DSTT Card v R4ds

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by woof811, Dec 16, 2007.

Dec 16, 2007

DSTT Card v R4ds by woof811 at 9:46 AM (3,504 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. woof811
    OP

Newcomer woof811 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
  2. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    You think that's good, wait 'til you see the price of the 2 gig bundle. I doubt very much they'll stay at that for long, and I suspect DealExtreme may be hoping to win over people who they can't directly sell an R4 to any more. It's a new product with unproven support, so my guess is they don't think they can get away with selling it for much more than a 2 gig N-Card clone until people other than just the early-adopters are buying them.

That price was just too tempting. I've got the 2-gig bundle on order right now, so I guess I'll see for myself eventually. One thing that's appealing about the DSTT is that although it's OEM'd by unknown parties, there are two different brandings of it and the firmware is interchangeable between them - no brand locking, no language locking, nada. Compare and contrast that with the R4/M3Simply/English/Chinese situation. The R4/M3Simply is by now well-enough established that I doubt it'll be orphaned any time soon, and the patchers are available to convert between different h/w and language versions, but the lack of version lock-down on the TT might make it less of a risk if either of the current distributors abandons it - or if new distributors take them on too, or if the hardware design is licenced elsewhere or just plain stolen/cloned.

Early days, but I think this is definitely one to watch. Don't think I'd generally recommend it to others just yet because I haven't used it yet, but hey, whatever the right tool is for the job - I got an EZ-V a couple of weeks ago because I'd never had a play with one, and it's since gone to a friend whose youngest child can't be trained not to hit the X button on an R4. Even if it turns out to have a few deficiencies in certain areas, it may well have strengths that make it the best cartridge for particular users.

3. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    I'm buying one right now just to test it out.

4. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    But it's called "Top Toy DS".
    The included expansion packs don't even work with the current loader.
    An M3 Real would be a better option, even though it cost's more.

5. Giangsta

Member Giangsta GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i've already ordered 2 from DX. I'm gettin this over the ncard and clones just because it looks a lot more pro (no offense but the ncards look pretty amateur) and is cheaper also

6. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    The included expansion packs do work fine
    Rumble works great out of the box
    GBA works great out of the box with the gba loader ds application (GBALDR v1.4.0) Rapidshare link
    RAM doesn't work out of the box.

The included expansion packs with the TTDS are the EWIN expansion packs!

7. pinky

Newcomer pinky Member

Australia
    Card worked great out of the box (used the 1.07 version software on it, with a 4gb SDHC Sandisk Card). The only thing that has me worried is the card slot is "spring" loaded... we'll see how it goes! Menu system is nice but a little laggy compared to my v2 R4 (no spring).

Pinky

8. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The thing that I really don't like about these new cards (TTDS, M3 Real) is that they only show 4 games at time in the game menu. Even though it's not that great looking, the R4 menu shows 16? 15? games at once. That's much more convienient to me.

9. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I completely agree. I think the cyclo is like that as well which is a shame.

10. jrdehaisx

Newcomer jrdehaisx Advanced Member

United States
    I will like to try the DSTT I just bought an EZ Flash 5, but still I will like to try the DSTT, the spring gives me the chills...

I have had an R4DS, but I sold it for $90 in my country so pretty much... well lucky me I can buy 3 of this to resale! jajaja

11. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    You can change it with the Cyclo. IIRC there are several file listings (list, icons, little icons)