Hacking DSL battery question

Red_Slash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello to all good folks at GBA temp forums. I've been floating about as a guest for some time now, the forum proves to be quite informative and helpful overall so I'm thankful.

My question is rather simple, but has been bugging me severely (as it seems, that specific point is not covered in the manual, and even NOA tech support staff couldn't help me there); maybe they didn't understand the question or didn't want to really answer it, but alas.
I'll cut to the chase then:

Assuming I use the AC adapter plugged in the mains (a power outlet if you will) does the DSL's battery get drained anyway, or does the DSL get power from the outlet instead and conserves battery? I ask because despite it being a portable, I treat it much like a home console (I don't like playing it on the go when I can help it, so I'd like to conserve the battery power for when I really need it).

Hopefully someone can clarify that point to me, thanks beforehand

Purses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It uses the power source straight up. A way to prove it, is you can remove the battery and still have it plugged in and work.

Red_Slash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ah I see, thank you very much Purses.
Just to make sure, that is true for both the original DS (the so called 'fat' it seems?) and Lite correct?

xrM

Trophies
XP
Country
I think with most electronic devices out there, if the AC is plugged in, it will always use the power from there, as well as charge the battery if needed.

GhostToast

Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
another thing to consider is... would having it plugged in ALL the time be detrimental to the battery? would that shorten the battery life to never have it drained down to low before being charged, to always be "topped off"?

perhaps that is a problem that batteries only used to have?

rrg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My only input is that these batteries Li-ion batteries prefer partial discharges. That's one reason (I read) that the DS will turn on the red LED at 30% discharge not lower or fully down.

Leaving it plugged in will not hurt it but the batteries are designed to be used. One thing to avoid is heat. So if the charger is constantly plugged in and makes the device run warm? Than that could degrade the battery. Remove the battery if you never use it unplugged.

my2cents.

Red_Slash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
According to the answers I got from NOA and my own observance, one cannot do such thing as overcharge a DS battery, the portable halts the charging process when its not needed, so it couldn't possibly overheat.

The issue then is are normal operational conditons here, battery or no battery; if you rule out external conditions such as environmental heat (of course that is detrimental to any kind of battery, even old nickel based ones, or the acid based ones used in cars and toys - there is a risk of explosion under extreme heat or pressure, but one won't be facing such conditions normally at all, unless one is very careless that is, but I believe no one wants their DS to suffer a meltdown.

That said, rrg is correct about the lithium battery operation procedure - the recharge cycle gets stressed if you force it to run dry completely, thus, 30% is the safe margin for a recharge (in other words, the red LED lit on).
The only normal scenario that could cause overheating as I see it is if you play and recharge at the same time and even so, it should be tolerable to the system as the circumstance must have been foreseen by the electronic engineers at NOA, even if its not the ideal scenario, I doubt it would be outright damaging.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS and other electronic devices with rechargeable batteries will naturally have their battery level lowered over time.
The DS (and Lite) will run off the AC current, but it will also trickle charge the Li-Ion battery due to the constant loss of energy.
(Don't worry it's not too much energy, maybe 0.025% an hour?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1