DSLinker vs Final Fantasy III

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Kniteshade, Jun 16, 2007.

Jun 16, 2007
  1. Kniteshade
    OP

Newcomer Kniteshade Member

Australia
    I have a DSLinker 8G card, been using it since the start of May. I like it, it's nifty and gets the job done. The firmware is currently 1.230.

Now. Problem.

During the middle of the FMV in FFIII, 'crackles' or to be technical, static, appears in the speakers. If you want me to be more specific, it's around when the white mage is healing the red mage, the black mage calls them over, all 4 step outside of the cave...then bam crackle and static is heard in place of Nobuo's awesome musical score. The video still runs perfectly though, the sound is messed up.

Now, before anybody calls bad ROM, get another one. I'm 13 hours in. It's always been fine. Just now that the problem's started. If you want me to be more specific, I was starting up FFIII whilst charging my DS Lite, problem appears, insert me with a :wtf: look, so I wait for the thing to finish charging in case it has something to do with the adapter. (Slim chance most likely, but hey). DS Lite finishes charging, I run FFIII again, same thing. I'm starting to think maybe it's my DS Lite getting old now so I test a few other ROMs.

Tested the other ROMs (played each for 15mins) on the DSLinker and it was fine; Castlevania: PoR (FMV runs perfect), Brain Age, Pokemon D, NFS: Carbon, Brothers in Arms DS, SlitherLink, MoonShell (all mp3 sounded fine as far as the DS Lite is capable of in quality terms). Popped out DSLinker, popped in Mario Kart DS (the real thing) and it plays fine.

Now all that has lead me to believe is the flash card has distorted the FFIII ROM. Is that even possible?!

Help? =_=

2. cornaljoe

Member cornaljoe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. Kniteshade
    OP

Newcomer Kniteshade Member

Australia
    Question. What exactly is the Xmenu or what it does?

I'm on DSLinker's page. There're two seperate files. The firmware and the Xmenu. Can I just load the firmware on my card and that's fine. Or do I have to load the Xmenu along with firmware file on the card for the latest firmware to fully work?

EDIT: Nevermind. 20 minutes later, got the new firmware up. Tested FFIII straight away, sound problem is gone. DSLinker got pwned.