DSTT and 6GB MicroSDHC - Formatting for Music + Games

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by CenerHimself, Apr 6, 2008.

1. CenerHimself
    OP

Newcomer CenerHimself Newbie

United States
    I got a 6GB MicroSDHC for my DSTT, and I want to put music, movies, games, and homebrew on it. What is the best way to format the card? I have Windows XP. I searched for the answer, but no one talked about music/movies. Thanks in advance!

2. Jebula

Newcomer Jebula Member

Finland
    right click on the card and format.

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Many have recommended using the Panasonic formatting tool linked to near the beginning of this thread.

-Bri

4. CenerHimself
    OP

United States
    Sorry, by best way, I meant, how to format it. I don't even know the first step of how to do it and what settings to use. Thanks again!

5. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I think there are instructions on the site where you can find the Panasonic formatter mentioned in that other thread. You can only format using FAT32 with a 6GB microSDHC, but if you have a choice you want to use the largest cluster size that is practical for the fastest read/write speed. In general the larger the cluster size, the less usable space on the microSDHC card but the faster the speed.

-Bri

6. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    I got the 8GB sandisk, i formatted it to FAT32 64KB clusters (with standard windows format)
    works great, even Castlevania PoR/DoS works quite well (PoR has freezed for me 1 time, DoS intro without lagg)

7. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Thats basically what i did.

I inserted the usb adapter in to my computer and windows automatically installs the drivers.

In windows explorer (press 'windows key' and 'E' on you key board) I just right clicked on the SD card (which will be displayed as a disk drive) and clicked format. Quick and it works fine. You can also format through the command prompt.. but the differences are minor, not leaps and bounds..

8. CenerHimself
    OP

United States
    Thanks all!