Hacking DSTWO and Ebook reading , Whats the best way, Read plz

blackacidevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hiya,

So Ive figured that pretty much PDF its just not working, well if you have 5 minutes per page and are fine with 300 baud modem back in the day to display chars, then PDF on DS is for you.. However.

Ive tried all sorts of PDF files, even went so far as to get Nitro, Simple PDF suite, and played around with decreasing the file size. However, I like to read generally ebooks, like reference, dummies books. Now these are all 3.5 mb which is decent, as some are 28 megs. So the PDF is just too slow.

- Removed / Decreased Resolution of graphics

- Chopped the PDF files into 6 parts, (Example, 1 to 50 pages, 51 to 100 ) to make the file size smaller. And this did not make a noticeable difference.

- Ive used all reading software, ands, dslibris, anything thats out there ive really spent my fair share of time trying

I also read somewhere that ComicDS or image view could work good, I did this by converting each page of the PDF to a decent small size .png/jpg, and went to see if I could get that going faster, however, after all this, its just got me bummed out.

Ive tried going PDF to text and sometimes it gets really messed up and Im thinking, why cant the DS just load up a pdf file. All you get over the internet is all these flashcarts companies, saying PDF support. Then you realize, its still in the works.

So Im happy to hear how maybe someone else is doing this, where you (the reader) dont get lagged by waiting for another page or area to load.

And I have a Nintendo DSi XL (so reading an ebook, would be good, as good or better than Kindle's amazon ebook reading, as it would be bigger 4inch sceens x 2 compared to 6" - 7 total.

Thanks

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PDF is a vector format, it takes a lot more power to display than a raster format, and it was never originally meant to be a mobile format. While modern devices are coming out with enough power to view them, the DS multiple years old and quite weak.

You will want to convert them to a raster format (like a standard PNG/JPG image like you've been doing).

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
blackacidevil said:
I also read somewhere that ComicDS or image view could work good, I did this by converting each page of the PDF to a decent small size .png/jpg, and went to see if I could get that going faster, however, after all this, its just got me bummed out.

What exactly 'bummed' you out? I've been doing that method since the ages of time for PDF files and it's been perfectly fine for me.
Make sure to play with the settings, such as Width and Height to get a good resolution before converting.

EDIT:
For what I use.
I start with AP PDF To Image. To make all the PDF pages to images.
My settings are PNG as image type and 100x100 DPI.

Then it's PictoDS, go to NDS Settings and currently my resolution there is at 1260x1707. This is not a default setting for me and I adjust that all the time depending on the PDF I'm going to convert.
But it's usually around that resolution.

blackacidevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On a side note, who in the hell decided to give PDF reader some wierd name was called dnrs- something reader or andr-res

Anyways, how in the hell did he get a 5 star rating for that app?

That thing loads an ebook page by page takes about as long as vic-20

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
blackacidevil said:
On a side note, who in the hell decided to give PDF reader some wierd name was called dnrs- something reader or andr-res

Anyways, how in the hell did he get a 5 star rating for that app?

That thing loads an ebook page by page takes about as long as vic-20
Because he got it to work...and nobody else really gave it a shot.

blackacidevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok Im confused again.

and im savvy user, you said

AP PDF to IMAGE

though the program works with VERYPDF 2.1 and thats a different company.

AP PDF to IMAGE (by adult) does not come with an exe file that does the batch conversions. So im curious how you used it.

my files come out to 1k, so its apparent that the pictods does not use AP PDF to image.

could you write what you do , because im pretty frustrated its been a few hours im on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)