DSTT menu lags now?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by zant, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008

DSTT menu lags now? by zant at 2:07 AM (2,263 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. zant
    OP

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just updated to 1.15, and I noticed the menu now lags. Is there a fix?

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Didn't you just reformat your microSD in FAT32? That is more likely the cause of the lagging than the new kernel (FAT32 is slower than FAT16). You can try using the Panasonic formatter -- some have reported speedups in both FAT32 and FAT16 (although I imagine FAT16 is still faster).

Luckily, you can click in the slider bar and it will jump to that location in the game list, so you can avoid doing as much scrolling.

-Bri

3. Kazumastars

Newcomer Kazumastars Advanced Member

United States
    The DSTT menu usually lags when you have loads of games on the card. I have 2 DSTT's, both with the 1.15 kernel and are relatively slow due to the amount of games I have on my 4GB MicroSD. And I'd like to help back up Bri on that note.

I've tested several microSD cards with different formats. The fastest I've found was the A-Data 4gb Class-6 with a FAT16 format. The 1GB and 2GB I tested ran faster also on the FAT16.

Always use FAT16 format.

4. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Wait. The DSTT menu isn't supposed to lag?

Mine does on a sandisk card....

5. Kazumastars

Newcomer Kazumastars Advanced Member

United States
    The DSTT menu didn't lag on my 4GB card until it was about 2gb full. Then it started slowing down.

6. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    do you have all your games in 1 folder ? having too many in 1 folder is said to cause lag.

personally using kingston 2gb formatted to FAT16 and only having 10-20 games per folder, the menu is as smooth as can be.

7. X D D X

Member X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    The menu has been lagging since it first came out. It doesn't lag if you have less files on your cards. Mine started lagging after about 500MB on a 2GB Kingston.

8. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda

well using the same mem card, as i said above, i get no lag at all... fat 16, 10 games per folder, memory card virtually full to the brim with only about 40 mb free

9. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    My understanding is that it doesn't matter whether all the games are in one "games" folder or are in several sub-folders of the "games" folder (as long as none are on the root of the card). The lagging is generally caused by a combination of FAT32 and a large number of games in the menu. While other carts organize ROMs into folders and scan the current folder before showing the game list for that folder, the DSTT always shows all ROMs that are on the microSD card in a single list, and when that list is too big it lags during scrolling.

Unfortunately, if you're already using FAT16 there's not much you can do to speed things up other than delete some of your games, although some have reported speed-ups using the Panasonic formatter to format their microSD card. Maybe someday the DSTT team will actually update the menu system and fix some of the problems, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. So far they've been good about loader updates, but haven't made a single fix to the menu system that I know of.

-Bri