Hacking DSTT & Animal Crossing: City Folk

mrsayao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought my girlfriend a DS and DSTT and put Animal Crossing: Wild World on it. Her birthday just passed and I got her AC: City Folk. There's an option at the very beginning of the game to "move" your character to the Wii from the DS. To do this, you must put in the AC:WW game into the NDS, turn it on, then install the "Moving Van" via DS Download Play. Since I have the DSTT, I forgot how to boot to the NDS menu, so I removed the DSTT, turned on the DS, and reinserted the DSTT after the normal NDS menu appeared. When the DS starts downloading the "moving van" it completes successfully, until after the "Moving van" app boots up. After the app boots up, theres a screen (on the NDS) with the error on it saying that it cannot detect the AC: WW game cart. I'm guessing it does this because the moving van boots the game up and expects wild world to start up right away, but throws out an error when it can't find the cart. I'm trying to pinpoint if it's the way I booted to the NDS menu (by first removing the DSTT), or if the game itself expects a real WW cart to be present. How do I boot to the "normal" NDS menu with the DSTT? I checked out DSTT's English website, but it's soo bad, that I can't find what I'm looking for. Thanks for any help. Since City Folk just came out, I guess I'll sit on my thumbs until more people buy the game (haha)....

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not positive (I haven't ever tried what you're doing), but I'm guessing you have to initiate the download play from AC:WW on the DS. In other words, you don't need to access the NDS menu (that's only to receive a download play, not to initiate one). You need to start up the game on your DS and initiate the download play from inside AC:WW (I'm guessing there's an option in the town gate area near the top of your town).

If you have to receive download play from the Wii (which is what it sounds like you're trying to do) then I'm guessing there's no way to do it without a real game cartridge.

PS: You can boot to the NDS menu by installing Yasu's "back2fw" (back to firmware) program. But I don't think it'll help you in this case.

-Bri

mrsayao

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri,
The "game" on the Wii, tells you to pop in the AC:WW cart, then turn on the ds. Assuming the DS is set to boot to the main NDS menu, it tells you to go to the DS Download Play. That's the only way I've got to initiate the moving van app they're talking about. I looked through all the options on the DS WW and I couldn't find anything regarding download play through the game. In WW, the only way to play with someone else is to open your town gate and I think that's not the route the Wii is meaning for you to initiate the whole move. Anyway, she decided to just start over. I explained to her, the manual only allows you to port over your character and some catalog items. You can't move over your money, house, or items... there really wouldn't be any point, since you'd be essentially playing the SAME exact game, except for the fact it's on a bigger screen. Thanks for all your help anyway! I think further down the road, the excellent minds will figure something out, but by then she'd be far enough in the game that it wouldn't matter.

BTW, for some people that may have lost their original cart, and know someone with an actual WW cart and a spare GBACF adapter (GBA slot cart), you can run the app (i forget what it's called) where it'll write the save to the actual DS cart, then you can use the real cart as the way the Wii is intending you to do so.... just a thought. I would've done the same, but I'd have to look through boxes and boxes of junk since I moved recently.... thanks again for everyone's help! I hope I gave some insight to those die-hard Wild Worlders who wanna port over their good looks to City Folk. Just remember that you can use your MII FACE instead later down the road!!!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mrsayao said:
Bri,
The "game" on the Wii, tells you to pop in the AC:WW cart, then turn on the ds. Assuming the DS is set to boot to the main NDS menu, it tells you to go to the DS Download Play. That's the only way I've got to initiate the moving van app they're talking about. I looked through all the options on the DS WW and I couldn't find anything regarding download play through the game. In WW, the only way to play with someone else is to open your town gate and I think that's not the route the Wii is meaning for you to initiate the whole move. Anyway, she decided to just start over. I explained to her, the manual only allows you to port over your character and some catalog items. You can't move over your money, house, or items... there really wouldn't be any point, since you'd be essentially playing the SAME exact game, except for the fact it's on a bigger screen. Thanks for all your help anyway! I think further down the road, the excellent minds will figure something out, but by then she'd be far enough in the game that it wouldn't matter.

BTW, for some people that may have lost their original cart, and know someone with an actual WW cart and a spare GBACF adapter (GBA slot cart), you can run the app (i forget what it's called) where it'll write the save to the actual DS cart, then you can use the real cart as the way the Wii is intending you to do so.... just a thought. I would've done the same, but I'd have to look through boxes and boxes of junk since I moved recently.... thanks again for everyone's help! I hope I gave some insight to those die-hard Wild Worlders who wanna port over their good looks to City Folk. Just remember that you can use your MII FACE instead later down the road!!!

Yeah, sounds like you can't do it without an official cart. However, if she just wants the same character, there are some guides that tell you how to answer the questions at the beginning of the game to get a particular character.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...