DSLink: still a viable option?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by JonoBG, Dec 17, 2006.

Dec 17, 2006

DSLink: still a viable option? by JonoBG at 4:38 AM (1,892 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. JonoBG
    OP

Newcomer JonoBG Advanced Member

Australia
    With new slot 1 cards such as the supercard and m3 now announced and soon to be released, is the DSLink still worth considering? I noticed on bamboogaming that the DSlink actually costs more than the supercard slot 1, does the card actually have any benefits to warrant this extra cost?

2. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    well for one thing, your friend's ds don't need to be flashed when u download play in multiplayer.

3. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    DSLink compatibility is fairly high, and all around it's a decent card - but only if you have a way to load it (MK4-mini, flashed DS or a GBA flashcart with MK4mini dump on it).

Basically, for the cost, if you can manage the wait get one of these nopass+microSD combo cards, in the long run it is cheaper and some of the people who are bringing them out have a pretty good "track" record of keeping happy customers (wrather than only trying to get new ones).

4. JonoBG
    OP

Newcomer JonoBG Advanced Member

Australia
    Is there anywhere I can get a DSLink compatibility list?

Furthermore, if was to have a G6 Lite in Slot 2 on a flashed DS would I have to take it out every time I want to boot into the DS-Link or is there a way around this? Otherwise I will just go with one of the other slot 1 solutions, that way I can hold select while booting and simply select the slot 1 card from that menu without having to remove the slot 2.

5. Fatal

Newcomer Fatal Advanced Member

United States
    Source? GBAtemps review seems to say otherwise.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=37209

6. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I would just like to add that this is one hell of a card. The compatibility rate (I am guessing) is around 99%. I didn't test every single rom, but I have yet to find a rom that does not run (cept PoR of course freezes like every other card).

The build quality is top notch....a really solid card. The menu is quick, easy, looks great and can be fully modified/skinned. THe PC software is cut and dry simple as well.

It shows that alot of work went into the DS-Link....one of the best cards out there today.

7. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Been playing around with M3 Simply, R4, Supercard DS One and DS-Xtreme, When i got my DS-Link i have put it back in the box after 2 days and listed it up for sale on a local online site like e-bay (one that allowas more)

To say, it isn't one of the best cards i have.
    No drag and drop (you have to use software to put it on the TF/MicroSD)
    the user interface isn't that great (ok, supercard isn't that good to)
    the case feels very cheap
    No nice box it came in (where's the alu box that's shown in every review ?)
    Software wasn't provided and the chinese webpage is VERY SLOW, the english one i can't even access, it asks for a password and login.
    Your DS needs to be Flashme
    etc...

To be honest, i bought the DS-Link to figure out the saves of games, but even that didn't work to well
    The Supercard DS One has an option to set the savetype of a new game and set it and save the setting all within the GUI (Hacked Moonshell with extra options) Without waiting for an updated list M3 simply/R4/Ds-Xtreme don't even need those list or settings.

Anyway, just my opinion, ds-link isn't the best one out there, if i set the slot ones in order of how i would rate them

R4/M3 Simply (Same manufacturer, same card)
    DS-Xtreme (better homebrew support then the 2 above)
    Supercard DS One
    DS-Link (needs Flashed DS)

But that doesn't mean it is the worsed one of all slot1's out there [​IMG] it could be better then X9, 1:1, or whatever other slot1 cards are out there, i really don't know cause i never had those [​IMG] .

8. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, the DS needing to be flashed and the roms needing to be patched via software is something that has been covered a million times in threads and reviews, so you probably should have paid attention to these reviews before purchasing if it is such a big problem to you.

The case does NOT feel cheap. If yours does, then you got a dud. I owned the DS-Xtreme, now that case felt cheap. It creaked, and one of the little plastic tabs were actually broken upon arrival. Not sure what you meant there, but I own three DS-Links, and they are all as solid as a regular DS cart.

I guess it is personal opinion on the GUI, but I think the DS-Link's GUI is rather sweet. Simple, customizable, quick, clean...what else do you need? Touch screen support *maybe*....even if that were implimented I probably would not use it.

And saving. What to "figure out"? You do not have to set any kind of save type. Just patch and run the game. When instructed to save in-game, do just that. Re-load the game sometime in the future, and guess what? It recorded your save! Amazing! Umm...it is working like the retail cartridge...heh. As for putzing with save settings, sizes, whatever...bleh...that is certainly a step backward.

Anyway, just my opinion.

9. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Personnaly I'd rather get the M3 simple , Supercard DS (one) or R4 as you know they'll be well supported through firmware updates. If the R4 isn't well supported its easy enough to change it into an M3 simple.

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    That's good to know. I was debating between getting a DS Link or an Ewin2 Lite as a cheap thing to tide me over until the M3 Real. ..I'm still not sure which, but I am now leaning towards the DS Link (I have a flashed DS, so that's not a problem for me). The main advantage I see that the Ewin2 has over the DS Linker is that you can do save transfers with it via Rein (solely because it is a slot-2 card), plus there's a black one to match my Lite [​IMG].

11. GBA_FREAK_01

Newcomer GBA_FREAK_01 Newbie

Armenia
  12. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i just got a couple ds links for people lol, dslink is so cheap (only $17 plus shipping), so it was cheaper then other flash carts, and with a 1gb kingston only about $15, it was a great deal as presents, the only problem is of course having to flash their ds's.

13. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well unless the person is willing to flash their ds, its not really a option, and its a real bother to plug in a M4 passme then plug in the dslink, my friend who i got the ds link for had tons of problems when he plugged in his slot 2 flash cart, the ds would boot to it, and he got tired of holding down the button lol, so i just gave him the M4 flash cart program, and it boots fine lol,whenver his dsl boots to his slot 2 flash cart he just runs the mk4 mini rom and it loads lol, if you guys want the Mk4 mini rom pm me, ill send you a link lol.