Canada
so i've been having a dilemma choosing between the
Acekard 2 and the DSTT....
im gonna order it from dx and they're pretty much around the same price
so anyone got any suggestions ?
thanks
biggrin.gif

if so, which card would be best suited for:
Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396
?? thanks for your timee
biggrin.gif

Nakura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zephyrr said:
so i've been having a dilemma choosing between the
Acekard 2 and the DSTT....
im gonna order it from dx and they're pretty much around the same price
so anyone got any suggestions ?
thanks
biggrin.gif

if so, which card would be best suited for:
Kingston MicroSD TransFlash 2GB Memory Card (JAPAN)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396
?? thanks for your timee
biggrin.gif

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10401

You could just get that.

I have a DSTT and it runs great, but people will probably say AceKard 2.

Moots

The Incredible Sulk
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey TC you are canadian. Then screw DX

Go with leetmod.com

They are canadian, offer free shipping on most cards and theres no tax for canadian residents and the shipping is 3-5 days usually.

I picked up a AK2 with a 1 gig king jap sd for 40.99

or you could go for this deal at 49.99 no shipping fee and no tax

http://www.leetmod.com/dstt-kingston-2gb-v...694e4814d68b366

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have both a DSTT and an AK2. The DSTT is a bit cheaper at the moment, is perhaps a tiny bit faster loading the menu and roms, and is a little bit sturdier than the AK2 (mostly because it's glued shut instead of using clips). However, the DSTT doesn't sort roms in its menu (very annoying) and its menu system is slow during scrolling. The DSTT doesn't display folders which is both good and bad -- good because it's extremely simple to use since it shows all the roms on the microSD in a single list, but bad because the roms can't be sorted into folders. A small number of DSTT's have been known to have hardware problems with the contacts, so if you buy one check with the seller and see if they'll test it for you before sending it and also make sure you can exchange it if there's a problem. The AK2 has a much better menu system and its menu is extremely fast and responsive, but I've seen more incompatibilities and crashing with games and homebrew with the AK2 (these will almost certainly be fixed with firmware updates, but for now its firmware is a little less stable than the DSTT). If you have a slot2 GBA expansion cart such as the eWin 2in1 or the EZ 3in1, the AK2 menu can load GBA games and the Opera browser without the use of a loader program such as GBA ExpLoader (the DSTT menu will require a loader program to be run first).

Both carts have homebrew menu systems that you can run instead of the official menu. The DSTT has Yasu's menu system (YSMenu) which can load GBA games and the browser without a loader, sorts the roms, and displays folders among other things, but it's not particularly pretty and doesn't use the touchscreen for many of its operations. The AK2 has Bliss' menu system which has the same great look and feel of the official menu but adds plenty of extra features and makes excellent use of the touchscreen.

In all, I prefer the AK2 because of its menu system, but the DSTT is a great cart and is extremely easy to use. Both carts do what they're designed to do. Both carts will work fine with the microSD card mentioned in the OP (that's the one I use).

-Bri

zephyrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow! thanks for the very much DETAILED reply!
appreciate it ; )

yeah, i think im pretty convinced to purchase the AK2
but i guess they both of its ups and downs
so ill wait a bit more and see
biggrin.gif

another question:

which one has a higher crash rate?

=\ i dun wanna be playing my game then the game crashes
or losing files D:

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I disagree. My AK2 crashes during games more than the DSTT (not very often, but more than the DSTT). DSOrganise also freezes up during loading on my AK2 sometimes (others have no problems with DSOrganise, but have problems with other programs that I don't have problems with). I have never lost a file with the AK2 though (it has never crashed during a save or anything). Also, like I said, I imagine that many of these problems can and will be solved via firmware updates.

I don't think my DSTT ever crashed during a game and doesn't freeze when loading DSOrganise using the exact same microSD card.

Now if you're talking about hardware failure rates, indeed a small number of DSTT's have had hardware issues involving the contacts. Which is why it's helpful if the seller is willing to test out your cart before they send, and its imperative to make sure that you can exchange it if there is a problem.

-Bri

zephyrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hahaa okay...
so considering dx's price on DSTT and AK2
which one would you prefer ??
sorry for the massive amount of questions im asking D:
thanks for all your replies though
smile.gif

edit: ahhh im going crazy
i cant make up my mind! D: !

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No need to repeat yourself.
I'd say the AK2 it has a great menu and it has a good looking future with the AKRPG open source that attracted good programmers. The AKRPG's cfw's can be adjusted to work with the AK2. Other than the menu the only other advantage is the ability to have multiple save slots which is really useful with games that only have 1 save slot.

Mrbob2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought a dstt from a friend, bought a spare from amazon (uk) and 3 for my friends. I have never used a different card and if i had to buy another i would try a different card simply out of curiosity. The best thing about the dstt is that it simply works. I have over 800 games and everyone works perfectly. You can have both menu systems on your card so you can switch between dstt and ysmenu easily. The dstt is simple, cheap and it works! what more could you want?

Wiz_Dom

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Iceland
at the price they are selling, get both!

but to answer your question, AK2 is my choice and Bliss' is truely a plus.

and if you're looking to get as many stuff as possible for a low price, the DSTT also comes with a plastic holder
and some places (not DX, they are out of stock) sell it bundled with a rumble pack while the AK2 comes only with a crappy MicroSD adapter

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The rumble pack that sometimes comes bundled with the DSTT is the eWin rumble pack, which you can buy separately. You can sometimes find the eWin GBA expansion pack bundled with the DSTT as well. It's often cheaper to buy the GBA expansion and rumble separately though.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over