DSlite repair: DSL works, but won't charge? Orange LED blinks once, then turns off. (Help, please?)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Nightsail, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Nightsail
    OP

Nightsail Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2016
    United States
    I'm trying to fix up this DS Lite for someone as a gift. Changed out the lower screen for one that wasn't cracked, replaced the breaking shell with a nice pretty new one, etc... and it all works! Turns on, plays games, buttons and touch-screen function fine, it all checks out! ....Except that it won't charge.

It isn't the charge cord: that cord works fine on my own DSL. It isn't the battery; it sustained it just fine while it had charge. I even swapped it out for the battery in my own DSL, which was charged.

The fuses seem to be fine, from what I can tell. The power port seems to work; I re-heated the solder under it and tested that the pins connected from the port's end to the solder under the board, and it checked out.

But when I plug the charger cord up to this DS, it refuses to charge. The orange light comes on briefly, not even for a full second, then goes dark again. Whether the system is on or not doesn't seem to matter in this. I was able to get it to charge when I took the bottom shell piece back off and simply held the battery in place, but it went back to not working once I put it back together, and I took it apart again, and it's refusing to work once more. I'm at a loss.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong with it? What might I try checking out on it next?

2. Sharkhunter03

Sharkhunter03 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    United States
    Watching nuclear graphite burn.
    I know you said that the charger isn't the problem, but maybe it is shorted in a certain way that you didn't notice it with the position of your own DSL. It might also be in the port of the charger that, again, was messed up in a certain way that you didn't notice on your own DSL. Try juggling (or at least moving around a lot) both DSLs with the same charger inserted. You can also try to insert the charger slowly or partially.
    -ET

Last edited by Sharkhunter03, Dec 14, 2016
  3. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    Broken fuse.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For the fuse do a resistance check rather than just continuity.