DSTT is better than ???

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by DonLeon, Mar 20, 2008.

Mar 20, 2008

DSTT is better than ??? by DonLeon at 5:06 PM (4,168 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. DonLeon
    OP

Newcomer DonLeon Advanced Member

Indonesia
    may i ask DSTT is better than what ????
    there are many slot 1 card so can some1 give me explanation about it??
    example: DSTT > .......R4(maybe)
    from the price,compatibility,ETC
    sorry if u can't understand what i mean coz my english is BADDDDDDddddddddddd!!!!!!!

2. twit21

Member twit21 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's no better or worse than any other Slot1 flash cart. It is, however, cheaper and was more readily available back in December when people were ordering flash carts for Christmas gifts.

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It's better than R4. It does everything an R4 does, but also supports SDHC cards. It's also better than a lot of older carts that don't auto-patch.

It doesn't have the bells and whistles of more expensive carts such as the CycloDS.

It's similar in price and functionality to the Edge and Acekard 2, but there are some minor differences. See this thread for more details.

-Bri

4. litium

Member litium GBAtemp Regular

Argentina
    You should get the Value Pack (the one that comes with the GBA and Rumple expansions). Thet're really awesome. Altough i'm having trouble loading .bin files in the GBA Loader.
    DSTT Value Pack is a definetive buy. Reccomended 100%

5. Bri

United States
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the GBA 2in1 expansion pack separately. The GBA and the rumble packs are in fact exactly the same as the Ewin 2in1 expansion pack and Ewin rumble pack, both of which can be found relatively cheap (sometimes cheaper than buying all of them together). Also, you can probably do without a rumble pack -- it's fun to try out a couple times, but otherwise overrated (it only works on a few games and it uses up battery requiring more frequent recharging). If you can find a DSTT with a rumble for a few dollars more than a DSTT by itself, then it might be worth it.

-Bri

6. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Sorry if you can't understand what I mean, because my English is bad!

Couldn't resist.

7. DonLeon
    OP

Indonesia
    ferrari what do u mean by "couldn't resist"??

what i mean is from this list DSTT is > than?
    Acekard RPG
    CycloDS
    DS Xtreme
    eWin
    Edge
    EZ-Flash
    G6
    M3 Adapter
    N-Card & Clones,
    R4 DS
    Supercard
    FlashMe

8. Bri

United States
    DonLeon,

It depends what you're looking for. In general, people seem to like the CycloDS the best, except for the build quality. It is a higher-cost card, and has bells and whistles that I would personally never use (in-game menu, real-time saves, changing game speed, etc). Other people swear by the Acekard RPG (also a higher-cost card) which has an open-source menu and secondary on-board memory (for storing the firmware and also for storing/copying files).

Among the lower-cost cards are the DSTT, Edge, and Acekard 2. These don't have the bells and whistles of the CycloDS and RPG, but they do a fine job. They all run games and homebrew, microSDHC support, have near 100% compatibility, auto-DLDI, auto-patching, download play, cheats, etc. The DSTT is among the fastest carts, but doesn't sort the games in the menu (yet). However, YSMenu (homebrew menu system for the DSTT) does sort the games in the menu. The Edge is good too and has a menu that is similar to the CycloDS (they are not made by the same company), but its cheat database is in a format that nobody knows how to build (yet), so you're (currently) stuck with the ones the Edge team releases (you can't use Rayder's excellent cheat database, for example). The Acekard 2 (which is made by the same company as the Acekard RPG) also looks very good and has an awesome menu (which unlike the RPG is not currently open source), but the build quality is a little less sturdy than the other two. There are excellent reviews of all of these carts in the review section of this site.

I'm not familiar with the others you listed. Some of them are slot2 carts, which are an older design and require a passme card in slot1 to operate. I think many of the slot2 carts also require you to manually patch roms instead of using auto-patching. Personally, I would go with one of the slot1 solutions mentioned above depending on your budget and what's important to you.

-Bri

9. DonLeon
    OP

Indonesia
    so in the end DSTT is the most balance and simple cheap cards right??

how about R4 DS. R4 DS is known as an expensive card too right? but most people said that they like DSTT more thant R4 because R4 sometimes very sucks

10. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada

Flashme shouldn't be in there, and the ones in darker letters mean they're worse than DSTT. The ones that aren't really dark means they're better than the DSTT.

11. Bri

United States
    I'm not convinced that the Edge is better than the DSTT. It depends whether or not modifying the cheats is more important than having your roms sorted without installing YSMenu. The DSTT is also very fast.

The Acekard 2 might be better than the Edge or DSTT because it has a very nice menu system, but it's also not without its problems (flimsy hardware, annoying cheat installation).

Bottom line: all three are better than the R4.

-Bri

12. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    edge is better because it has no spring slot, so cant break that [​IMG]

13. Bri

United States
    As far as I know, the R4 is the only cart that has had problems with the spring breaking. It remains to be seen, but so far I've not heard of the spring breaking in any DSTT.

-Bri

14. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I like the SuperCard DS One the best, but dunno why everything's always ready to yell "OMG!11 CycloDS is SO COOL it ownz everything" and forget about the fact that the SCDS One exists and that's one of the best flashcart out there (if not the better...) [​IMG]

By the way, the DSTT is a great bargain. It has excellent support, the team does updates pretty quick, and it does well everything it should do, like cheats.
    If you can find it at a good price, buy it without doubts [​IMG]

15. DonLeon
    OP

Indonesia
    ahhhhhhh which one is better dstt or edge?
    DSTT vs Edge who will win?
    DSTT cannot sort the games but it doesn't matter because sorting games is a simple problem and it can use the YSmenu if you want to sort but i think it doesn't matter.
    sorting game isn't important i think.
    why would you place your game in your memory card if you just only sort it to the end of the list and doesn't play it again??

what is spring slot?

16. Bri

United States
    DonLeon,

First, consider waiting for the Acekard 2. If you don't want to wait, you'll probably go with DSTT anyway because the Edge is also hard to come by these days.

SPEED: The DSTT might have a slight speed advantage over the Edge and Acekard 2. I don't personally think waiting an extra second or two for a game to load is particularly relevant, but you might.

FIRMWARE/MENU: The Acekard 2 has an awesome menu (essentially the same as the one they use for the more expensive Acekard RPG) that is nicer than that of the Edge or DSTT. DSTT's original menu (TTMenu) doesn't sort the files (YSMenu does, but it currently has its own shortcomings -- no download play, limited touchscreen support). Note that you can put YSMenu and the original TTMenu on the same card and switch back and forth between the two if need-be. The Edge's menu system is designed to look like the menu on the more expensive CycloDS, although the two carts are not made by the same company. The Edge's menu system doesn't use the top screen for anything (it shows a static image there).

QUALITY: The Acekard 2 is less sturdy than the other two. Not necessarily an issue if you're careful with it. A small number of DSTT's have had some hardware problems (some units don't make proper contact with the DSTT). If you want a DSTT, I would recommend asking the seller to pop it in a Nintendo DS just to make sure it's operational before sending it to you (many already do this -- it's to their advantage). Also, make sure you can exchange it if there is a problem.

CHEATS: The cheat system on the Acekard 2 isn't as convenient to use as the other two since you have to create a special cheat file from the menu before you can use a cheat for a particular game, and you have to re-create the cheat file for the game if you update the cheats for that game in the cheat database. The Edge has a proprietary cheat database format, so you can't update the cheat database yourself (you have to wait for the Edge team to come up with updates). If you use cheats, particularly for games that aren't already in the Edge's cheat database, this could be a problem.

MICROSD SLOT: DSTT and Acecard 2 have spring-loaded microSD slots, which means that you push it in until it clicks to pop out the microSD. With the Edge, you pry the microSD out with your fingernail. Spring-loaded is more convenient, but there have been issues with the R4's spring-loading where the spring would break, leaving the cart more or less useless. The same thing could presumably happen with the DSTT and/or Acekard 2, although it has been suggested that the R4's spring was particularly weak and prone to breaking.

There you have the main differences that I know of. Note that many of the problems listed could potentially be corrected with future firmware updates. The DSTT has had good support so far with fairly regular updates, and Yasu seems to update YSMenu fairly regularly. The DSTT is distributed by two different companies (one under the name TTDS and one under DSTT) which might increase reliability of updates (although it seems that only the DSTT team actually modifies the firmware currently). You can probably expect decent updates for the Acekard 2 since the Acekard RPG (made by the same company and sharing similar firmware) is updated regularly. The Edge is too new to know how good support will be for it.

Bottom line: all have advantages and disadvantages. Choose whichever seems best for you! Unlike the more expensive carts, none of these budget carts are a major investment (between $30 and $40) so if you choose wrong it's not the end of the world.

-Bri

17. DonLeon
    OP

Indonesia
    in my country,indonesia
    Many Shops sell edge,DSTT,SuperCard(realtime save).

Do you know indonesia? country of the pirates hahahha. just go to the shop and buy it ^^.
    I don't have to order from online shops ^^ its easy right?

My friend's friend use edge and buy 8GB microSD and it runs.
    i don't know it runs perfectly(fast load and doesn't hang) or not

Overall which one is sucker?? DSTT or Edge?
    from the pros and cons

18. Bri

United States
    For the last time:

DSTT is faster. Edge has a better menu and sorts the games in the menu. DSTT has YSMenu (which sorts games, but still isn't as good as the Edge's menu), but it's nice to be able to switch between different menu systems. You can add your own cheats to the DSTT's cheat system (the Edge's cheat system is in a proprietary format so you must wait for them to release new updates). The DSTT's microSD slot is spring loaded. The DSTT's team has been pretty good about getting out updates once a month or so (the Edge is unknown).

So it all depends on what is important to you. I personally would wait for an Acekard 2.

ETA: If you can buy it from a local store, then buy a DSTT and compare it to your friend's Edge. If you don't like it, take it back and get an Edge.

-Bri

19. DonLeon
    OP

Indonesia
    i has compared it with my friend's edge and he hated DSTT and said "DSTT is Sucksss ,edge is better"
    but i think edge better with the sorting menu and playing music/video only.

20. Bri

United States
    If you don't need to update your cheat database, the Edge might be slightly better than the DSTT at this point. I imagine that will change when the DSTT developers fix the sorting issue. The DSTT can play music and video as well as the Edge can using moonshell.

-Bri