Hacking DSTT/M5 comparison

JackSparrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently I discovered a wonderful little device called the DSTT.. So good I thought I had to buy one for myself..

One was duely ordered from DS-Memory, a few days later arriving.. Good build quality, fairly robust and nice simple software..

To steal a phrase, it does exactly what it says on the tin..

So good in fact, I ended up ordering another 4 for friends and family, all exactly the same quality as the first and very happy with it.

Now I had to order a 5th, but got an M5 instead..

Oh dear Oh dear..

I do not like this, not one bit..

Very poor build quality, has a cheap feel about it, especially when inserting the MMC, it jammed against the spring, so I had to pop the cartridge open to repair it..

Not impressed.. Feels very clicky when going into the DS, not like the smooth action of the DSTT.

Im stuck with it now though, as ive promised the person who needs it a DSTT, so they can have my one and Ill have to put up with this.

Yes, its got some clever looking firmware on, but it does nothing that the DSTT and Moonshell cant..

Next time I order one I will specify a DSTT I think..

M5, cheap and tacky.. DSTT - Quality stuff..

Edited to add - the DSTT SAV files are compatible with the M5, as I just copied the whole folder across.. That is a bonus, but apart from that, if its one of these devices you want.. DSTT every time

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Did you mean N5 or M5? The N5 is essentially a ripoff of the R4, including the firmware. The R4 is an older cart. DSTT is much better. So is the Edge. The Acecard 2 might even be decent, but I'd wait and read the reviews on here before I would buy one (they are apparently expecting to get some to review any day now).

Thanks for the heads up, JackSparrow. If you meant the N5, you've confirmed what others have said on other threads. So the moral of this story is ... read the comments and reviews on gbatemp before buying a new cart!

-Bri

JackSparrow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
Did you mean N5 or M5? The N5 is essentially a ripoff of the R4, including the firmware. The R4 is an older cart. DSTT is much better. So is the Edge. The Acecard 2 might even be decent, but I'd wait and read the reviews on here before I would buy one (they are apparently expecting to get some to review any day now).

Thanks for the heads up, JackSparrow. If you meant the N5, you've confirmed what others have said on other threads. So the moral of this story is ... read the comments and reviews on gbatemp before buying a new cart!

-Bri

Yes, my mistake, I do mean the N5..

I ordered a DSTT from DS-Memory but they sent me this piece of rubbish instead, I have emailed them to accept this as a return and provide me with a DSTT, but as have yet had no response..

Edited to add: DS Memory will be exchanging this for a DSTT by return of post..

Yep, happy now
smile.gif

EN!GMA

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JackSparrow said:
Bri said:

-Bri

Yes, my mistake, I do mean the N5..

I ordered a DSTT from DS-Memory but they sent me this piece of rubbish instead, I have emailed them to accept this as a return and provide me with a DSTT, but as have yet had no response..

Edited to add: DS Memory will be exchanging this for a DSTT by return of post..

Yep, happy now
smile.gif

That's some BS right there, I mean I remember when stores sent out DSTTs instead of R4s but at least then you were getting a card that was if not better then at least the same quality. The N5 is, well, crap...
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou