Hacking DSTT Is a Freaking Battery Killer

Guat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Yep same here, i actually can't compare it to another flash cards, however the DSTT seems to be eat the battery even when sleep mode like crazy.

I got the Charger Grip lite form Nyko like two weeks ago though, and it gives me a couple more hours without having to plug it to the wall.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
i've noticed my battery dying in sleep mode as quickly as if i was actually playing, so i never put it in sleep mode.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the backlight is still on when you close the lid? I can't imagine that the NDS could possibly consume as much battery with the backlight off as it would if it were on.

According to their website, as of kernel version 1.08 the DSTT is supposed to have "standby fucntion [sic] for ds console," which I take to means that it's supposed to use less battery when the lid is shut.

-Bri

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the ds lite turns off the lights whens its in sleep mode basically its just "frozen"
but i think we should make a battery extended chart for flashcarts and sticky it

in my opinion i think most flashcarts eat a lot of batteries and sleep mode just makes it worse

Ice Cold

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bri said:
Can anyone confirm whether or not the backlight is still on when you close the lid? I can't imagine that the NDS could possibly consume as much battery with the backlight off as it would if it were on.

According to their website, as of kernel version 1.08 the DSTT is supposed to have "standby fucntion [sic] for ds console," which I take to means that it's supposed to use less battery when the lid is shut.

-Bri

I always turn it into sleep mode for short periods of time. It's quite plain to see that the lights turn back on when you flip it open again.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, if the backlight goes off I would find it very difficult to believe that it uses just as much power when sleeping as when playing a game as nando suggested (I'm assuming nando plays games with the backlight on).

-Bri

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
Like I said, if the backlight goes off I would find it very difficult to believe that it uses just as much power when sleeping as when playing a game as nando suggested (I'm assuming nando plays games with the backlight on).

-Bri

that's a very cute way to put it. i have charged my ds overnight, played it on the train on my way to work, put it in sleep mode when i get to work and sometime after lunch time i get the red light. it's happened several times. there may be something else wrong with it, maybe it isn't charging all the way but i've played it for extended periods of times without charging.

i'll try to replicate the results to see what's wrong. better to test it and make sure than to waste time arguing on online forums, right?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only way to know for sure is to let the battery drain completely. Then recharge it completely, load up a game (preferably one that has a demo mode or an opening video that will play over and over again -- I don't know if the NDS can experience screen burn-in but better safe than sorry), close the lid, and time how long it takes the battery to drain completely. Then recharge completely, load up the same game, and let it run again, but with the lid open (whatever backlight brightness you normally use) until it drains completely.

I'd be surprised if the backlight doesn't cause the battery to drain faster than no backlight when the lid is shut.

-Bri

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
Like I said, if the backlight goes off I would find it very difficult to believe that it uses just as much power when sleeping as when playing a game as nando suggested (I'm assuming nando plays games with the backlight on). -Bri
Probably not as much power, but still a fair bit. Take Animal Crossing for example; this game doesn't sleep, but closing the lid will turn the screens off. You can tell because the green light doesn't flash. And it still consumes a fair bit of battery power while in that state.

I can't ask now but I've seen more red lights on my sister's DS than mine, and she's hardly ever here. So it must take the battery for a ride a fair bit. She's on the old 1.07 firmware though, I'll ask when I see her next and if it's a problem try an upgrade.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, 1.08 is the first version of the firmware that supports sleep mode.

Again, I was responding to what nando said, which is that it uses just as much power when in sleep mode as it does playing a game. I find that difficult to believe.

The power consumption when in sleep mode probably depends on both the game and the cart. You'd have to test multiple carts using the same game and doing the same thing in that game (a self-running demo would work well here since it requires no interaction) in order to get a fair comparison of whether the DSTT uses an unusually large amount of power when in sleep mode.

I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm just saying that I'm fairly sure it still uses less in sleep mode than not in sleep mode. And I'm not sure whether it uses more than another cart because as far as I know nobody has done the comparison.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yuwing,

I'm sure all carts/games use battery when in sleep mode. The question is whether the DSTT uses an unusually large amount of power when in sleep mode compared to other carts. Did you do an experiment like the one I outlined in my previous post? If so, which carts did you compare and how long did each last on a full battery in sleep mode with the same demo running?

-Bri

LesMcQueen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
The R4 eats the battery in sleep mode too. It's not just the DSTT.

I'd agree with that.

I have DS with a DS-Linker/Ncard, and a DS with an R4.
The battery life on the DS-Linker/Ncard is about twice that of the R4 in my experience.

D

Deleted-119707

all games and carts have to use battery in sleep mode. it uses battery to keep the game where you are without any interuptions. and you see the led? it flashes when its in sleep mode. so it has to use battery

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.