Hacking DSTT works on one DS but not the other...?

Dobbin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there,

Firstly, what a great site! Keep up the good work!

I got my dstt yesterday and 2gb card. All was going well and i was able to copy files ok via the card reader.

However, when i went to use the dstt after all items i wanted were copied, I popped it in my DS but all I got was the initial Loading screen.
I tried again and the same thing happens. There is a slight flicker then the loading image remains static on my screen.

I wiped the memory card and recopied the setup files and roms, but the same problem occurs.

However, when I inserted the dstt into another DS, it booted up perfectly first time and was able to browse my files!!!
blink.gif

BOTH DS's play 'normal' games just fine. I have never had any problem with either machine. So can anyone tell me what I may be able to do to fix this? As it works on the other DS i suspect the dstt isn't at fault???

Many thanks

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It sounds like the DSTT may not be seated properly in the slot on the machine that does not work properly. If it works in DS1, no real reason for it not working in DS2 - other than contact problems.

Dobbin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your reply.

So do you think this may be a (bit of paper wedged behind the card) type of resolution?
Or do you think this may be covered by my one year guarantee?

Thanks

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are apparently some DSTT carts that have contact problems (most don't, but some apparently do). I would ask whatever company you bought your DSTT from if you can exchange it for a new one.

-Bri

Dobbin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies so far.
I was thinking from what i've read that it may be contacts - it's just thrown me that it works fine on the other DS.

Comparing the cart to a normal game - the plastic runners inbetween the contacts on the TT are raised slightly higher and a little thicker.
Does anyone know if the R4 carts are more similar to the original games in this way?

Also, even though it's not a 'game' - do you think shops would have to honour my guarantee for a faulty machine - as if i take both in, I could demonstrate that one DS will play my mp3s on the cart, but the other one won't?

Thanks

twit21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In general, retailers don't honor manufacturer warranties. That would be up to the manufacturer, who in this case wouldn't be very happy with you.
biggrin.gif

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The way you describe what's happening, it must be the contacts inside the second machine. The card is the common component here - and you know that it works.
If legit games work on the 2nd machine - I don't think the DS seller will give you a refund. If the paper trick works, that will prove that there is a tolerance difference between the contacts inside the DS.

Just to be sure, try V1.06 firmware or the DSTT alternate firmware kicking around called Yusa YSMENU (or similar name).

After that...

Dobbin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys..
I'm guessing that the words "I'm screwed" would follow your last two words there ndsdave!!!

The other thing that bugs me is that my volume button 'popped in' on first use (minimal force used) and the earphones are crackly when I go to use it. I might have to play that card with them to get a replacement.

I did try the paper trick but to no avail. I inserted this on the 'label' side of the cart. I also tried a very slight bend on the card - but wasn't clear which way to bend so i don't think it would have had an impact at all.

Thanks for the v1.06 firmware suggestion -- do i need to remove my other files from the memory card first or should i just be able to remove the 2 files and folder and replace with v1.06 files?

ndsdave

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For what it's worth, replace the folder and 2 files. I haven't tried mixing and matching them so I can't honestly say. It's a bizzare problem you have, because one would expect that if it worked on DS1, it should work on DS2. Did you get that paper down as deep as you could into the slot? You really want to bring the contacts together so that they meet correctly.
Have the slot 1 contacts on the non working DS taken a beating? I've seen kids shove all sorts of crap into the slot 1 opening when there was no card inserted. Have a lok at the contacts with a torch - just to be sure.
I know you are probably disappointed in the DSTT - but they really are a good card. The genuine cards probably have tighter specs to ensure a certain amount of positive pressure on contact.

Dobbin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will do that tonight (change files), and also stick the paper down further! I'm loathe to do too much as it works on the other half's DS fine! We're both good with our machines and look after them - no rough pulling/prodding/dropping/etc!

We're happy to keep it as it's worked well so far on hers so it does seem like a good choice value for money wise too.

I want to try another card eg R4, but don't want to end up with another bit of plastic i can't use!
ohmy.gif
)

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
In another thread here, someone suggested bending the DSTT ever so slightly. You should read that other thread for the description of what they did, but they got their DSTT to work properly.

But given that you're not having any problems with one of the NDS's it might be the NDS and not the DSTT that's the problem. It definitely sounds like a contact problem though, and given that others have had problems with the contacts of the DSTT, I'm guessing the problem is with the DSTT but that one of your NDS's is more "sensitive" to the problem than the other.

For the record, I don't have any problems whatsoever with my DSTT in my NDS Lite.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: How's it going my loves