Homebrew DSiWare to NAND Package: A tool to help you with adding DSiWare to your NAND

acrash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
----------------------This tool is outdated. MelonDS has a DSiWare title manager now-----------------------

*You can still find the tool in the attached files if you want it.
*MelonDS has a DSiWare title manager that requires TMD files for each title, which it can download automatically. But if you're worried that one day you won't be able to download these TMD files so easily, I also attached a collection of TMD files.

(Updated 25-09-2021): better collection & organization of TMD files

----------------------This tool is outdated. MelonDS has a DSiWare title manager now-----------------------

MelonDS has recently been able to run DSiWare games but only from a DSi NAND.

If you have dumped your NAND & you dumped your DSiWare games (and hopefully checked their hash against No-Intro database),
this tool will help you add your DSiWare games to your NAND file in order to be playable in melonDS

Requirements
--------------------------------------------------------
A) Download "DSiWare to NAND Package" (in the attachments)
B) Install Python
C) NAND file with No$gba footer (if you know your CID and Console ID, this tool can add the footer. see Optional 2 in the "Instructions" file)
D) DSiWare games from the same region as your NAND in the form of .nds files (if what you have are .app files or files without extension, then just batch rename the files to have .nds extension with THIS)
E) Encrypted ticket file from your NAND (to get this, see Section II in the "Instructions" file)
F) A program to mount the NAND file. e.g. OSFMount
G) READ THE [Instructions.txt] FILE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

Disclaimer: I only tested this on the melonDS emulator. I don’t currently have a DSi console to test it on
Although, I believe that you need to remove the No$gba footer from your new NAND.bin file before flashing it to your DSi (correct me if I'm wrong)

Attachments

• DSiWare to NAND Package.rar
    9.3 MB · Views: 394
  • TMD Files (revision extension).rar
    3.6 MB · Views: 338
  • TMD Files (tmd extension).rar
    3.6 MB · Views: 330
Last edited by acrash,

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

If you have dumped your NAND & you dumped your DSiWare games (and hopefully checked their hash against No-Intro database),
this tool will help you add your DSiWare games to your NAND file in order to be playable in melonDS

Requirements
A) Download "DSiWare to NAND Package" (also in the attachments)
B) Install Python
C) NAND file with No$gba footer (if you know your CID and Console ID, this tool can add the footer. see Optional 2 in the "Instructions" file)
D) DSiWare games from the same region as your NAND in the form of .nds files (if what you have are .app files or files without extension, then just batch rename the files to have .nds extension with THIS)
E) Encrypted ticket file from your NAND (to get this, see Section I in the "Instructions" file)

Disclaimer: I only tested this on the melonDS emulator. I don’t currently have a DSi console to test it on
Although, I believe that you need to remove the No$gba footer from your new NAND.bin file before flashing it to your DSi (correct me if I'm wrong)

I wanted to create a similar tool, but I'm glad someone has already done it
I'll try it on my DSi and let you know how it goes

I have a few recommendations for anyone who wants to try this:
  1. I really recommend to have at least unlaunch installed on your console, just in case something gets screwed up and it can't boot to the launcher (unlaunch also removes region checks, and even seems to allow titles with invalid or absent tmds to boot)
  2. When you decide to install DSiWare, create a brand new NAND backup and use that as a base
  3. Use SafeNANDManager instead of other tools or hardmod to write the modified backup, because that tool only overwrites the sectors that have changed so it avoids a lot of wear on the apparently very crappy NAND chips Nintendo used for these consoles

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

SoniaAmadon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, made an account so that I can post here!

I've been having issues with getting the outputted NAND to work in MelonDS, are there any sort of error logs or something I can submit and/or look through? I'm following the instructions in the following order:

(With all of the requisite programs installed) I'm putting the properly-named NAND.bin in Input, running the Decrypt NAND.bat and getting the tickets from there (a discrepancy I noticed is that my folder 00030004 does not contain folders but instead contains the .tiks themselves), I've tried about twenty tickets with no avail.

All of my .nds files are not lacking a .tmd.

Inputting all of the files, running Step 1.bat, waiting, mounting, putting the two folders into the .bin's partition, dismounting, running step 2.bat, and trying to run the New_NAND.bin in MelonDS- I get the "Touch the Screen to Continue" screen, and when I do so, immediate black screen with the error message.

I have tried every .tik in 00030004, I only have a few games, and none of the files or any folder the tool is in have non-Latin characters.

The NAND I am using is from a certain archival site uploaded on June 24, 2020.

acrash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, made an account so that I can post here!

I've been having issues with getting the outputted NAND to work in MelonDS, are there any sort of error logs or something I can submit and/or look through? I'm following the instructions in the following order:

(With all of the requisite programs installed) I'm putting the properly-named NAND.bin in Input, running the Decrypt NAND.bat and getting the tickets from there (a discrepancy I noticed is that my folder 00030004 does not contain folders but instead contains the .tiks themselves), I've tried about twenty tickets with no avail.

All of my .nds files are not lacking a .tmd.

Inputting all of the files, running Step 1.bat, waiting, mounting, putting the two folders into the .bin's partition, dismounting, running step 2.bat, and trying to run the New_NAND.bin in MelonDS- I get the "Touch the Screen to Continue" screen, and when I do so, immediate black screen with the error message.

I have tried every .tik in 00030004, I only have a few games, and none of the files or any folder the tool is in have non-Latin characters.

The NAND I am using is from a certain archival site uploaded on June 24, 2020.

Try this and please tell me if it worked

Run the NAND in melonDS BEFORE using the tool on it and format it within melonDS:
System Settings-->Format System Memory-->Format-->Format-->Format-->OK
Run the NAND again in melonDS and choose the desired options (don't change the NAND region) until you get to the DSi main menu (when it asks you to take a picture choose NO/LATER) then close melonDS.
Now copy the NAND you just formatted to the tool "DSiWare to NAND Package" and use the tool on it as in the instructions file
(you won't have any tickets in the [00030004] folder, take one from the other folders)

Tell me what happens. I will be checking what the problem is tomorrow
Sorry for the inconvenience. If you get any problems please report them

Last edited by acrash,

SoniaAmadon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this and please tell me if it worked

Run the NAND in melonDS BEFORE using the tool on it and format it within melonDS:
System Settings-->Format System Memory-->Format-->Format-->Format-->OK
Run the NAND again in melonDS and choose the desired options (don't change the NAND region) until you get to the DSi main menu (when it asks you to take a picture choose NO/LATER) then close melonDS.
Now copy the NAND you just formatted to the tool "DSiWare to NAND Package" and use the tool on it as in the instructions file
(you won't have any tickets in the [00030004] folder, take one from the other folders)

Tell me what happens. I will be checking what the problem is tomorrow
Sorry for the inconvenience. If you get any problems please report them

That worked, thank you so much for the help!

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not required, if using Safe NAND Manager.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Requirements
A) Download "DSiWare to NAND Package" (also in the attachments)
B) Install Python
E) Encrypted ticket file from your NAND (to get this, see Section I in the "Instructions" file)

I'm now trying the tool, but of the 6 DSiWare i tried to add only one has worked

acrash

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm now trying the tool, but of the 6 DSiWare i tried to add only one has worked
Did you make sure that the DSiWare game is of the same region as the NAND? DSiWare files have .nds extension AND matching No-Intro database? And NOT have special characters in their names?

Also, as I stated in the OP, I only tested this with melonDS

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That worked, thank you so much for the help!
"I think" I know the problem.
Will be fixed soon
------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I haven't figured out the problem.
It seems that the NAND will only work with the tool if it has been formatted by melonDS at least once.
I have updated the information in the "instructions" file to reflect this

Last edited by acrash,

HomeStarRunnerTron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@acrash -- Your work on this is absolutely phenomenal. REALLY versatile, multi-purpose tools once you know what it all does-- none of us plebs could be doing any of this right now without you! And the functionality of melonDS is just fabulous! There's just one problem that doesn't occur in no$gba... in melonDS, there's no ability to drag your mouse PAST the touch screen without it freaking out! If you do that, it immediately starts going in the wrong direction, rather than sticking to the corresponding edges of the touch screen like it does in no$gba!

Here's a comparison of what happens, even trying to drag games around on the menu...

Anyone know any way to fix this problem? I just posted it as an issue on the GitHub. This is a pretty big dealbreaker on games like X-SCAPE. I'll constantly go too far to one side of the touch screen trying to steer and it'll flip me in the opposite direction.

EDIT: It's been fixed in the Nightly build! Here it is for Mac users, too! (This is accessed through this link in the README.md.) I also made a personal build that's less bulky due to multiple frameworks not needing to be in there for all platforms.

With that out of the way, time to prattle on a bit about my experience.

---

So I started out using no$gba and documented my tricky process to adding new games to the system here, involving Unlaunch, HiyaCFW and TWiLightMenu++. But melonDS allows none of this at the moment due to firmware incompatibility.

HERE'S A WHOLE BUNCH OF DUMB THINGS I LEARNED:
• This is probably a problem that will only affect me, but as a Mac user who emulates Windows 10 in Boot Camp, OSFMount refuses to properly lock any drive after modification for me. So, instead, I have to run Windows XP in VirtualBox and use an older version [OSFMount v1.5.1015 (32-bit)] to properly mount and dismount my Decrypted NANDs. Whatever works.

• The instructions say it doesn't matter what you name your ROMs when you put them in the "Input" folder-- but it actually matters a bit! I noticed the "TMD Check.bat" throwing me an error when my ROM name had an exclamation point in it, so I made special care to modestly title my ROMs.

• The "DSi-1.mmc" file that serves as a NAND in no$gba is essentially the same as the .bin that melonDS wants! All you have to do is rename it to "NAND.bin", and all of these decryption tools will work perfectly with it. Or if you wanted to bring your melonDS NAND to no$gba, just rename it "DSi-1.mmc".

... One tricksy issue about no$gba-to-melonDS, though, which you're likely to encounter: If you try to put a NAND into melonDS that actually has a wallpaper image up on the main screen, it will NOT BOOT. This is because literally anything that uses the Camera doesn't work on melonDS. (Or no$gba, although no$gba seems to at least be fine with the wallpaper.) Therefore, before you do anything, you either have to completely reformat your DSi and delete everything on it on your actual DSi, or on no$gba, because no$gba recognizes your wallpaper.

• Speaking of which, when the Instructions.txt talks about Formatting, this is an IN-SYSTEM thing. I thought maybe my Mac version of melonDS was missing something in the melonDS Preferences to format my NAND exactly the way it wanted to for the sake of this process, but no! The document is referring to literally going into the DSi System Settings app-- that big obvious app with the wrench-- and then tapping the -> arrow and selecting "Format System Memory" to format and delete everything there. Duh-doy. Anyway, this is going to be an important thing to do regardless of if you're using your no$gba NAND or if you're using someone else's already functioning melonDS NAND, since as the document mentions, adding more games won't work unless you're freshly formatted, with everything deleted, and importantly, no wallpaper added through the unsupported Camera function.

• If you, like me, added Unlaunch, HiyaCFW and TWiLightMenu++ to your NAND, you may as well start over with an unhacked NAND dump rather than going through all the efforts of uninstalling everything. However, if you feel you have no choice but to work with what you have, make sure you make a copy of the stuff on your SD card and your NAND before. You might make some mistakes. (Remember: Your SD card is now your main NAND with all this hacking installed-- if you try to, say, format your DS, it'll actually be deleting everything off your SD card.) To properly uninstall all the hacking, first you reopen Unlaunch, run that uninstaller, then Format by opening the System Settings app inside the DSi system.

• You probably want to preserve your saves before formatting! Good news: this is pretty easy.

If the saves in question are for a game that was installed on your NAND without using the Title Manager for HiyaCFW, then it's actually on your NAND. Just drop your NAND into that Input folder, name it "NAND.bin", then run "Decrypt NAND.bat". Run OSFMount and use it to mount the "DecryptedNAND.bin" that will have appeared in the "Mount" folder. Inside, you're going to go looking in the "title" folder-- then in the folder labelled "00030004"-- looking for the folder that has the right ID for the game you're trying to extract the save from. You can reverse-engineer that by putting the ROM of the game in question into that "Input" folder and running "List Games IDs.bat", but you can also just look at a compiled list of Game IDs! I found a great one here that's only missing a few. Inside the folder with the ID, there should be a folder labelled "data" that you can then take a ".sav" file out of that contains all your save data.

If the saves in question were installed by Title Manager for HiyaCFW, they are probably on the SD's emuNAND. This means you can run OSFMount and use it to mount the SD card, then opening "title", "00030004", then opening the folder with the name of your game's ID, then looking into the "data" folder for the ".sav" file.

Once this is done, you can then copy this ".sav" file in the same directory (replacing the default .sav in there) once the game is installed on your finalized NAND-- just look in the same place: title > 00030004 > [gameID] > data.

• At first, I tried to put as many games as I could possibly fit on one NAND before re-encrypting it, but I found that sometimes, the NAND corrupts when you put on as many as can fit. The instructions say you can install 40 games, but that doesn't actually seem very possible-- unless you had, like, 40 3MB games. I've found somewhere between 10-12 (about 125MB) games tends to be a safe bet, and anything after that, EVEN IF IT TECHNICALLY ISN'T PAST CAPACITY, may corrupt the NAND. If you want to know how Nintendo Blocks correspond with actual filesizes, use this calculator.

• Speaking of which, I nearly decided to make five separate NANDs to hold all the games that I would switch between, but... BOY, would that be cumbersome. Instead, I found out a way to make it so I could properly keep this all functioning with only one NAND active.

First, I put all 50 games I had planned into the "Input" folder, along with the "NAND.bin" and its "EncryptedTicket.tik" file, then ran "Add Games (Step 1).bat". Then I used OSFMount to mount the "DecryptedNAND.bin" newly generated in the "Mount" folder. Then, also, in the "Mount" folder, I opened up "ticket", then opened up "00030004" (just like in "title"). In there is a whole bunch of ticket files that, in essence, cross-reference your individual NAND, telling the NAND that you can actually install these games.

So, in the newly mounted NAND, I go into: ticket > 00030004 ... and drop all 50 tickets I made for all 50 games into that folder. Then, to compensate for the file limitations, I went to my "Mount" folder, then into: title > 00030004 ... and only selected about 10-12 (about 125MB) of those games and copied those into the same directory in the mounted NAND: title > 00030004.

Then I unmounted the NAND, ran "Add Games (Step 2).bat", took the "New_NAND.bin" created in the "Output" folder, placed it outside of the folder and renamed it, so I'd know what it was...

... then I went back into the "Mount" folder, ran OSFMount to mount the "DecryptedNAND.bin" again, deleted the last 10 games I'd copied into the "00030004" folder, and added another 10, ran "Add Games (Step 2).bat", renamed and moved this next "New_NAND.bin", then went and did it again and again until all 50 games were installed, spread across five different NANDs that all had the right tickets to properly install them!

• It was at this point that I had to make myself an SD card for melonDS-- which is in a different format than no$gba's SDs. Instead, you use an empty, modifiable IMG file created with Virtual SD Card Maker, which is documented here. This is ran through the Terminal/Shell on your system of choice (it's cross-platform-- Mac, PC, Linux).

For me, as a Mac user, I went to Terminal in Applications > Utilities, then typed in "cd [insert directory where the unzipped OSX folder for Virtual SD Card Maker is]" first, hit Enter, then typed in "./mksdcard -l melonDSi [insert filesize of my choice in MB]M sd.img" Then the .img file is generated in that folder, ready for use.

For the holding of about 50 games (with at least 125MB staying on the NAND), I decided on a 400MB SD card, since I like to be conscientious about space on my computer, hahaha. Then I added this SD card and one of the NANDs to melonDS.

At this point, I then went to each one of the NANDs, went into the DSi's System Settings app, then used Data Management to copy all the games from all of these separate NANDs to my one SD card. Then, I could easily move an installed game back onto the SD card for extra space, then re-install a game from the SD card onto my NAND whenever I want to play something else. And because of that step where I put all 50 tickets onto the NANDs, they'll all work! (As a note, if you don't put all the tickets on, then games will say they cannot be copied to your NAND.)

• Maybe you're asking yourself, "What format are games and their save files in when you copy them to the SD card?" It compresses the game and all its information into a single BIN file. I'm unsure of what kind of compression this is. Maybe someone else knows! But at the moment, I can't think of a way to switch out save files and such from there.

• One of the things about not being able to use TWiLightMenu++ is that there's no way to run any foreign-only games unless you dump the right region's NAND. So as a forewarning: if you try to install any Japanese or European-only games onto your NAND, they will just not appear.

• Games look and sound better in melonDS than in no$gba-- it's pretty easy to tell the difference, even just comparing the ambient BGM on the menu in both emulators. Plus, it actually runs on a Mac without me having to do dorky emulation ON-top of running the emulator! Sheer bliss.

EDIT: I knew I forgot something! For anyone who needs suggestions, here's the 12 games I put on my NAND and the 38 others on my SD card. Some of these don't even work on either emulator yet, but I'm coming prepared.

• BOXLIFE Art Style Series
  • Divergent Shift
  • A Kappa's Trail
  • Mighty Milky Way
  • Mixed Messages™
  • Orion's Odyssey
  • Rabi Lady
  • Roller Angels
  • Snapdots
  • Surviving High School™
  • X-SCAPE
  • Zoonies - Escape from Makatu
---
  • 1950s Lawn Mower Kids™
  • ACE MATHICIAN
  • AlphaBounce
  • American Popstar Road to Celebrity <-- functions now thanks to webcam compatibility
  • Antipole
  • AQUIA Art Style Series
  • Aura-Aura Climber
  • BASE 10 Art Style Series
  • Candle Route
  • CHRONOS TWINS One Hero in Two Times
  • COLOR COMMANDO
  • Dark Void™ Zero
  • DIGIDRIVE Art Style Series
  • DoDoGo!
  • Doodle Fit
  • Escapee GO!
  • FLIPPER
  • FLIPPER 2 FLUSH THE GOLDFISH
  • Gaia's Moon
  • G.G Series ALL BREAKER
  • Looksley's Line Up <-- doesn't work
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong Minis March Again!
  • Mighty Flip Champs!™
  • PiCTOBiTS Art Style Series
  • Picdun GO Series
  • Pro-Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!?
  • precipice Art Style Series
  • Rabi Lady 2
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge™
  • Soul of Darkness
  • Spin Six
  • Spotto!
  • SteamWorld Tower Defense
  • WarioWare: Snapped! <-- doesn't work
  • ZENGAGE Art Style Series
  • ZENONIA®
  • Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition

Hope this helps some people decide what might be of most interest to play first! ^_^ If you know where the other no$gba/melonDS NAND dumps and such are, I just posted my own at the same place.

Last edited by HomeStarRunnerTron,

steven3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
when i try to decrypt the NAND it just complains about not being able to open it. i've renamed the NAND, formatted it, chosen the "desired options", and put in the "input" folder. i've also installed python.

Last edited by steven3004,

HomeStarRunnerTron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i try to decrypt the NAND it just complains about not being able to open it. i've renamed the NAND, formatted it, chosen the "desired options", and put in the "input" folder. i've also installed python.

The .bat file complains about not being able to open it? Or melonDS complains about not being able to open it? You should take some screenshots of these alerts, that would help.

steven3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
The .bat file complains about not being able to open it? Or melonDS complains about not being able to open it? You should take some screenshots of these alerts, that would help.
There.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 231

HomeStarRunnerTron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do find it interesting this is running off of Drive I. I don't know how your computer is set up, but are you running this on an external drive? It might not function correctly on an external drive. Besides that, I mean, maybe you don't have a No$GBA footer on your NAND? That needs to be added.

steven3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I do find it interesting this is running off of Drive I. I don't know how your computer is set up, but are you running this on an external drive? It might not function correctly on an external drive. Besides that, I mean, maybe you don't have a No$GBA footer on your NAND? That needs to be added.
It gives me the same results on any other drive, but I guess I will do something about the NO$GBA footer

john458

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
@acrash

• BOXLIFE Art Style Series
  • Divergent Shift
  • A Kappa's Trail
  • Mighty Milky Way
  • Mixed Messages™
  • Orion's Odyssey
  • Rabi Lady
  • Roller Angels
  • Snapdots
  • Surviving High School™
  • X-SCAPE
  • Zoonies - Escape from Makatu
---
  • 1950s Lawn Mower Kids™
  • ACE MATHICIAN
  • AlphaBounce
  • American Popstar Road to Celebrity <-- doesn't work after intro
  • Antipole
  • AQUIA Art Style Series
  • Aura-Aura Climber
  • BASE 10 Art Style Series
  • Candle Route
  • CHRONOS TWINS One Hero in Two Times
  • COLOR COMMANDO
  • Dark Void™ Zero
  • DIGIDRIVE Art Style Series
  • DoDoGo!
  • Doodle Fit
  • Escapee GO!
  • FLIPPER
  • FLIPPER 2 FLUSH THE GOLDFISH
  • Gaia's Moon
  • G.G Series ALL BREAKER
  • Looksley's Line Up <-- doesn't work
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong Minis March Again!
  • Mighty Flip Champs!™
  • PiCTOBiTS Art Style Series
  • Picdun GO Series
  • Pro-Jumper! Guilty Gear Tangent!?
  • precipice Art Style Series
  • Rabi Lady 2
  • Shantae: Risky's Revenge™
  • Soul of Darkness
  • Spin Six
  • Spotto!
  • SteamWorld Tower Defense
  • WarioWare: Snapped! <-- doesn't work
  • ZENGAGE Art Style Series
  • ZENONIA®
  • Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition

If you know where the other no$gba/melonDS NAND dumps and such are, I just posted my own at the same place.
Plz. Could you send me an email with a link to download NAND.bin with these games? Thanks.

Reactions: HomeStarRunnerTron

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs