FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ILOVEPIE has released a new version of DSTELNET which as the name implies allows you to connect to telnet servers with your DS. Unlike the first alpha you can now go wherever you like and by our reckoning it is the first standalone telnet client for the DS (previously your only real option was DSlinux). We have not tested it at length against any of our favourite MUDs yet but it does seem to have issues with wireless security and non standard ports- the author quite clearly states it is alpha software though.[/p]

this version can connect to a telnet server of your choice:

make a text file at:

/DSTELNET/config.cfg

with the URL or IP of the telnet server you wish to connect to…

icon11.gif
 Project release post
download.gif
 Filetrip download

Thanks to Drunkencoders for the news.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Telnet a text based protocol for various things. These days it is mainly used for embedded hardware (your router might have the option and there are things like http://www.eevblog.com/2010/04/18/eevblog-...pe-hack-update/) although I would not suggest you wave this program near anything like that at this point and most sensible devices have an SSH option instead (more or less the same idea but a bit more secure), people that want to play MUDs ( http://www.mudconnect.com/index.html ) and the occasional BBS that can still use it I guess. Basically it is a legacy protocol but one that people keep around either for nostalgia or because it is quick, fairly simple and quite far reaching when it needs to be.

Speaking of MUDs hack, nethack, crawl and such all have had DS ports for a long time (to the point where the source was left and had to be taken up by others to add DLDI when that came around) or are you looking for some proper multiplayer/scoreboards? If so please ignore me.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Speaking of MUDs hack, nethack, dscrawl and such all have had DS ports for a long time (to the point where the source was left and had to be taken up by others to add DLDI when that came around) or are you looking for some proper multiplayer/scoreboards? If so please ignore me.
I was actually interested in watching other people play on ALT.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Awesome. Gonna try that now.
smile.gif

€dit: Ok, not connecting to the shell here (or maybe it can't, dunno). May be my router again - it doesn't really like WiFi homebrew.
But this is still a great homebrew.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately for MUDs it is missing several things including ANSI color and MCCP (compression). Hopefully those will be added later.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to be preatty hardcore into talkers back in the day. Even had my own at one point I spent way too much time messing around with the code for. Never really got into MUDs/MUSEs/MUSHes/MOOs though.... people still play those? I would have thought with things like WoW they'd be long dead. It seems all the talkers have been dead for years now.

EDIT:

Mugiwara no Kot said:
sorry for the ignorance but, I've read it and cant really understand what does dstelnet can do. could someone please explain basically what is and what can do ds dstelnet??

thanks o/

FAST gave a good explanation. If you want an example, go start/run in windows and type "telnet euts.org 1998" that will bring up one of the remaining talkers. Granted, nobody really goes there anymore, but hey.

ILOVEPIE

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
rohan.sdsu.edu
XP
Country
United States
I have been busy with other things lately and have not been able to update this because the computer i was developing it on broke... hopefully i will be able to get my hands on a connector so i can connect the hard drive as an external one and extract the source code. But in the meantime...

I am working on a new project but you will have to guess what it is:

It involves something like telnet.
It involves PC and MAC video games.
It involves the DS (of course).
It is not a video game.
It has something to do with the company Valve Software.

Hint:
A little searching of the valve developer wiki for ILOVEPIE may help you figgure it out.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello and welcome here :)

I found only something related to RCON Protocol, but I don't know Valve or Source so I don't know what it's used for.
Maybe a console for Source games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water