DSL vs PSP

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by juggernaut911, Jul 18, 2006.

Jul 18, 2006

DSL vs PSP by juggernaut911 at 2:17 AM (2,922 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. juggernaut911
    OP

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    me and my friends argue about which is cooler, the PSP or the awesome DSL? I mean who cares that the PSP can play movies without a extra accessories. The DSL has two slots so you have two games at a time and WAY cooler games. The PSP just can do more multi-media easier. Video Game handheld consoles are about playing cool games (DSL) and having fun while playing them. But pushing buttons isnt all fun, so the DSL has a touch screen and a mic to give commands! LONG LIVE THE DSL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Hey, werent you the one from craigslist? =P

Having both is better than only one, I must say.

3. juggernaut911
    OP

Featured Posts:
    United States
    you saw my ad?

4. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I was the one who was considering the trade with the M3 (magicalsleeper)...I just couldnt get myself to get rid of it, no matter what could be done with the Box and modding it. sorry man, you'll understand once you get yours [​IMG]

5. juggernaut911
    OP

Featured Posts:
    United States
    whoa De-Ja-Vu

6. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I agree, PSP's are mainly media purposes...but PSP's do have some damn good games(GTA, SWBF, Untold Legends...).

7. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Dont forget Hot Shots Golf =) That was the only game keeping me from selling my first PSP back when it was a new game...

8. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Oh boy, here comes the flame war....

Keep this nice and civil and it will stay open [​IMG]

I say both DSL and PSP are great. DSL has some great interesting games, PSP has some great media capabilities and homebrew + is just starting to come out with some really A+ games. For example Loco Roco, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid, Field Commander, Blade Dancer, Monster Hunter...

At the moment I'm playing my PSP a lot more than my DSL. There's nothing good out for DSL at the moment, where as I'm playing Loco Roco and Burnout Legends on my PSP.

Bottom line, they're both good and focus on slightly different things, that's why owning both really gives you the best of both worlds [​IMG]

9. juggernaut911
    OP

Featured Posts:
    United States
    dude are you saying new super mario bros isnt good!?!? ouch... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    No, NSMB was very good, but it was over too soon and very easy. I finished it a while ago. I'll probably play through it again at a later date. The multiplayer in it was godlike [​IMG]

But at the moment I'm not playing anything on my DSL, nothing new is out. FF3 in English is probably my most anticipated for it at the moment, and that's not coming out for quite a while.

11. thejinx0r

Newcomer thejinx0r Newbie

Featured Posts:
    I mostly bought a DS Lite because I can backup my games without a hassle.

Besides, the PSP games are one huge of a file, so it would either take me a lot of memory cards or just fewer per card.

i like the fact that I can carry 20-40 games at a time... even if it will cost me a little extra.

12. OG LOCC NESS

Member OG LOCC NESS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    I prefer PSP much more than I do the DS. Why you ask?? More homebrew of course. There are many excellent emulators out for the PSP right now, such as the SNES, NES, Neo-Geo, and many others I just don't use. There are also much better video quality (AVC) and can play full videos at around 300 MB. Memory sticks are also getting bigger and cheaper, so a 1 GB is around $40. The PSP is also picking up on the pace; many great games are coming soon.

13. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Well actually if you want to realistically play movies, you would have to buy a bigger memory stick which technically is an accessory. That's like another 80 bucks. On the other hand, if you had a DSL, you could take that 80 and buy a flashcard/passkey combo and have the ability to play multimedia shit as well as roms withouth having to worry about downgrading and shit. Sounds like the better deal to me.

14. _ORiON_

Member _ORiON_ GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Philippines
    here goes this "Which is better?" posts.

It simply depends on your focus, and your likes. That's all. Using figurative words in your sentences makes them your opinions. And as they are your opinions, everyone has the right to think what one would really choose between those two handhelds.

The number of accessories and features and specifications does not count. What counts is how a handheld becomes useful for your purposes.

In my part I find preferring DSL than PSP since I like to play games at a rather different style: the touch screen and voice recognition.

And I'm sure those who want some taste of multimedia will choose PSP of course.

It's a matter of choice.

15. OG LOCC NESS

Member OG LOCC NESS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Featured Posts:
    United States
    But the PSP plays much better quality movies, it's easier to download pre-formatted movies, and you can fit more (not sure about this one). The PSP also has a pretty nice viewing screen.

16. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    I was buying the PSP for a game system...not a freaking media centre that keeps me paying out of the ass. Due to the recent developments of Devhook that can boot Firmware 2.71, the PSP has become a bit more interesting...but I mainly use it to play a bit of Gradius here and there (which is by far the best PSP game out right now)...until Every Extend Extra, there probably won't be any more hit games...

PSP just has too many games that suck or are too common.

17. serious_sean

Member serious_sean GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    the psp has some really cool oddball gems that hearken back to classic gaming. these games are all pretty innovative, too.

I suggest:
    Mercury ( marble madness for the 21st century )
    Gripshift ( a deeper, better monkey ball-esque racing game )
    Exit ( gratifying puzzle madness )

I love my DS and PSP!

18. Hunter

Former Staff Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    my DSL is 1.5mbit. why does everyone keep calling the DSLite DSL you cannot connect your phone line to it and get internet access

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL

19. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

Featured Posts:
    New Zealand
    DSlite vs PSP
    for me, DSlite is king.. Im broke as fuck (10c on my phone and that is it.) and I got far much more for my money (when I had it) by buying a DSlite + all my games.. and the most interesting thing on the PSP for me is snes emulation, but even at that, the only games I'd really want to play is stunt race FX, starfox and yoshis island.

but the main thing keeping me from buying a PSP is the sony label.

but regardless, this is only what I think and that shouldnt affect what anyone else thinks.

20. s1r1u5

Newcomer s1r1u5 Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Well...
    i have both now....
    I bought first the psp but (there was something missing in there) as a gamer i was really watching closely the ds system and its different gaming aproach, then came the DSlite and i could'nt resist anymore...
    So i think both systems are different and it's hard for me to compare...
    I think it really depends on what you like. I confess i like the psp system very much with all those capabilities and what they can do for games but sometimes more is also less and i have to confess that the ds (that is a weaker capability system) is in my point of view the undisputed queen of originality with it's games and gaming approach...
    so sometimes less is also more [​IMG]
    i'm quite happy with both and i like both the same way... (there are no jealous systems in here [​IMG] )
    but in conclusion, i think that one of those systems gives me what the other can't do so well so i need both to achieve my gaming needs. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    my 2 cents exposed [​IMG]
    greetings [​IMG]