Homebrew Dsiware won't play in English on cfw Japanese n3ds

Lanto

Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 18, 2021
Messages
9
Trophies
0
Age
30
XP
66
Country
United States
My google-fu is whack and not turning up anyone with this specific problem.

For reference: I have a Japanese n3ds with luma cfw. I've successfully managed to get games running that are virtual console, gb and gba I injected using nsui, nds and 3ds I used godmode9 to convert into cia, all of them playing in english (both translation patches and official dumps) but this is the one thing/type of game that's throwing me through a loop: Dsiware only plays in Japanese. But more specifically, there's some odd things going on with logos regarding region changes... these are all USA versions of the .nds files, but depending on the game, there will be some English, only Japanese, titles under the icon before boot in Japanese but English graphical logo on boot, or the opposite. Sort of hard to explain, so here's specific examples.

X-Scape: Title before boot under icon reads "X-Scape" the USA title. But on boot, the graphic logo is "X-Returns," the Japanese title, and everything's in Japanese.
Art Style: Aquia: Title before boot under icon reads "Aquario", the Japanese title. But on boot, the graphic logo is the USA ver, "Aquia," there's an ESRB, and everything's in English.
Art Style: Box Life: Title before boot under icon reads "Hacolife," the Japanese title. But on boot, the graphic logo is the USA ver, "Box Life, there's an ESRB, but everything is in Japanese.

This weirdness is happening with all of the Art Style series, but it's not consistent in how it manifests. Additionally, "Base 10" had no option like the others to convert into cia using godmode9, so I tried a forwarder but it won't load at all. Note that I've used forwarders with success in every other case, but for DS games only.

I tried locale switching to no avail, and when I tried using the localeswitching frontend it doesn't even list titles for the dsiware to auto-switch for me. I tried both kinds of title IDs for manually doing locale.txt (I was confused on whether to use the ctr or twl ones from the 3Dbrew list, so I did both) but nothing.

What's going on here?
 
Last edited by Lanto,
  • Like
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2015
Messages
1,914
Trophies
0
XP
1,397
Country
Colombia
If that DSiWare games have japanese language available, and if your console is from japanese region (which only japanese language is setted), then that happens. And, afaik, locale settings on Luma doesn't apply on DSi (TWL) mode, only on normal 3DS mode.

If you want to run these games on english or another available language different to the japanese one, then perharps using TWLMenu++ works for you
 
Last edited by fmkid,
  • Like
Reactions: Lanto

RocketRobz

Coolest of TWL
Developer
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Messages
14,835
Trophies
2
Age
22
XP
16,935
Country
United States
If that DSiWare games have japanese language available, and if your console is from japanese region (which only japanese language is setted), then that happens. And, afaik, locale settings on Luma doesn't apply on DSi (TWL) mode, only on normal 3DS mode.

If you want to run these games on english or another available language different to the japanese one, then perharps using TWLMenu++ works for you
For that, you'll have to wait until nds-bootstrap supports DSi mode, in order for DSiWare to boot.
Alternatively, you could try changing the Japanese files to English in the .nds file, using this Tinke build, and then converting the edited .nds to .cia
 
  • Like
Reactions: fmkid and Lanto
General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://imgur.com/gallery/z7OjH2L