Hacking DSONE clones appear to be available for purchase

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I thought I would have some fun with inkscape earlier so I have a vector version now. Maybe not pixel exact but at the size of a label you are playing with a jeweller's loupe to tell. I have not quite figured out dithering/newsprint effects in inkscape so left it for now (got a blurred effect for the shadow around DS though). If I were to do it in GIMP I would probably want to go layer by layer for all the parts which is no fun.

CARD is one of the arials though tweaked a bit. Easy enough to match up. eng was similarly a basic sans serif type deal.
No idea what DS is but was enough of there in high enough clarity I could trace it and copy colours.

Super could be one of several fonts, though Bank Gothic Std Medium and Morris Sans Pro Medium (as well as another Morris sans font) were the best candidates. Sadly they are paid fonts so linking might be hard there (easy enough to find if you need them).
PNG so you can see it
View attachment 269193
SVG attached, made in inkscape with fonts mentioned already.

Did not bother doing any kind of sizing for print, though you have 0.5mm rulers above in the photo so I am not too bothered on that front.

Wonder if we will eventually see these in the new batches coming out.
Could you post a png version please photoshop wont let me import this for some reason. I tried an online converter but it messes up because the font

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah PNG was already up there, was left as PNG as well to avoid issues with the forum recompressing JPG.

Anyway I did wonder if the fonts would cause grief again. I will attach a version with the text info lost and instead it converted to path. While the somehow many fonts in such a small image probably offending most design sensibilities more the card not be being aligned with the top of the super probably bothers me more but I am not sure at this point if that was my initial picture being about 0.9 degrees off parallel and slightly tilted to avoid the light or something else. You have the stuff there so move it if you want.

For the sake of completeness though then fonts if you did want to download and install
Super is
MorrisSansW01-Medium
Card is
Arial and bolded (don't know if that means Arial Bold or something else but some programs do have multiple versions of nominally the same font to handle italics, bold and such)
eng down the bottom is "sans-serif" (I made it on a MX Linux system) but you could probably get away with most arial a likes.
DS as mentioned was traced so don't know there.
One is
ausprobe, linked earlier. The others are all fairly well known commercial fonts and I am not in Switzerland (unlike many places they don't recognise copyright on fonts, though I see the US recently did something so I have some reading it seems) so linking dodgy download sites is probably not the done deal (though as that session saw me grab some other fonts* I did see one say "by downloading this you agree you own the rights to use the font" or similar which amused me as a nice throwback to ROM sites of old, would have loved a "you must delete this within 24 hours" for that really old school ROM site throwback but I will take what I can get).

*I really have to stop going to font sites. https://www.fontsquirrel.com/ is as bad as http://www.actsofgord.com/ , darwin awards or tvtropes for "hours interested of clicking later".

I was using Inkscape 0.92.5 (2060ec1f9f, 2020-04-08) on Linux if we need crazy detail levels, sometimes I do find inkscape svg not inclined to play nicely with other SVG editing/viewing programs (presumably if you have photoshop then adobe's equivalent is illustrator).

Anyway new version with all text data in main image section having had object to path pressed on my system, though outside the main section there is a copy of the original just so future forum searchers don't have to pick between versions if they do want to mix it up a bit on the text front (maybe we have to redo the DS One i or something in a few weeks when the clones advance). I did not include any bitmaps I was working from during the actual making of this just to keep the size down but I have nothing that was not linked or posted in the last couple of pages anyway. Still not bothered with any outlining or whatever for print purposes.

Attachments

• supercard_dsone_label_remake_obj_path.svg.7z
    8.4 KB · Views: 162

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Made another one copying an older label design and text from fasts pic, text isn't exact though. psd file in zip
supercard old logo.png

Also made a couple of labels and rounded the corners this time
labels.jpg

Attachments

• supercard old logo.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 118

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Got my cart its a bit of a tight fit in my dsi, I think its because the card is bulging. I wonder if this is why they dont ship them with stickers in the first place
upload_2021-7-9_14-50-12.png

upload_2021-7-9_14-50-24.png

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Anyone having issues with cheats on here? ive got the newest usrcheat.dat I can see the cheats and select them but they dont work in game. This is on pokemon platinum

Also is there a difference between the dsone sdhc and dsone i/dsonei mini firmwares? they both seem to work fine

Last edited by Shadow_The_Hedgehog82,

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone having issues with cheats on here? ive got the newest usrcheat.dat I can see the cheats and select them but they dont work in game. This is on pokemon platinum

Also is there a difference between the dsone sdhc and dsone i/dsonei mini firmwares? they both seem to work fine

I have not had any issues with cheats in the games that I have tried, using DSJ's database. Are you sure you've enabled the cheat engine for the game (in the menu that pops up when you hit Y with a game selected)? The kernel for the DSONE SDHC and DSONEi are identical. I've uploaded a version with a patch for Pokemon Conquest that is missing from the last official release: https://gbatemp.net/download/superc...olution-firmware-eng-1-0-sp6-12-6-2012.37169/ . You can also get the patch individually here: https://gbatemp.net/download/dsone-i-patch.37131/

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have not had any issues with cheats in the games that I have tried, using DSJ's database. Are you sure you've enabled the cheat engine for the game (in the menu that pops up when you hit Y with a game selected)? The kernel for the DSONE SDHC and DSONEi are identical. I've uploaded a version with a patch for Pokemon Conquest that is missing from the last official release: https://gbatemp.net/download/superc...olution-firmware-eng-1-0-sp6-12-6-2012.37169/ . You can also get the patch individually here: https://gbatemp.net/download/dsone-i-patch.37131/
I tested some other cheats and those are working so its the specific cheats i was testing one of them is to disable the journal when starting the game. It works on my acekard so not sure why it doesn't work on the supercard

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah have contacted the seller, i'm surprised they even put spring loaded ones in them theyre super unreliable and probably cost more too

The slots are pretty cheap and prone to failure. The slot doesn't actually retain the SD card so you can click it in once and then just slide your SD card in and out like any other flashcart to avoid breaking the mechanism.

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did notice the click mechanism feels super delicate. Some of my SD cards catch a little when trying to insert or eject, others are absolutely fine. Side by side the SD cards are basically identical so I'm not sure why some are fine and others not.

plasticpenny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased one of these for <$10 shipped, to run in an old NDSLite as it seemed some people had luck with them.
I was able to load DSOne EOS files onto an SDHC card, but when attempting to launch nds files it always hung with the "DSOne EOS loading..." splash on the bottom screen, and a black screen on the top.

After running the built in self test (hold L&R down while applying power). I saw:

Code:
Test Psram
psram error!

Since I always had this problem (not degradation over time), this seemed like a hardware problem to me.
With nothing to lose, I applied some flux around the sram chip and turned on the hot air gun (~1min at 250C and maybe 30s at 350c):
upload_2021-7-19_1-49-33.png

Everything's working now!

If you do this, be careful not to move the PCB until it's cooled so you don't cause the components on the backside of the board to move/fall off (they're probably also reflowing).

I also modified the plastic case a bit as C22 (pictured above) didn't align with the plastic cutout and was causing it to bow outward pretty significantly. Just lobbed off a little extra plastic to provide clearance.
Covered the holes with Kaptop tape so it can slide in/out without anything getting caught up inside the DS.
upload_2021-7-19_1-51-29.png

Thought I'd share in the event this helped out anyone else.

boots_n_cats

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I purchased one of these for <$10 shipped, to run in an old NDSLite as it seemed some people had luck with them.
I was able to load DSOne EOS files onto an SDHC card, but when attempting to launch nds files it always hung with the "DSOne EOS loading..." splash on the bottom screen, and a black screen on the top.

After running the built in self test (hold L&R down while applying power). I saw:

Code:
Test Psram
psram error!

Since I always had this problem (not degradation over time), this seemed like a hardware problem to me.
With nothing to lose, I applied some flux around the sram chip and turned on the hot air gun (~1min at 250C and maybe 30s at 350c):
View attachment 270383

Everything's working now!

If you do this, be careful not to move the PCB until it's cooled so you don't cause the components on the backside of the board to move/fall off (they're probably also reflowing).

I also modified the plastic case a bit as C22 (pictured above) didn't align with the plastic cutout and was causing it to bow outward pretty significantly. Just lobbed off a little extra plastic to provide clearance.
Covered the holes with Kaptop tape so it can slide in/out without anything getting caught up inside the DS.
View attachment 270384

Thought I'd share in the event this helped out anyone else.

Great work, thanks for writing this up! I suspected this might be a solution for some errors with these carts. I was able to do the reverse thing and create a PSRAM Error cart by reflowing but I'm playing around with swapping chips off a legit cart (long story short, every piece of these clones is interchangeable with parts from a legit DSONE) so I never got around to fixing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended