flashcart realm. Power management is the worst while near end of DS era. Supercard team should consider this problem before release this card. I hope next card from supercard will fix this major problem.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
trumpet-205 said:
Correct. Battery life goes like this

DS Lite > DSi XL > DSi > DS Phat (with backlight on)

You are wrong too.
May I ask what brightness you on? And no, I'm correct because according to Nintendo every brightness level for DS Lite is more power efficient than DSi XL (excluding highest brightness on XL, cause DS Lite only has 4). Think about it, Wi-Fi, camera, bigger screens, all contribute to higher power drain, even if you are not using it. Keep in mind that the presence of slot 2 in DS Lite also contribute to power drain, whether you are using it or not.

Lastly, just because you get a brand new DS Lite doesn't mean it is brand new. It could be sitting on shelves for several months. You should buy a fresh battery from Nintendo and test it. Because battery life depends on both recharge cycle and shelve life.

I know this from both fact and experience. I have both Lite and XL using SCDS2 and I can tell you with Lite I can squeeze one more hour of gameplay.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Here we go again - more posts about how good/bad certain flashcards are on battery life

I did a series of tests in this post & thanks to other contributers found that the DSTwo is not that much more power hungry than a Ak2i (on a DSi)
Your test is only on highest brightness. Most people uses second or third brightness, which by then SCDS2 power drain significantly catches up.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
trumpet-205 said:
Think about it, Wi-Fi, camera, bigger screens, all contribute to higher power drain, even if you are not using it.

no.
Actually yes, because its circuit is completed. Completed circuit will consume small amount of electrical energy. Same concept from leaving something in wall outlet even though it is turned off.

Man I got stop before this gets off topic.
wacko.gif

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
tomrev said:
DSTWO is the most battery power consume in the DS flashcart realm. Power management is the worst while near end of DS era. Supercard team should consider this problem before release this card. I hope next card from supercard will fix this major problem.
grow up dude, this card has better functions which uses the cpu anyway so quit whining and get used to it

tomrev

Trophies
Website
www.buycheapipodshop.com
XP
Country
United States
Dter ic said:
tomrev said:
grow up dude, this card has better functions which uses the cpu anyway so quit whining and get used to it
WTF you mean Supercard fan-boy?

The fact is SCDSTWO has many good features but it is the most power consumption card. I feel product has potential to improve power consumption issue by better hardware design.

Kaero

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tomrev said:
Dter ic said:
tomrev said:

The fact is SCDSTWO has many good features but it is the most power consumption card. I feel product has potential to improve power consumption issue by better designing.
Better designing? Supercard-fan boy?
Dude.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
tomrev said:
Dter ic said:
tomrev said:

The fact is SCDSTWO has many good features but it is the most power consumption card. I feel product has potential to improve power consumption issue by better hardware design.
i never said i was a fan-boy
mellow.gif
:/
but tbh is that what was advertised? no so calm down and stop over-reacting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Mj you are the father